News AFL to overhaul the draft, discuss changes to Academy and FS bid matching

Remove this Banner Ad

Only because they didn't pay anything close to a fair price.

Gold Coast and other Northern teams, and soon Tasmania, developing and accessing local talent is good for the game.

What isn't good for the game is being able to access these players for 50% of their value.

Increasing the value of higher picks would resolve 95% of the fairness issues and should have been done years ago.

What isn't good for the game is select clubs having a recruiting zone, everyone knows it

How are the Northern Academies being exploited and some links to back it up, please.

Kalani White available as an Academy selection is a start. Mills to Sydney another one.

There's been plenty.
The annual feeding frenzy on the GWS and Gold Coast lists by Victorian clubs isn't good for the game either, everyone knows it.

That's a ridiculous post, GWS has never been able to fit all their talent under the cap. This is what happens when you give a club unlimited supply to talent

Also doesn't explain the Sydney Academy rort

It's been half discussed but do we think we could ever get to a stage where there are basically two drafts, the points pool and the open draft? You have trade period, then you have the players that are linked to father / sons or academies go into a live auction where teams can bid on the player, some obvious discount for those tied to your club but not enough that it's not impossible for teams to outbid you if they REALLY like them. Finally, you pay your draft points and we go to the open draft?

Convoluted? Absolutely but damn as a draft / trade nerd would I not find it fun as *

Some important rules off the top of my head would be needing to use top 10, 1st round, 2nd or 3rd rounds picks at specific thresholds of points bid so that you dont have to hurt your top 10 pick for someone bid on for the value of a 3rd but you'd also find it very hard to "double dip" by getting multiple top 10 picks because of academy players (ie GC last year)

That would be Mills who was playing Union before the academies? You think it's a rort because his grandad played WAFL?

The same Mills whose mum publicly admitted that he was always going to play football, he spent his whole youth carrying a football with him and was only playing rugby to be with his school mates. The same Mills whose grandfather was Ray Mills, a WA footy great, the same Mills who barracked for Sydney since he was a little kid

Yeah that one, such an obvious rort and an absolute joke of the competition that Sydney gets a recruiting zone. Btu as I said, without massive AFL assistance, clubs like Sydney can never be successful.

The same Mills whose mum publicly admitted that he was always going to play football, he spent his whole youth carrying a football with him and was only playing rugby to be with his school mates. The same Mills whose grandfather was Ray Mills, a WA footy great, the same Mills who barracked for Sydney since he was a little kid

Yeah that one, such an obvious rort and an absolute joke of the competition that Sydney gets a recruiting zone. Btu as I said, without massive AFL assistance, clubs like Sydney can never be successful.
Interesting take.

Agree in relation to compromised draft. But it’s like saying VIC clubs wouldn’t win if they had to travel properly or the MCG didn’t host the GF.

It’s not an even comp. Never has been, but it’s more even than it has been before.

SA/WA clubs get the most screwed, so they have genuine valid complaints. All the tears from VIC teams are laughable.

The same Mills whose mum publicly admitted that he was always going to play football, he spent his whole youth carrying a football with him and was only playing rugby to be with his school mates.
Assuming that is true, was he actually playing football?
The same Mills whose grandfather was Ray Mills, a WA footy great, the same Mills who barracked for Sydney since he was a little kid
Yes, that's him. He wasn't playing football before the academy, and even if he was, there wasn't a talent pathway for him if the academy wasn't there.
Have Melbourne build their list from interstate players for the next 30 years and have zero access to Victorian players in the first two rounds and you can have a zone which has the participation rate of Sydney's lower north shore in 2009. I'd be all for it.

Interesting take.

Agree in relation to compromised draft. But it’s like saying VIC clubs wouldn’t win if they had to travel properly or the MCG didn’t host the GF.

It’s not an even comp. Never has been, but it’s more even than it has been before.

SA/WA clubs get the most screwed, so they have genuine valid complaints. All the tears from VIC teams are laughable.

Interesting take. Show me how Melbourne has benefitted from the MCG GF deal? Or perhaps you'd like to compare how many games a year Melbourne has a genuine home ground advantage compared to Sydney's? Or perhaps show me when Melbourne has had a COLA which enabled us to poach the best forward on the modern era. I guess not.

Compare those tears to the tears from Sydney fans if you dare to suggest their recruiting zone is a rort, kind of what you're doing right now

/shrug

Assuming that is true, was he actually playing football?

Yes, that's him. He wasn't playing football before the academy, and even if he was, there wasn't a talent pathway for him if the academy wasn't there.

Have Melbourne build their list from interstate players for the next 30 years and have zero access to Victorian players in the first two rounds and you can have a zone which has the participation rate of Sydney's lower north shore in 2009. I'd be all for it.

His mum fully admitted that he was always going to play AFL, the academies were originally sold to the comp as a way of getting kids without an AFL background into the sport.

It's a rort and everyone knows it, thankfully the AFL have dispensed with the bullshit excuses and don't pretend it's anything other than a way to artificially improve the Swans. And we all know if Sydney's performance drops of their fans will dump them in a heartbeat and the AFL wants the media money from NSW and Qld.

To suggest it is based on anything other than money is hilarious. Watching Sydney fans froth at the mouth defending it with bullshit reasons is also very funny to watch 🤣

His mum fully admitted that he was always going to play AFL, the academies were originally sold to the comp as a way of getting kids without an AFL background into the sport.
Was he playing football at the time? It's a yes or no question. It was actually sold as a way to increase intake into the AFL from NSW and QLD.

The idea that it was solely for kids who'd never even seen a football was put forward by cranks trying to discredit it.

Case in point: Mills. Wasn't actually playing football at the time, probably wasn't hugely likely to make it to the AFL, given the opportunities on the North Shore at the time.
It's a rort and everyone knows it, thankfully the AFL have dispensed with the bullshit excuses and don't pretend it's anything other than a way to artificially improve the Swans.
Really? Where?
To suggest it is based on anything other than money is hilarious. Watching Sydney fans froth at the mouth defending it with bullshit reasons is also very funny to watch 🤣
Jesus, talk about projection. You're in here typing paragraphs about how everyone is angry except you.

Interesting take. Show me how Melbourne has benefitted from the MCG GF deal? Or perhaps you'd like to compare how many games a year Melbourne has a genuine home ground advantage compared to Sydney's? Or perhaps show me when Melbourne has had a COLA which enabled us to poach the best forward on the modern era. I guess not.

Compare those tears to the tears from Sydney fans if you dare to suggest their recruiting zone is a rort, kind of what you're doing right now

/shrug
Just to clarify you are saying a significantly reduced need to travel interstate is a dis advantage?

MCG GF - with exception of WCE in ‘18 you need to go back to swans winning in ‘12 for a non VIC team premiership. I’ll concede there is some COVID years in there but for 50% of the comp that isn’t in VIC to have one 1 premiership in last 12 years…… yeah it’s the academies that are unfair you are right, my bad.

The AFL is not a level playing field but I know one thing for certain, the Vic clubs have more in their favour than any if the non Vic clubs. GF at the MCG is a massive advantage when it's your home ground/home city.

Like having the vast majority of their lists being of Vic origin negating the go home that all non Vic sides constantly face, particularly the four northern clubs which is why academies were created, to increase participation in the game north of the Murray and to assist northern clubs in having more home grown players on their lists.

We all know the bidding system is a farce, but that's a separate matter and being addressed. Remember the farce also helped Pies (Vic club) get Daicos for a bag of junk picks, Bulldogs (Vic club) get JUH and Darcy for a bag of junk picks.

Any Vic club supporter whinging about northern academies is truly not interested in any type of fairness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This won't happen. I think the AFL knows that the Swans on particular seem to benefit from the
A grade talent they get, Gold Coast do as well now ( and GWS did well before the Riverina was removed from the recruiting zone).

Yep, never do the straight forward fix. Always go for the nightmare permutations and combinations, keep the mess rolling year after year.

Doing this would mean Swans, GWS, Lions and Suns will be forced to invest in project / fringe players who need to be incubated longer before they see some realistic outcome. There will be more Wicks (Swans project), Coleman (missed draft as 18yo, stayed in VFL and got drafted next year) and Payne (another project player) rather than Heeney and Campbell type easy top end pickings. In my opinion that's the real reason for Academy. Give the fringe players a chance and if they make it, you reap the rewards for the investment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back