Toast 2018 All-Australian Squad/22 - Hurn, Gov and Gaff Named+ Simpson Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how many Eagle supporters that wanted Hurn kicked out as captain 6 months ago are now the ones that are upset that he's not AA captain?

What a pile of BS to say. There is nothing wrong with thinking that 2017 Hurn shouldn't be the 2018 captain. And again there is nothing wrong with watching how someone performed in 2018 in a job responsibility and did better than most of the other benchmarks at said job responsibility deserves the praise and prestige that those kinds of performances deserve. Combining the two into some BS opinion statement like you did is why people consider football fans to be idiots. If you analysed Hurn's performance in 2017 you'd say "probably not captain material given the other options". If you analysed Hurn's performance in 2018 you would be damn well pressed to find any issues.

What a pile of BS to say. There is nothing wrong with thinking that 2017 Hurn shouldn't be the 2018 captain. And again there is nothing wrong with watching how someone performed in 2018 in a job responsibility and did better than most of the other benchmarks at said job responsibility deserves the praise and prestige that those kinds of performances deserve. Combining the two into some BS opinion statement like you did is why people consider football fans to be idiots. If you analysed Hurn's performance in 2017 you'd say "probably not captain material given the other options". If you analysed Hurn's performance in 2018 you would be damn well pressed to find any issues.
Well Fidstar, there's 1

Reasonable pondering I would have thought but has struck a nerve by the looks.

Shane Edwards is a fine player and more than deserved a gig. He's one of the more underrated players going around and it's always nice seeing those types rewarded with an AA guernsey.

Correct.

Unless it's at the expense of Macrae, Yeo or Devon Smith who all clearly had better seasons and should be recognized for it.

I like Edward's, always have, but this isn't junior footy.

I think you've overreacted to my statement. Firstly the comment was made fairly tongue in cheek and more made as a reflection of that people really have no idea if someone is a good captain or not.

The public has **** all knowledge of 90% of what a captain does. That's the off-field stuff. We (as the public) really have no idea if someone is a good captain.

From what I've seen (and I admit it's been all on the TV) Hurn has acted exactly the same on the field this year as he did last year. He's no Ben Cousins. The difference is his form has been exceptional this year and we've been winning.

People with the view I said in my comment are completely results orientated. We don't know if Hurn has been a better captain this year than last year.

fwiw I think the people that pick the captain every year are in a far better position to determine who should be captain, and the fact he keeps getting selected as captain year after year (even though, like you say, there are other good candidates) tells me they are happy with him.

Thanks for calling me an idiot by the way.

I wonder how many Eagle supporters that wanted Hurn kicked out as captain 6 months ago are now the ones that are upset that he's not AA captain?

I didn't want him captain 6 months ago. I thought Shuey was the better choice.

He's done a great job this year and fully deserved to be AA captain.

You are aware that people can improve in their jobs right? Or are you stuck at the same level of performance every year at your job?

Normally a team's supporters over-pump up a guy on their own team.

So when probably half a teams supporters don't think he should have been in the AA then it probably means something.

So who was the better CHB than mcgovern?

I didn't want him captain 6 months ago. I thought Shuey was the better choice.

He's done a great job this year and fully deserved to be AA captain.

You are aware that people can improve in their jobs right? Or are you stuck at the same level of performance every year at your job?

Can you please let me know how you think that Hurn has improved as a captain.

His on field play is obviously a lot better, but I'm curious to find out why you believe all of a sudden he's a better captain.

Correct.

Unless it's at the expense of Macrae, Yeo or Devon Smith who all clearly had better seasons and should be recognized for it.

I like Edward's, always have, but this isn't junior footy.
Agreed with this. He's had a great year, but that fact combined with playing for the minor premiers doesn't mean you have played better than player X, who has played much better all year.

Was a pretty bad decision by the strong Richmond panel of selectors, the minor premiers don't have to have the most players in the AA team. They're minor premiers because they're the best team, not because their list is the best.

Didn't have to be Yeo, there were a number of better performed players.

So who was the better CHB than mcgovern?

That's a reasonable question.

I don't know.

I don't watch enough of the other games to make that call.

I just know he hasn't been that great this year and I'd be very surprised if there hadn't been anyone better out there. McGovern has been in our Top 5 players in only 5 instances this year, which isn't great form. It's basically average. There's 22 players out there. So if you play 22 games an average player would be in the Top 5 on 5 occasions.

I don't believe AA should reward a mediocre season.

I'm also comparing him to how well he played in his other All Australian years, as well as how well Glass/MacKenzie played in their All Australian years (key position backs). They were exceptional across the whole year to make AA e.g. last year McGovern was named in our top 5 players 12 times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you please let me know how you think that Hurn has improved as a captain.

His on field play is obviously a lot better, but I'm curious to find out why you believe all of a sudden he's a better captain.

Personally I think the side is functioning better on field which is obvious.
They appear more organised.
Some of that is the coach and as others have said before, it's a responsibility of the players to carry out the game plan during the day and leadership on field affects this.

A lot of behind the scenes stuff we don't see you are correct. But with a lot of young players in our team on field leadership is more crucial.

That's a reasonable question.

I don't know.

I don't watch enough of the other games to make that call.

I just know he hasn't been that great this year and I'd be very surprised if there hadn't been anyone better out there. McGovern has been in our Top 5 players in only 5 instances this year, which isn't great form. It's basically average. There's 22 players out there. So if you play 22 games an average player would be in the Top 5 on 5 occasions.

I don't believe AA should reward a mediocre season.

I'm also comparing him to how well he played in his other All Australian years, as well as how well Glass/MacKenzie played in their All Australian years (key position backs). They were exceptional across the whole year to make AA e.g. last year McGovern was named in our top 5 players 12 times.

Interesting .I've watched a lot of games this year and can't think of a better CHB to select
He may not have had as good a year as his previous years but compared to the other players available he's the standout choice.

An interesting question to compare is a player like Judd winning 2 Brownlows. How do you compare the 2 seasons? 1 was better than the other imo.

An interesting question to compare is a player like Judd winning 2 Brownlows. How do you compare the 2 seasons? 1 was better than the other imo.

Yeah.

I wouldn't have had so much of an issue if McGovern still had a really good year (but not as good as his other years). If he had still been really good, then I get it, but he had a lot of games where he was poor, a lot of okay games, and only really 2 stand out games. For instance I rated Sheppard to be a lot better than McGovern this year.

With your comparison to Judd. One year was better, but he was still exceptional in the other year.

Blight also criticised All Australian selectors for naming Sydney's Lance Franklin the skipper of the annual composite team when he doesn't captain his club.

"You have already got a captain in there of the West Coast Eagles who finished second on the ladder in the name of Shannon Hurn, and you pick a captain who is not captain of his club, never has been, never will be ... wow, what a decision, I can't believe it," he said.

"Strangest decision I have seen in the All Australian team in the last 10 years."

Nah I'm with fidstar , I think Gov has had a down year (and yep I get the irony with my username ;))

The AA side rewards recent form - your last 11 games are more important than your first 11. Govs first 7-8 rounds were really average, if his season was reversed he wouldn't have been AA.

Davis or Jonas had better seasons IMO

Update thread title thanks

Screenshot_20180930-214103.png

Speaking of AA has any team had a fullback and CHB named in the same season? Now that the criminally overrated Rance is off the scene and all....
Darcy Moore is the new darling KPD who plays for a big vic club so I’d say it’s unlikely. People are finally paying attention to the Lions as well so Harris Andrews is a shout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back