Delisted 23. Aaron Black (2017 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Technical skills and confidence with ball in hand, with the inevitable overlap, have been areas the team has seen a steady decline in over the past five years. That weakness, set against strengths of height, improved contested/stoppage output lead to the low risk ball movement and press - mostly a down the line, territorial assault. That's all well and good to have as a strategy, but we lacked the ability to change things up or take the game on when an opportunity presented itself. Maybe the Adelaide, WB and NM games being an exception to that rule from memory.

What surprised me was we did finish right up the top end for marks inside 50. Whether our failure to top the scoring ranks was poor set shot conversion, marking in trickier positions, passing when better advised to kick for goal, or a low output from play on situations - I'm not sure. I guess a combination of the above.

There were absolutely some glaring examples of matches where our ball movement into the 50 was awful. But easily as many matches, if not more, where we had far more opportunities but just failed to execute the last plays.

Really good write up of our strategy, fits it to a tee.

Intetesting stat, I hadnt given it much thought. Id love to know our entry/mark ratio. We were notorious for 50 entries with no score i feel.

I saw a couple of their non Geelong games during the year, and was almost fearful (of their safety) of their maniacal attack on the ball and contest. They have carried that right through finals to perfection, but it would be very difficult to sustain that all of next season, and thereafter- surely??
Over my years of watching footy, what the Doggies did this year was truly remarkable, but you have to question the longevity of that sort of play.

Re - the Dogs attack on the ball and contest - which was very impressive - but i agree can they sustain it - doubtful- and this is where you have to give certain Cats players ( the ones with 3 prem medals ) some slack

Take Picken - good player - but talk about the junk yard dog ( with his ferocity ) when hes 30 or 31 and say hes got 3 Prem medallions to his name - he will get a bit cunning ( they all do ) he will pick and chose - and personal safety will come into his thought process

A lot more accurate I'd say. :)

Only one I'm unsure of is Black, wouldn't know him if I fell over him.
060314_pirates_1.jpg

Last edited:
Over my years of watching footy, what the Doggies did this year was truly remarkable, but you have to question the longevity of that sort of play.

You'd have to ask whether it took its toll this year. Look at the injuries sustained and the way they limped into the finals. Of course we all know the break came at the ideal time for them to get players back fit and refresh before a charge at the flag.

Without that pre-finals bye, there would have been no fairy tale finish.

Think he may have found his position.
It's not a vital role, it's more of a relief sweeper type of thing but his strengths suit the role (he's quick off the mark, has good endurance, he's usually a 1 grab player and is equally comfortable chasing a loose ball as he is competing in the air), now I'm not saying he's a star but atleast he's found a role within the AFL team that suits him AND the team.

If he continues this i think they may offer him another 2 year contract... Thoughts?

Agreed. Unfortunately I have a feeling the coaches will drop him for Taylor / Henderson once they’re back but he’s still good depth to have for the rest of this season and beyond.

Have a feeling our defence will line up like this next season (if everyone is fit):
FB: Bews - Blicavs - Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Stewart
7th defender: Henry

If we lose Blicavs or Henderson to injury then I’d expect House to come in as he’s a bit of a bigger body than Black. But if any of the others get injured instead then I’d expect Black to come in for them before House because of how agile he is for quite a tall guy plus has good speed.

Agreed. Unfortunately I have a feeling the coaches will drop him for Taylor / Henderson once they’re back but he’s still good depth to have for the rest of this season and beyond.

Have a feeling our defence will line up like this next season (if everyone is fit):
FB: Bews - Blicavs - Kolodjashnij
HB: Tuohy - Henderson - Stewart
7th defender: Henry

If we lose Blicavs or Henderson to injury then I’d expect House to come in as he’s a bit of a bigger body than Black. But if any of the others get injured instead then I’d expect Black to come in for them before House because of how agile he is for quite a tall guy plus has good speed.
Spot on. But I think some how they will play Harry in defence b4 Blitz. And they will play Blitz where ever were short in a position But then again we will likely never have our best team on the park.
But Black been a awesome find in the back ( far better than Zuthrie ). I do feel for Black as I hope we can give him a new 2 year contract.
Going to be interesting to see who Geelong desist and who ask for trade at the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back