Multiplat AFL 23 - Part 2 (23/04/24 PATCH: Sliders are here)

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange collision detection

A certain goal, thwarted :(

Almost goal of the year - have been able to do run from defence to the attacking 50 with a sole player a few times now.... just can't convert on the run :( lol

Is "tactical awareness" the only way to get the CPU to really pressure when using the sliders?

Strange collision detection

A certain goal, thwarted :(

Almost goal of the year - have been able to do run from defence to the attacking 50 with a sole player a few times now.... just can't convert on the run :( lol

Imagine splurging money on Pro Team when the game is still in this state & likely about to be patched for the very last time. No thanks 🤣

clearly this game needs some fine-tuning, a proper testing run and update..

i still think they should keep building/updating the game over time. i'm having enough fun now after sliders, that it's a good attempt at a current-gen AFL game. Having close games is satisfying and i don't see who else would do it when EA/2K/Ubisoft probably won't do it.

I don't really understand why they don't try to put this game on-sale sometimes just to garner some new fans etc..unless they are happy with the sales. Why not put it on game-pass and playstation-plus at a discount and get more interest.

i'm still totally confused about what happened last year, it's a complete mind bender, but now the game is better, the pain is fading away nicely, at last.

Last edited:
clearly this game needs some fine-tuning, a proper testing run and update..

i still think they should keep building/updating the game over time. i'm having enough fun now after sliders, that it's a good attempt at a current-gen AFL game. Having close games is satisfying and i don't see who else would do it when EA/2K/Ubisoft probably won't do it.

I don't really understand why they don't try to put this game on-sale sometimes just to garner some new fans etc..unless they are happy with the sales. Why not put it on game-pass and playstation-plus at a discount and get more interest.

i'm still totally confused about what happened last year, it's a complete mind bender, but now the game is better, the pain is fading away nicely, at last.
What sort of slider settings are you running? Are you at the level of Hardest, with a few tweaks? Or like a drastic overhaul of everything?

I'm kinda surprised that this slid by without anyone here bringing it up but not surprised considering it's on the Big Ant board and barely anyone checks that out. I only found it because I was wondering if the ProTeam update was out and how it had gone down.

1715412835722.png
So it's official, No in-match injuries or updates to Management Mode for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, This game has just been a case of trying to run before one can walk. Though it would be more fitting to say a case of trying to run before one can even crawl in this case...

That's the story of AFL 23, A dev team that we knew had big ambitions but clearly didn't have anywhere near enough time to make them actually function. But we've known that for the past 12 months, So what else is new. XD

A tale of 2 games

0IvUeRf.png

Slaughtered Melbourne from start to finish

Second game I wanted to toy with St Kilda and blow them away in the last quarter. But I forgot that the AI as St Kilda trips me up from time to time (harder to score against for some reason). Had to play harder in the second half, surprisingly I was ALMOST able to snatch the win (3.5 minute quarters), in the last quarter the game was lost in the first minute where nothing happened except for 1 St Kilda goal. However I kicked the 5 of my goals inside the last 1:10 of the game. Another 10 seconds and I would have marked inside 50 for a last shot to win!!

I'm kinda surprised that this slid by without anyone here bringing it up but not surprised considering it's on the Big Ant board and barely anyone checks that out. I only found it because I was wondering if the ProTeam update was out and how it had gone down.

View attachment 1986041
So it's official, No in-match injuries or updates to Management Mode for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, This game has just been a case of trying to run before one can walk. Though it would be more fitting to say a case of trying to run before one can even crawl in this case...

That's the story of AFL 23, A dev team that we knew had big ambitions but clearly didn't have anywhere near enough time to make them actually function. But we've known that for the past 12 months, So what else is new. XD

I'd say the focus would be ProTeam and maybe Legends mode!?? maybe..Legends relies on license permission from the players though, so not sure how long that takes etc..they might be better off including it in a future game.

For me it feels like the testing phases of the game weren't up to par and they took a chance releasing it in an almost beta gameplay state, the rest of the game was fine, though lacking some modes.

It's always a chance you take and we don't know why the launch was a debacle, it was never stated, but last year was just bizarre, a lot of it didn't make much sense, but its probably a "you had to be there" kind of deal for big-ant and co where "shite happens" etc. Still you never want to see it happen and i think a lot of us want to see BA succeed.

I also wonder how much onus was on the publisher to help out in this situation in terms of marketing and PR.

Also feels like they didn't really do the game any favours afterwards. Testing/gameplay fixes(not patches necessarily) seemed a slow roll-out afterwards, and they didn't really address the basic gameplay issues for quite some time.

Also don't know why the game hasn't gone on special, you could get more users/buyers etc...you can always put the price back up once you are happy that it's at it's full potential.

If BA were doing this as a side on their own terms, with the license, at a potential loss, i get that it's not the same priority as Cricket24 and having 4 titles to update and they can sort of do things on their terms to make it work. From their perspective they might be resentful that AFL fans didn't show the patience of that concept, that having an AFL game at all on a modern console, is almost a miracle in itself. They would also know that consumers paying 100 dollars, will at least want a certain base level standard of gameplay, and i think the criticism to the bugs, crashes, and lack of gameplay refinement, probably was justified, they would admit that you'd think.

That's all in the past. As of right now, i do like the game after sliders. No real complaints and i hope Big Ant continue making new versions of it. I think they should if they can as they now have a very good base game to upgrade on PS5/Xbox/Steam..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What sort of slider settings are you running? Are you at the level of Hardest, with a few tweaks? Or like a drastic overhaul of everything?
click the post i made a few pages ago, to see some i have tried.

I will share the other pages too, so you get a full picture. I started with easy and now playing medium, but adjusting the sliders i want, basically. So i have illegitimate tackle low(20) and prior opportunity up high(74) ....but this is something each person should try themselves too, depending on what you want out of the game i guess.

View attachment 1986041

I'm curious if they'll even be an AFL 25 with them still patching 23.

Pretty much sums up why it wasnt brought up on here I think. There’s never been any accountability or legitimate reasoning for the myriad of stumbles this game has had over the past year. Besides, Big Ant just ignore everyone on their own forum 🤣 no idea why people bother asking for clarity on anything over there. They have zero interest in restoring their reputation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back