AFL NSW/ACT Development things

Remove this Banner Ad

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
1. A Female Youth Leadership Program has commenced in NSW, to attract more young, female "exceptional athletes"- from Aboriginal & non anglo/celtic backgrounds- to play AF at a much more elite level. It is heavily funded by NSW Govt. organisations.

aflnsw/act said

"Those invited to be part of the leadership programs missed out on traditional talent identification and testing due to the pandemic. They also saw this program pushed back several months, to ensure a safe environment for the camp.

Instead of attending gruelling testing days, participants supplied AFL NSW/ACT with prescribed data and footage, proving themselves as exceptional athletes.

This digital scouting identified a raft of talent, with the best being selected from Sydney’s east, south and west. There are also players from Canberra, the Central Coast, Shellharbour, Newcastle, the Central West, the North West, Broken Hill and Coffs Harbour".

As aboriginal & non anglo-celtic background players appear to be underrepresented, on a per capita basis, in GR AF etc. in NSW & ACT, it is hoped these types of programs will alleviate this imbalance. Many great Aboriginal players from NSW have played in the NRL- as have many non anglo/celtic background players have played for the Socceroos.

It is interesting that the FYLP includes females from all parts of NSW, except for NS, sthn. NSW, & far North Coast (GR female AF is strong in NS, weak in sthn NSW, & strong the far north Byron Bay region. I'm not sure how much of the required demographic is in these regions).

2. AFLNSW/ACT has initiated a very extensive "Summer Of Footy" program, "like no other" this summer across NSW & ACT.

This will ensure c. a 11 months pa GR AF environment (inc. AF in schools in Term 4)- at this scale, no other areas in Aust. compare.
(Excluding, possibly, the NT- which plays its elite NTFL in the wet season, for softer grounds over summer).

"Pre-season training for community clubs is already kicking into gear, school programming is back for the remainder of Term 4, NAB AFL Auskick registrations for 2022 are open, umpires are hitting the training track, talent programs and Academies are firing up, and the AFLW competition will be back bigger, better and longer than ever from early January.

Summer of Footy activities 2021/2022

In addition to the usual business of the pre-season, AFL NSW/ACT has developed a range of FREE activities:

• – AFL9s gala days across Sydney from 1 December
  • – Holiday camps to keep kids busy and active across NSW and the ACT
  • – Four-week AFLX programs kicking-off early 2022 across Greater Sydney
  • – Dozens of Come and Try events for new participants from January
  • – Auskick Christmas parties going off throughout December
  • – “Twelve days of Christmas” giveaways for our registered Auskickers (keep an eye on our socials!)
  • – Shopping centre AFL activations during the school holidays".

Last edited:
I never created this Thread, nor did I request or approve it.

The post is mine, which I posted in the Footy Industry Forum Thread "3rd Team in Sydney It's Only a Matter of Time".
Then I got a Mod Message to my inbox, saying it was not relevant to that Thread- & was, unilaterally, placed here.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back