AFL Player # 5: Elijah Tsatas

Remove this Banner Ad

Really makes me wonder why we drafted him, even though he’s clearly talented

At the time Durham hadn't played in the midfield at all, Perkins hadn't really shown any midfield nous, Shiel had 2 injury interrupted seasons and was getting close to 30, Stringer had broken down, and we were getting pushed around in the midfield.

2022 was also a midfield heavy draft in general, basically the next 5 selections were all midfielders of some sort or other.

Tsatas was the highest rated midfielder at our selection, had (still has) a turn of speed most of our others don't, and is still 2 - 3 years from being physically complete.

At that point Stringer and Shiel are either gone or nowhere near the midfield, Merrett will be 32, Parish and Setterfield will be 29 so we're looking at Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas and Perkins being our prime movers in the middle of the ground taking us forward.

At the time Durham hadn't played in the midfield at all, Perkins hadn't really shown any midfield nous, Shiel had 2 injury interrupted seasons and was getting close to 30, Stringer had broken down, and we were getting pushed around in the midfield.

2022 was also a midfield heavy draft in general, basically the next 5 selections were all midfielders of some sort or other.

Tsatas was the highest rated midfielder at our selection, had (still has) a turn of speed most of our others don't, and is still 2 - 3 years from being physically complete.

At that point Stringer and Shiel are either gone or nowhere near the midfield, Merrett will be 32, Parish and Setterfield will be 29 so we're looking at Durham, Caldwell, Hobbs, Tsatas and Perkins being our prime movers in the middle of the ground taking us forward.

It would have made more sense to take Melbournes trade offer of 3 late first rounders, than to use pick 4(5) on a mid with kicking flaws.

Last edited:
It would have made more sense to take Melbournes trade offer of 3 late first rounders, than to use pick 4(5) on a mid with kicking flaws.
Dumb post. Taking a top 5 prospect widely known as a top 5 draft was absolutely the right thing to do.

We don't need more good average players. Our entire team (including our depth) is comprised of good average players. What we're desperately lacking is elite.

Tsatas has that potential. Even if it doesn't come off it was still the right decision.

We don't need more good average players. Our entire team (including our depth) is comprised of good average players. What we're desperately lacking is elite.

Tsatas has that potential. Even if it doesn't come off it was still the right decision.
I’m strongly in this boat too. He’s not vanilla. Personally I believe in him. I reckon he wants to be the best and will improve his weak spots.

Will take 2 years and another 6kgs but in the end he will be a monster who is a nightmare opposition match up. He will blend well with Hobbs, Caldwell, Durham, Merrett. Totally complementary.

Reckon he will get the kicking under control too. I think it will come more easily once his body gets set. He does need to get coached around not rushing.. and needs to practice and practice executing his routine under game pressure. When he has a man’s body he will find some microseconds to steady.

Unlike say Dylan Clarke, Tsatas already shows some instances each game where he kicks fairly well. Even in his first game of AFL he nailed a few difficult inside 50 kicks. His vision and decision making are generally good. He’s just a very inconsistent kick and the bad ones are truly terrible. To me that is far more easily fixable than someone who simply can’t kick the footy.

Yeah ok, but I don't see how any kid with those kicking flaws could be measured top 5 in the first place. I understand he had other top 5 attributes, but kicking is integral.
He's no worse than Dangerfield, Fyfe, Judd.

He's no worse than Dangerfield, Fyfe, Judd.

He may well be because the 3 you've mentioned all tend(ed) to use the ball badly under pressure or red lining it out of a stoppage. Fyfe's goal kicking is uniquely horrible and, I'd say much worse than his field kicking. My impression of Danger's goal kicking is that it's generally pretty good but he can shank and miss badly. But Tastas' current issue is big missies of what are uncontested possessions.

I don't know kicking technique well enough to explain what their flaws are/were. The issue with Tsatas is much more obvious and much more mechanical to my eye. Like McGrath his natural ball strike looks like it comes off his instep. I don't know exactly what I see but it explains the trajectory and lack of penetration. These issues did/do not plague at least Danger and Fyfe, I don't not really remember whether Judd was a long kick of the ball.

But maybe even more importantly, you set the bar at the most elite physical specimens the game has. Their qualities can absorb poor kicking. Dangerfield and Judd were always what they were, outrageously explosive. Fyfe took a KPP's frame and added KPP bulk but retained his agility and leap. He's not as obviously impressively an athlete as the other 2 but he was a freak in his own right (for that middle 150 games of his career). He was a Hird-like athlete with the size and power to be a wrecking ball. We've probably never seen that before, certainly not in the 30-ish years I can remember.

We can basically already rule out Tstas having Dangerfield / Judd level explosiveness and speed. You've got that or you don't. Tsatas is by no means slow, he strikes me as being a pretty dynamic athlete, but he's not that level. As for his frame being able to carry weight for him to bulk, it's hard to say. He's clearly going to be able to carry more weight but we're not talking 90kg here. I'd be (pleasantly) stunned if he could get to 90kgs and retain his speed.

The question you should ask is whether you rate a version of Rozee or maybe Shuey who kicks the ball at the level of the 3 you've mentioned. I do believe the inability to properly compare players is very like a big part of the reason he was considered worthy of a top 5 pick.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may well be because the 3 you've mentioned all tend(ed) to use the ball badly under pressure or red lining it out of a stoppage. Fyfe's goal kicking is uniquely horrible and, I'd say much worse than his field kicking. My impression of Danger's goal kicking is that it's generally pretty good but he can shank and miss badly.

I don't know kicking technique well enough to explain what their flaws are/were. The issue with Tsatas is much more obvious and much more mechanical to my eye. Like McGrath his natural ball strike looks like it comes off his instep. I don't know exactly what I see but it explains the trajectory and lack of penetration. This issue did/does not plague at least Danger and Fyfe, I don't not really remember whether Judd was a long kick of the ball.

But maybe even more importantly, you set the bar at the most elite physical specimens the game has. Their qualities can absorb poor kicking. Dangerfield and Judd were always what they were, outrageously explosive. Fyfe took a KPP's frame and added KPP bulk but retained his agility and leap. He's not as obviously impressively an athlete as the other 2 but he was a freak in his own right in the middle 150 games of his career. He was a Hird-like athlete with the size and power to be a wrecking ball. We've probably never seen that before, certainly not in the 30-ish years I can remember.

We can basically already rule out Tstas having Dangerfield / Judd level explosiveness and speed. You've got that or you don't. Tsatas is by no means slow, he strikes me as being a pretty dynamic athlete, but he's not that level. As for his frame being able to carry weight for him to bulk, it's hard to say. He's clearly going to be able to carry more weight but we're not talking 90kg here. I'd be (pleasantly) stunned if he could get to 90kgs and retain his speed.

The question you should ask is whether you rate a version of Rozee or maybe Shuey who kicks the ball at the level of the 3 you've mentioned. I do believe the inability to properly compare players is very like a big part of the reason he was considered worthy of a top 5 pick.
kicking off the instep generally allows you less control and power in your kicking, which is why you'll see mcgrath kick some pretty pitiful kicks on occasion.

dangerfield is an interesting case because he's a bad kick, but the penetration that he gets off of said bad kicks makes up for it (or masks it perhaps). if you kick it over everyone and it goes to your team, is it bad?

I get what your saying, but if it doesn't come off (due to his kicking), then the experts were wrong ranking a mid with kicking flaws top 5.

He may well be because the 3 you've mentioned all tend(ed) to use the ball badly under pressure or red lining it out of a stoppage. Fyfe's goal kicking is uniquely horrible and, I'd say much worse than his field kicking. My impression of Danger's goal kicking is that it's generally pretty good but he can shank and miss badly. But Tastas' current issue is big missies of what are uncontested possessions.

I don't know kicking technique well enough to explain what their flaws are/were. The issue with Tsatas is much more obvious and much more mechanical to my eye. Like McGrath his natural ball strike looks like it comes off his instep. I don't know exactly what I see but it explains the trajectory and lack of penetration. These issues did/does not plague at least Danger and Fyfe, I don't not really remember whether Judd was a long kick of the ball.

But maybe even more importantly, you set the bar at the most elite physical specimens the game has. Their qualities can absorb poor kicking. Dangerfield and Judd were always what they were, outrageously explosive. Fyfe took a KPP's frame and added KPP bulk but retained his agility and leap. He's not as obviously impressively an athlete as the other 2 but he was a freak in his own right (for that middle 150 games of his career). He was a Hird-like athlete with the size and power to be a wrecking ball. We've probably never seen that before, certainly not in the 30-ish years I can remember.

I still don't see what the difference between him and early Oliver is other than toughness (whereas Tsatas is much quicker and more evasive).

kicking off the instep generally allows you less control and power in your kicking, which is why you'll see mcgrath kick some pretty pitiful kicks on occasion.

dangerfield is an interesting case because he's a bad kick, but the penetration that he gets off of said bad kicks makes up for it (or masks it perhaps). if you kick it over everyone and it goes to your team, is it bad?

Yep. Danger is valuable because he used to burst from a stoppage 10 metres then boot it 50 metres over the spare defender sitting 40metres off the stoppage.

I still don't see what the difference between him and early Oliver is other than toughness (whereas Tsatas is much quicker and more evasive).

Oliver had an inside game as a first touch distributor that was AFL standard from day 1. His bread and better is a Jobe/JKF level ability to absorb physical contact, though he is a more dynamic athlete. He's actually got a significant initial burst of power and acceleration.

Tastas has never been that in his life (the distributor). He has good hands in close, so perhaps he has some of the skills of that style of player, but if he was to become a player who handballs for something like 50% of his possessions, busting through stoppages (as opposed to away from them), he is nothing like the player we drafted. Granted that it doesn't make a difference whether a gun player is a gun because he's the style of player you expected when you drafted him. But it is a dramatic difference when it comes to realistic expectations of the player.

I don't know kicking technique well enough to explain what their flaws are/were. The issue with Tsatas is much more obvious and much more mechanical to my eye. Like McGrath his natural ball strike looks like it comes off his instep. I don't know exactly what I see but it explains the trajectory and lack of penetration. These issues did/do not plague at least Danger and Fyfe, I don't not really remember whether Judd was a long kick of the ball.

He's not at Dangerfield / Judd level of physical insanity.

But he's more dynamic than any other midfielder on the list, maybe apart from Durham.

In terms of weight. Tastes has the lower body of a beast. He will be massive I reckon and still move well with it.

I reckon that nets out as someone a bit stronger and bigger than Rozee, maybe a bit more agile, a bit more capable inside, and as you say, weaker by foot.

If it's a straight swap I'm taking Rozee all day, but then he's a Rolls Royce.

Tsatas will look a lot better if he gets bigger and suddenly decides to (or is pushed to) become a hard tackling beast. I think that's the thing that would really make him as a player, and it's a change that is more uncertain than his foot skills.. which will inevitably improve.

Hope he stays in the VFL for the foreseeable or till we need him in the 1s through injuries, then we don't have to listen to the constant melt from fans.. I've said before judge him after 60 games (AFL/VFL), look at Perkins only now starting to show his true worth

It gives Danger a way of being extremely and uniquely effective, it's not an objectively good thing to miss that many targets.

If Danger could kick the ball consistently well he'd be regarded at least on par with Ablett Snr and Matthews, if not better. Nature has this way of not letting anyone be perfect.

As a general rule, these superstar players do not belong in any part of discussion about players who are not also superstars or on the cusp of becoming that.

Lots of opinions flying around.
Mine is f he does not develop the physical power game that will allow him to push through traffic with power then the kicking will be an issue. You can not compare him to Danger as Danger was doing what he does at under 18 level .
I think he looks like he has the build to play at 86/88kg but he has to get there. He can play. He can find the footy. However he does have a minor flaw in his kicking action when he kicks under pressure or when he looks for distance on the run. There is a little flaw in the time between his ball and his leg swing. To put it in golf terms it is like a golf swing that stops for a fraction at the top of the swing before launching hard on the down swing. His short kicks are fine. His kicks under limited pressure are fine.
My opinion is they will struggle to fix the issue so he will need to develop into a power athlete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back