AFL Player # 3: Darcy Parish - Late out with calf tightness - 19/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

If you're small, not quick and are not elite by foot, unless you're an outlier freak like Neale, you're s**t. Your impact will never equate to anything particularly meaningful.

Think you are way off here.

There were plenty of times that Darc won the hard ball and got it into our possession.

There are levels between Superstar and s**t..........

One of our best players?

Is that the same guy we promoted sideways to get him out of the midfield department at the same time that we became a better team?
so his move made us a better team? that’s a good thing right?

did you just forget this is a team sport?

One of our best players?

Is that the same guy we promoted sideways to get him out of the midfield department at the same time that we became a better team?
Parish reads the play at an elite level, and maximises that attribute with fitness and work ethic. Players like him are the glue to players like Durham who are the structure. You want both.
It’s common knowledge we’ve been missing structure in the midfield but it doesn’t follow that you throw baby face out with the bath water

There would be a number of players in the league that I would straight swap Parish for, but it wouldn’t be more than 100 players, and I doubt it would be more than 40 midfielders.

The reality is Parish has his physical limitations, but he also has some weapons including the ability to get the ball (which is second only to getting the ball and using the ball well). He has also been developed very badly and allowed to focus too heavily on his strengths without balancing out his limitations. I think that he is/they are working on weaknesses based on preseason commentary, and I’m hoping to see a better version of him - on Saturday he certainly looked like he was playing more for the group than himself. Time will tell.

Must admit.. I've been a big Parish fan and never really understood the hate. Clearly the injury impacted him to start the year and he is building into it.

FWIW.. try meandering over to footywire and putting Parish and Caldwell up together. Parish leading in almost every statistic category. DE and Clangers are not favouring Parish.. but right now this entire board seems to think Caldwell is the 2nd coming and we are ready to throw Parish off the train.. it makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I realise that you do the same comparison with Durham and Parish still comes out on top.. oh wait maybe there is something to that.

Stats aren't everything and nor should they be.. but anyone who can't see how good Parish has been and is.. I think you have blinkers on. Fully expect that by the time of the end of the season comes.. Parish will again be our #2 midfielder behind Merrett.

How about we just be thankful that we now have a midfield that has a mix of styles, speed, sizes and that actually makes it dangerous. Now to find a ruck...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it because he keeps getting played in the same midfield as Merrett? He's like the outside midfielder's outside midfielder.

Must admit.. I've been a big Parish fan and never really understood the hate. Clearly the injury impacted him to start the year and he is building into it.

FWIW.. try meandering over to footywire and putting Parish and Caldwell up together. Parish leading in almost every statistic category. DE and Clangers are not favouring Parish.. but right now this entire board seems to think Caldwell is the 2nd coming and we are ready to throw Parish off the train.. it makes absolutely zero sense to me.

I realise that you do the same comparison with Durham and Parish still comes out on top.. oh wait maybe there is something to that.

Stats aren't everything and nor should they be.. but anyone who can't see how good Parish has been and is.. I think you have blinkers on. Fully expect that by the time of the end of the season comes.. Parish will again be our #2 midfielder behind Merrett.

How about we just be thankful that we now have a midfield that has a mix of styles, speed, sizes and that actually makes it dangerous. Now to find a ruck...
The trouble is who's our whipping boy now?

I'm not his biggest fan.

It was a servicable game from him on Sunday, versus a bottom 4 team.

No complaints from me this week.
Oh come on. It's no fun sparring if you just raise your hands.

Oh come on. It's no fun sparring if you just raise your hands.
I DID say it was against a bottom 4 team.

I'm not smart enough to leave you without an in somewhere...

Now it's your turn to come back and tell me that "it would have been at least a 120 Supercoach score game against a Geelong or Swans". It practically writes itself!

Wasn't a big fan in recent seasons but conceded he was tackling much better last year but wasn't happy with defensive positioning as well as the turnovers when running forward with low pressure which ended up being murderous and game changing, or at the least undid the good work he did. The defensive positioning has improved this year (first really noticed this in the Adelaide match where he had their midfielders at times rushing their kicks) and I think his kicking looks better after working with Rath but would need to see more to be definitive on that. Training watchers reckoned his kicking did look much improved pre season.

He doesn't need to be everything (98% aren't) but as long as he complements others and keeps going like the last couple of weeks and in big games (doesn't even need to get near the crazy stats he got on the weekend) I will be very happy - he becomes the player he would have been if drafted by a far more professional outfit than we have been. His clean and quick hands really setup some forward thrusts with the time that extra second buys and I think that aspect gets underestimated in terms of its value.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back