Player Watch #29 Matilda Scholz

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Height runs in the Scholz family. Matilda is 189cm and sister Poppy is 180cm.

Matilda and Poppy Scholz are the daughters of former Australian Diamonds netballer Peta Squire (now Peta Scholz). Peta is 180cm, played 54 times for Oz, played for Garville and the Adelaide Thunderbirds and won a world championship and Comm Games gold with the Diamonds, played in 6 successive GFs with the Thunderbirds for 2 premierships in the national comp.

Poppy played for SA in the U/18 championships for SA and was named in the All Oz team. She is eligible for the draft next year - just, as her dob is 31-12-2006.

There is a Code Sports article - paywalled - that says she doesn't know if she wants to play professional footy of professional netball. This year as a 16 year old she won the SA Premier Netball League's Rookie of the Year award playing mainly in defence. She was also selected in the South Australian U/17 at the national champs and was named captain. So she might end up being a few cms taller by the time she turns 20.

MATILDA SCHOLZ will be a Port Adelaide player for the next four seasons after the exciting ruck agreed to a contract extension until at least the end of 2027.

Scholz enjoyed a breakout debut season in 2023, winning a Rising Star nomination and finishing third in the club’s best and fairest.

She was also named Port Adelaide’s best first year player and was included in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22under22 squad.

“I’ve loved every minute of my time at Port Adelaide and I’m so grateful to get the opportunity to continue to play at the club,” the 18-year-old said of her new contract.

How Port ruck tore up the AFLW - before being draft-eligible​

She tore up the AFLW last year, but Matilda Scholz wasn't even supposed to be playing in the competition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back