#8 Callan Ward - Inaugural Giant (OOC signing, 2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2...of-the-giants?camefrom=EMCL_2853948_135587356

Ward 'The Heartbeat' of the GIANTS
Adam Curley, AFL Media
Apr 16, 2019 3:30PM

He's a very modest man but he's not silly enough to not realise what a significant figure he is at this footy club.
GIANTS co-captain Phil Davis

The sight of GIANTS co-captain Callan Ward writhing in pain at GMHBA Stadium sent shockwaves through the GIANTS camp on Saturday afternoon, but a couple of moments, captured on camera, in the aftermath were as significant as his injury.

When the midfielder's left knee buckled early in the opening term, anybody who saw it knew he was in trouble.

Ward has hunted the footy as hard as anyone across his 12-season, 217-game career, but the pain of a torn anterior cruciate ligament forced even the GIANTS' toughest player to give up on his contest with Geelong champion Gary Ablett.

The original GIANT, who turned 29 in the days leading into the round four match, was helped from the field to be assessed behind closed doors, and when he eventually hobbled back to the bench on crutches, the tears on his face showed the reality of the situation.

It was there on the GIANTS interchange, in full view of the television cameras, that the footy world saw the first powerful reactions to Ward's injury and the realisation that he would miss a year of footy.

WardConiglioBenchSGcn.jpg

GIANTS vice-captain Stephen Coniglio draped his arm around the sobbing Ward, as the club's welfare manager and former GIANTS and Western Bulldog teammate Dylan Addison did the same from the other side.
Coniglio, who has seen housemate Jon Patton go through multiple knee injuries, told AFL.com.au on Tuesday that all he could do was let his co-captain know that he was there to support him.
"It was just so hard seeing him go down and emotional like that. He's the heartbeat of our club and one of my closest mates," he said.
"Unfortunately, I've seen it happen a few times to guys close to me, so I knew how hard the road ahead was going to be for him.
"I won't go into specifics about what I said, but I basically just told him to be brave and try to put on a brave face for the boys when they come off the ground, and he did that.
"The way he spoke to the boys at three-quarter-time was amazing.
"He won't want it to be about him, he's so selfless like that, so when he gets back to the club I'm sure he'll be an important part of the club again off the field."

Ward's address to the playing group at the last change with the GIANTS down by a solitary point inspired his team to a gripping four-point victory, their first win at the ground.
GIANTS players and coaches were ecstatic when the final siren went, but their joy was tinged with sadness because of the plight of their inspirational leader.

04GeGW19MW1914_Best.JPG

Award-winning AFL.com.au photographer Michael Willson then captured the other memorable image of the day, a strong and lingering hug shared between the GIANTS' two co-captains, Ward and Phil Davis.

It perfectly showed the contrasting emotions being felt by the GIANTS, who were both triumphant winners, and unlucky losers on the day.
"I think that moment represents the fact that I knew he was in a bad place, and it was nice to be able to embrace him and be in that moment together," Davis told AFL.com.au on Tuesday.
"I just saw him standing there and I think we both knew how significant the injury was, and we've been through a fair bit together.
"It was definitely mixed emotions because we'd just won and conquered something that had been a big issue for us (in not winning) down in Geelong, but the other half of me was extremely sad that he'd hurt himself.
"I won't go into too much detail about what we said, it was just more about reflecting on how far we've come, and how important he is to everything we do.
"He's a very modest man but he's not silly enough to not realise what a significant figure he is at this footy club."

An incredible human our captain, have zero doubt he will both work through rehab and play next year but also play a huge part in this season whilst not onfield.

GIANTS stalwart Callan Ward has received Life Membership after sixteen years of service to the AFL.

The GIANTS’ inaugural co-captain has played 279 senior matches for both the GIANTS and Western Bulldogs, as well as two international games and 19 official pre-season games, seeing him qualify for the award.

Ward arrived at the GIANTS as one of the first uncontracted players, winning the club's first best and fairest award in 2012.

Since then, Ward has gone on to become an all-time great for the GIANTS, and is currently the GIANTS’ games record holder.

So calls for Cal to retire or not be given a new contract have died down?
Don’t think there were calls.
More people thinking that he, and Davis, would finish up in the next year or two.

I’m all for both being given contracts forever. The knowledge and love for club they have. We need to make sure both are never lost to the club.

Don’t think there were calls.
More people thinking that he, and Davis, would finish up in the next year or two.

I’m all for both being given contracts forever. The knowledge and love for club they have. We need to make sure both are never lost to the club.
There were some calls but while Davis is done Cal still offers a lot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great story here for GWS fans:

Callan Ward is a club best and fairest winner, a two-time Brett Kirk medallist and a recipient of the players' player Robert Rose medal. He is also just five games short of reaching the 300-game milestone. But entering his 17th AFL season, his 13th with the GIANTS, he remains unfulfilled. The one accolade missing from his impressive resume is premiership winner.

Going on 34 in April, the midfielder doesn't need reminding he is the oldest on the club's list with retirement fast approaching. The inaugural GIANTS admits this year could be his last shot at a premiership and acknowledges, without fear or shame, he is frustrated.
"When you get to the end of your career and you haven't played in a premiership - haven't even played in the grand final - you reflect on what you've done for your whole career," Ward told AAP. "It's something that I think about a lot. At the moment it feels unfulfilled. It feels almost like I haven't achieved what I want to achieve."

"The fire in the belly is at an all-time high," Ward said. "The ultimate is to play in the premiership and I haven't done that. Being a leader of this football club for a long time, it's something I really want to do and I feel like my career won't be complete until I achieve that."

Fingers crossed that AK and the boys (and Lady Luck) can deliver in season 2024!

Congratulations on your impending 300th game, Callan Ward.

Callan Ward Through The Years​

One of the most influential figures in GIANTS history, Callan Ward, celebrates his 300th AFL match this weekend. We take a trip down memory lane ahead of his 300th AFL game this weekend.

see story above for embedded picture gallery

More accolades for Callan, despite him wanting a low-key milestone!

THERE is plenty of fanfare for Callan Ward at the moment and justifiably so as the Greater Western Sydney warrior becomes just the 103rd player in VFL/AFL history to notch up 300 games. But while the Giants’ inaugural captain is full of pride at his remarkable achievement, he is not one for pomp and ceremony. His lone football desire is simply to win the premiership he so desperately craves this season, and then sail off into the AFL sunset.

"Yeh, I think so. I want to play in a premiership, that's all I want to do," said Ward, who admits he'll retire if the Giants achieve the feat. "The more you go on and the older you get you realise time's starting to run out, and the one reason we all play football is to play in a premiership. Especially once you get to 300 games. It's something I really want to achieve and there's no doubt that every player at this football club really wants to do that as well."

The 34-year-old may not be overly fond of the limelight - he stressed to the Giants media team that he wanted a low-key press conference for his major milestone game - but there will be no escaping the adulation for a player who has had as much of an impact on the tangible culture of strength at the Giants as any other.

That was evident as his teammates gathered around in impromptu fashion as Ward addressed the media, wearing special 300 game boots with his children's names on them, and then gave him a round of applause. This was, after all, the player who helped set it all in motion at GWS, the major acquisition along with Phil Davis for season one at the club after 60 games with the Western Bulldogs. "I was a lot different back then that's for sure," said Ward as he reflected on his journey with the Giants after signing on as a 21-year-old. "A lot more shy, a lot quieter, a lot less confident. A guy who questioned himself and was a lot more naïve.”

"Pride, happiness, it's been a big journey," he said. "I'm just really excited to play. The last 17 years there's been plenty of ups and downs. It's been a journey I've really enjoyed and I just can't wait to get out there and play against Essendon," added Ward. "I thought it would be similar to the 150, 200, 250 milestone, but this one does feel a bit bigger. I've got plenty of messages from people from other football clubs and it's been really exciting so far this week."

Callan Ward 300: How ‘cement head’ became one of the most important figures in GWS Giants history

By LACHLAN MCKIRDY

NSW AFL REPORTER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

11 MAY 2024

Callan Ward is rarely one to pump his own tyres. The Giants’ midfield general, or Cement Head as he became known by many, thrives on going about his business while other teammates excel around him. But even Ward knows it’s important to make an exception. At training this week, he had a specially marked pair of Asics boots with ‘300’ marked on both heels and the names of his wife, Ruby, and two kids, Ralfie and Romeo on the instep. It’s the first sign that this weekend is different for Ward.

When he runs out against Essendon on Saturday afternoon, the club he and his family supported as a kid, the 34-year-old will become just the 103rd person to reach 300 VFL/AFL games. It’s a milestone well beyond Ward’s wildest expectations.
“Over the last 17 years there’s been plenty of ups and downs and it’s a journey I’ve really enjoyed,” Ward said. “I’ve got the kids’ names and wife, Ruby, and I’m proud to be wearing these this weekend. I thought this game would be a lot more similar to the 150, 200, 250 milestones, but this one does feel a bit bigger now. I’ll be forever indebted to this footy club for getting me up here. To be here for almost half my life, they’ve probably seen me grow from a boy into a man. I can only thank the Giants for that.”

The midfielder came to Sydney looking for a challenge and has matured into one of the game’s greatest competitors.

WHY WARD WAS NUMBER ONE FOR THE GIANTS

Ward quickly established himself in the AFL as a player who loved responsibility. After being drafted by the Western Bulldogs with the 19th pick of the 2007 draft, he juggled his first year of footy with completing year 12 at Williamstown High School. Twelve months later, he had established himself as part of the Dogs’ best 22 and played in back-to-back preliminary finals.

By the end of the 2011 campaign, the Giants were putting together the list for their first season in the AFL. While Ward was prepared to stay at the Dogs, a low-ball offer and the idea of an enticing project saw him move interstate. “He was a critical piece in terms of what the club was trying to do,” inaugural Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni said. “We knew he had some talent, he was a really great kick, and we knew that he was a fierce competitor. It was always going to be difficult trying to get a youngster out of a football club, but we just knew (we had to). The four young boys we ended up getting in Ward, Phil Davis, Tom Scully and also Rhys Palmer, they all had a really good work ethic in terms of wanting to get better. Even though Callan was only young at the time, we knew that he would show the boys the right way and that was critical as well.”

THE EARLY YEARS OF LEADERSHIP

Ward was named as one of the club’s inaugural co-captains alongside Davis and Power as the expansion club quickly went from dream to reality. There was already so much pressure on the pair of 21-year-olds to be the face of the Giants into the future that on-field leadership roles weren’t something they initially wanted. “At the start, we were both reluctant,” Davis said. “With Cal being even more reluctant, both being 21 and finding our feet. We were lucky to be guided by Luke Power. We just knew that we had to take care of our own business. I was so fortunate to do it with Cal, his want to help people is enormous. I honestly can’t remember one disagreement that we had. We were so aligned and that’s what I think made it work so well.”

Ward hit the ground running in his first season in the orange and charcoal. He kicked the club’s first-ever goal against the Swans – “There was a trivia question on (the first goal) and I was the answer, so I was proud of that,” – and won the Giants’ best and fairest award in 2012. But for Davis, Ward’s willingness to stand up in the toughest moments will always shine through. The Giants famously struggled in their second season in 2013, finishing with only one win. Yet, in that single victory, it was Ward who dragged them across the line.

“That second year for me, and probably Cal, was definitely the hardest at the time,” Davis said. “We both signed five-year deals and were a bit young to say anything else, so we just kept charging ahead. “When we won against Melbourne, Cal got the three votes that day and basically won us that game. Across my career, he just always delivered. If he had a set shot, I knew he was gonna kick it. If it was a big tackle to be made, I knew he was going to make it. I just always knew and you don’t acknowledge how special that skill is enough. That was a particularly difficult period. Another year like that would have been a tough challenge, but I think when you can anchor towards a person like Cal, it makes it all seem far more achievable.”

HOW WARD FOUND THE FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

As Ward continued to go from strength to strength at the Giants, the club mirrored his own progression. They went from easy beats to finals contenders in 2016. By 2019, they had made a grand final and quickly asserted themselves as one of the most exciting teams in the competition. Throughout the period, Ward was at the heart of their success. He was named in the All-Australian squad on three occasions and captained the Giants for 157 games.

But in 2022, as GWS started to slide back down the table, Ward was left questioning his own football mortality. Even though he was only 50 games away from bringing up his landmark 300th, the milestone had never felt further away. “I really wasn’t enjoying my football once I got to 250 (games),” Ward said. “I wasn’t playing good football and we were losing games. It was a slog at the time and I just didn’t think I could play another 50, to be honest.”

Ward wasn’t alone with the club going through its toughest period since 2013. Leon Cameron departed as coach, Mark McVeigh was instilled as interim and the club finished with just six wins for the year. However, their incredible revival under Adam Kingsley last season coincided with a rejuvenated Ward. Despite being in the twilight of his career, he felt back to his younger self.

“I thought he still had plenty to give,” Kingsley said. “It was probably just the sugar hit of having new people through the door, not just myself, but a bunch of new staff coming in. Since we walked through the door, he’s been enormous in being able to sell the message that we want to sell, train the way that we want to train and play the way we want to play. He played a pivotal role in us recapturing some of the form of the past and he continues to do that.”

While he’s no longer a captain of the club, his determination and passion still set the standards for those around him. After an AC joint injury against Collingwood in the opening round, he was expected to be out for up to eight weeks. He was back on the field within a month and playing his first VFL game for the club, three weeks ahead of schedule. He also plays an intangible role as the figurehead of the group. Whether it’s intense table tennis battles at Giants’ HQ or external pilates sessions where he ends up on the floor in fits of laughter, he has an extraordinary ability to find a connection with anyone.

“He’s got something in common with every single person,” Lachie Ash said. “He goes out of his way to make sure everyone’s going okay, he’s a father figure for the group. We do pilates together on a Tuesday … halfway through we’re rolling around on the floor. Coming in as a young kid I had Wardy alongside me, after watching him on TV for so long. Everyone in the club loves him and idolises him. He’s just unbelievable.”

“To be here now is really exciting,” Ward added. “The club has really turned around in the past couple of years and guys enjoy being here.”

THE PREMIERSHIP ELIXIR

There’s only one thing missing from Ward’s long list of accomplishments: an elusive premiership. He’s played in five losing preliminary finals, the most heartbreaking of which was when he was subbed out with concussion in the Giants’ loss to the Bulldogs in 2016. He also missed the majority of the 2019 season through an ACL injury when they made the grand final.

It means Ward has unfinished business. The Giants are well placed to finally fulfil his destiny in 2024, and if they do, Ward knows that it would be his last action on the footy field. “The more you go on and the older you get, the more you realise that time is starting to run out,” Ward said. “I want to play in a premiership, it’s all I want to do. The reason why we all play football is to play in a premiership. Especially once you get to 300 games, you really want to play in a premiership and I haven’t done that. There’s a good feel at the moment in this footy club. The way we play, the system and the game plan, it’s enjoyable at the moment. We’re all in it for that one goal, and hopefully, we can do that.”

But to boil down Ward’s career as a summary of his accolades is an oversimplification of one of the most important players in the AFL this century. The Giants have had many influential figures walk through their doors, yet, it’s not hyperbole to say the club wouldn’t be where they are today without Callan Ward at the helm.

“There was a time early on that a lot of people saw the Giants as a breeding ground, let them get all the top players and then get them home,” Silvagni said. “But being able to maintain those early picks? Callan has been part of that to have a culture up there that players want to stay. Even though they haven’t achieved the ultimate, they’re a really good chance this year. I’d love to see that club, but also him, get something they deserve.”

“If you look back on the history, there’s lots of different stakeholders in a football club,” Davis added. “But in my mind, there’s not one person I think has had a bigger impact than Cal. Things happened because of Cal. From Tony Shepherd to Kevin Sheedy to Dave Matthews, no one has had the impact on the club that Cal has had.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back