AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg
Number: 48
Height: 193cm
Weight: 83kg
DOB: 16-07-1991

Highly rated young defender who was surprisingly overlooked in last year’s NAB AFL Draft but was snapped up by the Tigers in the Pre-Season Draft. Strong defensively, but also reads the play well and is prepared to counter-attack. Represented Vic Metro in 2009 and at the Draft Camp. Finished top 10 in the 20m sprint (2.95sec) and the agility run (8.2sec). Brother of Melbourne’s Jack.

Draft history: 2010 NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft 1st round selection (Richmond) No. 2 overall.

Re: #48 - Dylan Grimes

Coaches Assessment: - http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/106188/default.aspx

Dylan Grimes
Played in round 22 and played well. Always asking the coaches about how he can improve. Will leave no stone unturned to get where he wants to get.

Tiger cub to debut - http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tiger-cub-to-debut-20100824-13qef.html
August 25, 2010

RICHMOND's young defender Dylan Grimes is likely to make his debut against Port Adelaide on Sunday, becoming the 42nd player the Tigers have used this season.

Grimes would also, amazingly, be the 12th player to have made his AFL debut for the club this year.

''Dylan was best on ground in the VFL last week and he is a strong chance to play this week,'' Richmond general manager of football Craig Cameron said yesterday. ''He has been good for some time.''

A brother of impressive Melbourne running defender Jack Grimes, Dylan, 19, who was taken in the pre-season draft last year, is taller than his older sibling and is more of a likely key-position player.

As with Jack, he has poise and composure and has pace and confidence to play a rebounding role.

Given their lowly position, the Tigers have made the decision to put a large number of players in for surgery so they will be ready for pre-season training.

Conca is now living with Grimes since moving over from WA.

Apparently Dyl is renowned for being a very good trainer, Being one of the first to arrive at the club (6am) each day and one of the last to leave and always wanting to do extra work.

Any reason as to why he was overlooked by so many?

Combination of his skinny-ness, in-between height and whether he has enough hurt factor with his disposal to be a damaging half back.

Here's some descriptions of him before he was drafted:

Matt Burgan's Mock: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87451/default.aspx

39 - HAWTHORN - Dylan Grimes
DOB: 16/07/91, Height: 193cm, Weight: 82kg
Recruited from: Hurstbridge/Northern Knights (VIC)
Draft range: 29-46

Meet Dylan Grimes

Hawthorn is the last club to enter this year's draft and will be delighted if James Craig, Joe Dare or Travis Colyer slips through. With a tall defender required to back-up the injured Trent Croad, Grimes is definitely a target. The younger of brother of emerging Melbourne midfielder Jack, he is quick for his size, agile and possesses leadership qualities.

Snoop Dog's PSD/Rookie Mock: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658291&highlight=dylan+grimes+mock+draft

45 Brisbane Dylan Grimes / Northern Knights / 192 / 81kg

Was always one that was definitely going to be on the cusp of selection in the ND. Frankly any kid from 30 onwards was not a certainty. Dylan is the younger brother of Jack who will probably end up more as a defender. Has good athletic credentials though and hence there is a chance he could move more into the midfield group. Goes well in the 1:1 contests and is probably one that could become pretty adaptable in terms of the types he could play on. Another player who I liken to a Goldsack insomuch as you think he could probably play a tall key defensive post but probably more likely to become a 3rd tall defender who can play on a variety of types. Good pace so also a player who defences could run out through in time.

Quigley's Mock: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=653140&highlight=dylan+grimes+mock+draft

PICK 62 – WESTERN BULLDOGS

It should not be a shock if the Bulldogs take a few key position prospects in this draft and whilst their lack of forward gets a lot of attention the cupboard does not have much in the way of key defenders either. Grimes is a guy who is a pure defender who will do a job and do it well. The Bulldogs have plenty of run off guys and having someone who can shut down a dangerous opposition key forward.

Dylan Grimes (Northern Knights, VIC)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 16/07/91

Grimes is one of the best shut down defenders in this draft and that is a skill which teams can build around. What he is not is a rebounding, run off defender who is going to provide an option coming out of defence. He does not seem to even try to get involved and I am not sure whether he just does not have the instincts about where to get to to receive the ball. When he does get the ball his disposal skills seem okay and his technique is solid. He does not have an attacking mindset though and usually takes the obvious option rather than necessarily the best one. He is not a particularly good mark of the ball and I can see him being a big exponent of the punch at the next level. He is a too light at the moment and is likely to start his career as a third tall and it will be interesting to see if he can develop into a key position (I think he can). He does not have a particularly big frame and whilst he is pretty strong for his size he might well struggle against the physical AFL forwards. He has a little less than ideal height and combined that with fairly poor jumping ability he might struggle with the taller AFL forwards as well. He does tend to be a pretty smart defender though and is intensely competitive and that sees him rarely beaten. He has excellent closing speed and good agility and those allow him to cover leads and recover quickly. That speed and agility also allows him to play comfortably on smalls as well as talls. His endurance is also good for a key position although I am sure that will be worked on at AFL level. His strength is also something which will be given a lot of attention. Personally I quite like Grimes and would feel comfortable taking him. I would also be more comfortable giving him a game early knowing that he can do a job for me rather than playing someone who might offer more offensively but lacks defensive instincts. I think it is easier teach someone about where to run to to receive rather than teaching someone how to shut down a tricky forward.

Grimes played for the Coburg seniors in Round 1 on Saturday:

Here's what Development Coach David Newett had to say:

Dylan Grimes (7 kicks, 4 handballs, 3 marks)
Had another strong defensive game. Also provided good spread and attack from the backline.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/110912/default.aspx

Personally - Grimes played in the third tall role, and after a shaky start where he didn't seem to be going very hard at it in the air, he played a very good second half. He cut off the ball, took some crucial relieving marks and got into good spots when we had the ball. His kicking still needs work, and he's still nowhere near big enough to hold down a KPB spot and play on a gorilla KPF.

Sometimes he struggled more than he should have as the third man up. He's got bucketloads of potential, but he needs time. I still worry he'll just end up being a 'tweener' with no real role at AFL level.

Dylan to play his second game this Saturday against the Hawks.

Congrats Dylan.

YOUNG Richmond defender Dylan Grimes is likely to have a sleepless night on Friday after being told he will take on either Lance Franklin or Jarryd Roughead in the Tigers' clash with Hawthorn on Saturday night at the MCG.

The 19-year-old, who made his AFL debut in round 22 last year and has just that solitary appearance to his name, has been added to the side in the wake of backman Luke McGuane's two-week suspension.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/111170/default.aspx

i think he is a more likely type than mcguane or thursfield.

bit worried about him tomorrow, could be in for a bit of a battering, but hopefully he doesnt give up and has a real crack.

well just as i expected, but it was his second game against a top player, he will get better and i look foward to him developing.

I thought he was pretty good on Buddy really - competed pretty well in the air, and he didn't get too far in front of Grimes. There were a few times where the ball hit the deck and Grimes was a bit slow to react - and Buddy really tried to exploit that by being very alert and taking off whenever it hit the ground.

Thought he was even better on Cloke. Cloke's got really strong hands and takes marks on top of his head a lot better than Buddy does, so the height differential was always going to sting a bit. It cost two marks and shots at goal, but in general play I thought Grimes worked really hard and made Cloke work for the ball.

He's very slight - but there's enough talent to indicate he's got a bright future with the Tigers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grimes had 15 spoils last week if I'm not mistaken. Like the look on him, another pre season or two and he will be a good player.

Round 3 that was, they showed it on Footy Classified
It was the equal record with 2 other players until the Brisbane game this week when Merrit got 19

Dyl was on Future Stars this morning, they just talked about how he got over-looked in the ND and then how we picked him in in the PSD.

Dixon commented a few times how big he is now, apparently he's been on the show a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back