Biology Ancient Australia (Extinct Megafauna, Dinosaurs etc)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just recently found out i can volunteer my time online and transcribe botany specimen data sheets from the sa museum so they have a digital record of them, it's very interesting to go through.
Good on you.

This fossil is a beauty, a one in a trillion. Look at the soft tissue preservation. Meet Ptychodos, a 75 myo mackerel shark, from the same family that includes the extinct gigantic shark megalodon and our current great white shark.

1713998057468.png
Note - Other than their teeth, sharks preserve poorly because they have no bones. Often paleos will have millions of shark teeth from an animal and that's all. This is truly remarkable.

I've been watching Peter do this reconstruction of a short faced kangaroo, Simosthenurus occidentalis over the last few months, this is the first time I've seen it placed in a scene. Peter agonised over issues like the dew claw and the shape of the toes, matters which remain uncertain but are resolved by plonking it in a bit of grass.

1714433750351.png

Paleo's have just released a paper about Simosthenurus occidentalis

I think I have posted about this before, these guys are believed to be walkers rather than hoppers, some have suggested an upright gait like a human, others have suggested a posture more like a bipedal dino. Peter has avoided the issue by posing it in a stationary position.

Added - I remembered I did a 'digital sketch' of it walking in a dino like fashion last year, the neck looks too long. Anyway here it is:

struthright.jpg

Last edited:

Went to the Adelaide museum today, just seeing the T rex skull cast makes you wonder how crazy the earth was with these magnificent creatures roaming around.

Went to the Adelaide museum today, just seeing the T rex skull cast makes you wonder how crazy the earth was with these magnificent creatures roaming around.
I had a similar feeling seeing the Triceratops MOV has. There was no place for large mammals such as ourselves with T-rex et al running around, lucky that big rock hit.

1715316772968.png
Totally irrelevant but very nice reconstruction of a typical Ediacaran 'frondomorph' by my friend Peter Trusler to start the post with, these are sessile animals, not plants. The Ediacaran period (691 to 541-mya) saw the rise of the first complex, active, multicellular organisms. These critters were powered by increasing oxygen levels over the previous billion years. Paleos argue about how much of the progressive rise oygen in the preceeding few billion years was biological and how much was geochemical, probably both. This article proposes a novel mechanism for higher oxygen levels occurring in Ediacaran, the loss of Earth's magnetic field about 591 mya.

The authors propose the loss of the magnetic field led to increased hydrogen leaking from the upper atmosphere resulting in an increase in available oxygen in the atmosphere and the oceans. This is speculative without any actual proof. The graph below shows atmospheric oxygen over the last billion years, you will note oxygen levels rising in the 40 million years before the loss of the magnetic field.

1715316277749.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back