AFL Player #31: Zach Reid - Good numbers in the VFL - 11/5

Remove this Banner Ad

I used to work down there at the dock yards for BAE Systems. That ground might look great but the wind that whistles across it from the bay never stops. Williamstown have the biggest home ground advantage in footy, playing there is a completely different game.
I used to play, many years ago, v Willy CYMS on one of the adjacent ovals. It can be near impossible…..can recall balls just stopping dead and doing other ridiculous things.

I used to work down there at the dock yards for BAE Systems. That ground might look great but the wind that whistles across it from the bay never stops. Williamstown have the biggest home ground advantage in footy, playing there is a completely different game.
certainly unsurprising. kind of reminds me of playing cricket down in geelong, impossible wind to play into

Lol, my wife and I used to walk past that place when we lived in Melbourne. We used to drive down to Williamstown and go for a walk along the waterfront as it reminded us of doing our walk in Hobart. I used to notice that BAE Systems sign all the time. Always wondered what it was.

I worked there too. Wind could be brutal.

Still work at BAE but in the City office.

Lol, my wife and I used to walk past that place when we lived in Melbourne. We used to drive down to Williamstown and go for a walk along the waterfront as it reminded us of doing our walk in Hobart. I used to notice that BAE Systems sign all the time. Always wondered what it was.
Multinational defense contractor. The dockyard there builds ships for the navy. It was Tenix when I first started there and we were making the Anzac frigates. Tenix was bought out by BAE Systems later on, and when I left about 8-9 years ago we were just finishing off building the second of two LHD's which are massive aircraft carriers for helicopters.

Willy don't have a big forward of note so I don't think he was playing on anyone super dangerous but he looked pretty comfortable reading it in the air and marking it, which is a good sign, as others have mentioned the wind at Willy can be a bit stupid at times, balls coming in can be real fingerbreakers.

My thoughts:

Hayes and Reid can be addressed together as they used each other to pad their numbers. They seemed to kick the ball to each other quite a bit from the kick out into a pocket. They also took all of the kick outs between them. Neither was poor but neither could be said to have commanded their position as a key defender. When defenders are as big as they are compared to the competition it is not exactly an achievement to disrupt/spoil the ball in the air against VFL opponents. I don't think I recall many if any classic 1v1s either was involved in. They'd need to be pulling down 3 or 4 contested marks, at least, for those performances to really rate. Having said that, Reid looked fit. He was throwing himself around which was encouraging. He does not look off the pace at all. Hayes seemed to get up the ground a lot more. I’d give both a 5.5-6/10.

Last edited:
21 possessions, 10 marks, 15 kicks and 4 tackles v North.

Lots of uncontested intercept marks and I really liked his ball use but I don't think he put forward a case for senior selection, certainly not in the way Bryan did. So be cautious with the numbers.

He can impact a contest by virtue of height alone, at the lower level, to a degree that it not reflected at AFL level where opponents can neutralise at lease some of the height advantage with body work and physical strength.

He was in position to pull down 5 or 6 contested intercepts today. He'll be ready for AFL when he ends up with 4, as it will be reflective of better timing and positioning. I don't expect it from him yet, it's something that will come with conditioning over the next 2 or 3 games, but he should be dominating VFL level, like Kramer doing karate against kids.

21 possessions, 10 marks, 15 kicks and 4 tackles v North.

Lots of uncontested intercept marks and I really liked his ball use but I don't think he put forward a case for senior selection, certainly not in the way Bryan did. So be cautious with the numbers.

He can impact a contest by virtue of height alone, at the lower level, to a degree that it not reflected at AFL level where opponents can neutralise at lease some of the height advantage with body work and physical strength.

He was in position to pull down 5 or 6 contested intercepts today. He'll be ready for AFL when he ends up with 4, as it will be reflective of better timing and positioning. I don't expect it from him yet, it's something that will come with conditioning over the next 2 or 3 games, but he should be dominating VFL level, like Kramer doing karate against kids.
Brilliant

Remove this Banner Ad

Back