Training 2016 Training Blog - *Training Reports only - NO DISCUSSION*

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's another one. As long as no one points out that Crippa16 is out by 7, we might get some more...

Went down to training today. Here are some observations:

The boys played a 2 quarter practise match before getting into gameplan drills. So these observations are from the praccy.

Crippa: Delivering the ball by foot much better than last year on the run and from a stand start. Delivered the ball beautifully to Cas running at full tilt. His set shot goal kicking looks better than last year as well. He will be better conditioned by Round 1 too but if rd 1 was tomorrow he'd have no concerns, he's really ready to go.

Weitering: Looked at home. Took a couple of nice intercept marks and delivered the ball beautifully. Should be there Rd 1.

Docherty: Intercepted the ball beautifully and anticipated the play coming at him so well.

Cunningham: Just got involved. Found the ball easily, used it well, obviously read the play well and has nice acceleration off the mark as has been mentioned over previous weeks. Good on the inside as well. He was at the base of the ruck taps a lot as well, which was good to see.

Charlie Curnow: He moves pretty well. Presented up at Daisy once and took a nice mark out in front.You can tell that he looks most at home as a lead up fwd. His set shot goal kicking was pretty good. Kicking in general play will be a bit hit and miss. He did play on the ball a bit as well and won a few centre clearances, which was encouraging.

Nicky Graham: Just did what he does well, which is reading the play and finding the footy and neatly delivering it. He's covering the ground well and impacting more around the stoppages as well.

I know this is January but if Smith and Foster something more this year then i Think they will be on the chopping block. Hopefully they come on.

Lamb: Looked really busy, could be pretty handy as a high half forward.

Silvagni: First time I have seen him in the flesh and I was pleasantly surprised with how well he moves. You can tell he's a smart footballer and a natural fwd because he was identifying the space and obviously reading the play well to get on the end of some pretty easy kicks. He's a beautiful kick. As he becomes fitter and stronger over the years I think he has the potential to be more than a handy player.

Gameplan: To me it was clear that they were trying to play on as much as they could especially from defence and be more direct with there lines. There was a bit more shorter kicking than we"ve been accustomed to over previous years. Even when we attack through the flanks and wings its more direct and not 50-60 metre passes down the line but 30-50 metres with runners there in support.

If anyone wants to ask me about any other individual players then go for it.

This is probably the 74,895th time Robbo's my hero has seen his Carlton boys, but he still reports with vigor...

I dropped into Princes Park and watched training for about 90 minutes. I was surprised that I lasted this long as watching without participating is not something I'd recommend.

I arrived in time to hear the music that accompanied the warm-up. Sack the DJ!

I spent the first half an hour doing a roll call in my mind. Notable absentees Gibbs and Gorringe.

While doing this I had a look at the players to check out who's been working hard with the weights. To my surprise Kade Simpson appears to have some muscle definition in his upper arms and bigger, rounded shoulders. I thought this may be a result of Simmo losing a bit of pace and compensating for this with a stronger body. Everitt is bigger this year as well. Arms and shoulders looked considerably bigger. I'm expecting a more physical Everitt this year. Cripps and Kerridge have had plenty of comments concerning their impressive physiques. I had a close look at the young recruits. Weitering's legs are huge. The proverbial tree trunks. Will hold his position in a marking contest. Harry McKay did a little bit of work in front of me. Arms a good size. Cuningham has a very mature body. I was surprised that he looks as big as our seasoned midfielders. Charlie Curnow is a wiry type. I suspect he has plenty of strength. As an aside, he is a huge kick. Jack Silvagni is underdeveloped at the moment. I suspect he and Curnow will have similar physical aspects. Jack gets out the back and runs into space. I suspect he has footy smarts in abundance. I hadn't seen Billy Gowers previously but he's huge. I hope he can play because he'll be hard to stop. Clem Smith looked in good physical condition. He kicked a nice goal from the Social Club pocket as well.

The coach didn't have much to say during the drills except to bark some instructions. I did see him get a little excited during a game drill where he felt the team in possession were lazy, not working and getting into positions to breakdown the defensive press( I think it was the green team).

Impressive trainers. Phillips, Thomas, Tuohy, Cripps, Weitering and Cuningham.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back