#41 - Mitch McGovern

Remove this Banner Ad

Also another thought, maybe it helps us that he's a couple years older to help fill the 2012/2013 draft bracket that was a little empty thanks to the sanctions.

Love the composure on both feet. And the big fly is always good to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll have to back in the WA recruiters too.
Will always back our recruiters but I have to admit that this comment from Ogilvie "our WA recruiters really liked him, so we’ll back them in" sounds a lot like "I don't see what they see but we have to listen to them to some extent". I loved our first 2 picks but passing up on Daniel and Gore at this pick really worries me when you think of what a risk we took to get this pick upgraded. Just really wanted to see some midfield pace here, nothing against this kid but feel we might regret this one.

A player that kicks instinctively off both feet he looks a very promising prospect. If our ball movement is quicker next year his will be a great foil with Tex.

And got taken about 100 picks later in his draft year.

Sure he had...

J Gov was taken in his draft year though, not two years later like M Gov.

I'm really surprised how much Mitch rose leading up to the draft. I thought we might snag him in the rookie draft in the hope he comes on like Jeremy. I feel like his rise was somewhat powered by his brother's performances rather than his own.

At this stage he has the attributes, but needs to attract more ball and work on his tank. Hopefully for your sake his game will improve when you settle him in one position, as I watched him a bit at Claremont and he seemed to be playing a bit of a mr fix it role. Lovely leap and mark just like his brother though. They're both good old fashioned no frills footballers.

Here are his wafl stats for those interested:

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/4637

DOB: 11th October 1994
Height: 191.
Weight: 84

Skippos Phantom:

55. Mitch McGovern (WAFL, Athletic 3rd tall forward)
191 cm, 82 kg, 11/10/94
Range: 30-rookie
Style: Jeremy McGovern

Overlooked in his draft year and injured in the next, McGovern has impressed when finally able to get on the park. He has a similar game to his brother, Jeremy - with his leaping and read of the ball a particular highlight. He has an exceptional leap which allows him to play above his height and also chop out in the ruck to an okay level. Defensively he works hard, applying pressure and tackling well. By foot McGovern is solid with his distribution and creativity reasonable. He's best suited playing as that roaming third tall running up the ground.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24594744/another-mcgovern-poised-to-join-afl-ranks/

This isn't bad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back