AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper - Not playing this weekend due to "knee soreness" - 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

We all need to make tough choices:
  • Draper’s choice of action (if you think his head controls his body)
  • Umpire’s choice to not call it an infringement

In this case, I chose Zach Package interpretation (posted in the win thread)

I actually think there is enough reasonable doubt for the umpire to look at it and not pay it purely because a big, chunky idiot basically lying on the ground in a contested situation with the express intention to disrupt the contest with his body but have no interest in the ball is not something they’ve seen before because no one is stupid enough to do it.

It doesn’t have the regular trappings of something they pay because he didn’t dive on it, or drag it in or stop it getting out.

It honestly looks like Draper saw the contest coming his way and thought the best way for me to stop Tex’s momentum if for me to get in his path and get low so he has to go over or around me and get caught. That part is exactly what happens but then he kinda glitches when he has to play the ball.

Pretty funny.

I choose to celebrate the genius not the outrage media machine

Gotta say, I thought he was ready to turn a corner

He had been average in previous weeks but I had seen him do some disciplined stuff, getting to contests, bringing the ball to ground, blocking etc and thought we were seeing a guy who was learning the game

I had even been praising his improved kicking action - and it is better. But missed an important one last night.

For all the hoo-haa about his flop it was the 50 which cost us way more. Brought Dawson into the game, started a run of goals the crows didn’t deserve.

I still believe that he will have a glorious patch somewhere in the next two years where he will be the best ruck in the comp. Loved that late contested mark. More of that and his game would be set.

I don't disagree that he did some monumentally stupid stuff and needs to go back to the 2s but his actions in the last 2 minutes were vital in saving the game. He spoiled to get a boundary throw in and then took the ball straight away and got it to another stoppage on the wing.

Can he be trusted to be the standalone no.1 ruck with other pinch hitting to support ie Rowan Marshall style?
I’m not sure he can but needs more time.

I think they'll keep him in for ANZAC day but he'll be coached pretty hard throughout the week. They'd be confident he responds positively. He did plenty right last night as part of a team that was absolutely dominating for most of the night. Some of his mistakes stood out as they cost us goals directly and let Adelaide back in because we hadn't capitalised on the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the way he is going we will need to look for another experienced ruck come end of season someone competitive and with IQ. Saying that maybe Visentini wouldn't be too far off given his decent starting size. Even when the Crows went forward later in the last (near the boundary 40m from their goal) he was at the front of the pack and chose to punch rather than mark - being that big and at the front he should have went the mark. Although they are different would much prefer Bryan playing in that he brings greater professionalism - was sticking some decent tackles in the VFL last week too.

With the way he is going we will need to look for another experienced ruck come end of season someone competitive and with IQ. Saying that maybe Visentini wouldn't be too far off given his decent starting size. Even when the Crows went forward later in the last (near the boundary 40m from their goal) he was at the front of the pack and chose to punch rather than mark - being that big and at the front he should have went the mark. Although they are different would much prefer Bryan playing in that he brings greater professionalism - was sticking some decent tackles in the VFL last week too.
You mean the bloke he goes whole games in the VFL taking no marks in perfect conditions.

Draper makes things happen. Bryan doesn’t… at this stage anyway. We won’t win premierships with a conservative mindset. We need a bit of chaos.

This.

Can’t kick, doesn’t know what a contested mark is, zero ruck craft, just runs around beating his chest.

I’d drop him for 2MP next week & only use him if he or Goldy need a rest/injured.
Not this season, but in his better games he's played, he clunks marks, does have a reasonable field kick, wins decisive ruck contests (with limited craft but with athleticism) and is physical with the opposition.

I'd love if he could turn himself into a less dirty, more athletic Mumford.

Agree he should be dropped for wright next week

Noticing more and more Bombers supporters saying the same thing...

"I really like Drape's.... but"
Out in the real world
  • I’m not a racist but…
  • Not offence but…

On Big footy Essendon
  • Jackets has done some good things but…
  • I really like Drapes but…

What is wrong with some people?
comedy fan GIF by CollingwoodFC

Same role

Better execution

I have been saying that we need him to have 5 or 6 marks a game and it’s definitely a much better look
he was played further up the ground than he was vs adelaide, can’t recall him being the deepest forward as often as he was last week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back