#19 Nick Haynes - Inaugural Giant (Pick 7, 2011 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Nick Haynes

Nick+Haynes+H9-cf7UY3tTm.jpg

Height: 192cm
Weight: 87kg
D/O/B: 18/5/1992
Position: Defender

Last edited:
Nice to see him signed on for 2 more years.

Always thought he had talent, but a long way off the physical presence he needs. He has been a revelation as the third tall defender, locking down that spot in the second half of the year after being shaky there for the first few games (picked it up quicker than Hampton). I thought he was another one or two years away to be honest, this guy will be great for us.

He's another one like Tomlinson who I didn't rate last year. Happy to say he's proved me wrong. Takes a courageous mark going back with the flight. Occasionally gets lost and beaten when he's trying to initiate contact, but when he's free to read the ball he's more likely to take the intercept mark. Looking forward to further improvement over the next few years.

Nick Haynes is used to landing in strange positions but not like this. His legs were pointing in opposite directions, he had just done the splits. He knew he was in strife.

"I remember hearing a pop, it can't be good when I hear that," Haynes recalled of the incident against the Western Bulldogs which cost him six games. "I grabbed the left hamstring straight away, I knew something was there."

Footage of Haynes' injury is enough to make the eyes water but that did not stop the Giant from watching a replay of the incident. He wanted to find out how he had performed such a trick.

"It was Josh Dunkley's leg, he dragged it out more," Haynes said. "It's pretty funny, I pause it when I got to the full split. I wasn't cringing, it's just one of those freaky things."

The Giants defender is used to such freaky occurrences. Some have cost him games but one almost led to him calling it quits at the age of 13.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/greater-w...tball-after-freak-injury-20170818-gxzdp4.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/pxazh/...xNDVhMGJlNDA5OCIsInJuZDc4NTciLCIxMjZjOTIwIl0=

Locked away: GWS defender Nick Haynes inks five-year deal

GWS has secured the signature of Nick Haynes, after the defender inked a five-year deal.
Haynes was entering the 2019 season as one of a number of Giants who were coming out of contract, with the 26-year-old’s mega deal a huge endorsement for the club.
Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and Adam Tomlinson headline Haynes’ teammates who are yet to recommit to the Giants, while Matt Buntine, Jacob Hopper and Harry Himmelberg are still to determine their future.
Giants list manager Jason McCartney described Hayne’s re-signing as a “massive coup”.
“Nick goes about his business quietly and sometimes doesn’t get the plaudits externally, but we see him as one of the most impressive defenders in the game and a key part of our defensive set-up,” McCartney said.
“He’s a fantastic person and a great contributor to our football club and we couldn’t be happier to have him commit long term to the Giants.”
Small forward Brent Daniels also signed a new deal to anchor him at the club until at least the end of 2021.
“To also secure the signature of Brent is a great result,” McCartney said.
“He’s an impressive young man on and off the field and we’ve been delighted by what he has brought to our group since he first walked through the door 12 months ago.”

Haynes has played 105 games since being drafted with Pick 7 in 2011, while Daniels played seven matches in his debut season last year.

OK, so this piece of analysis about Nick Haynes' game and how important he is to the Giants is from a completely unexpected source ... the ABC. But it is a great review of defensive strategy, and I thoroughly recommend having a read. (There's some video too, to illustrate some of the analysis.)

The current evolution of AFL football can be hard to follow. Listed set positions are less relevant than ever, and movement patterns are intertwined so that simply following the ball can miss the scope of the play. When looking at how play sets up in modern footy, there are few better individuals to watch as a case study than GWS defender Nick Haynes. Haynes simply reads the play better than nearly anyone else.

For a newcomer to this great game, watching Haynes can be an introduction on how to anticipate where the ball is likely to go, or how to influence the game without having the ball. It's one of those things best absorbed live, as most of the traditional camerawork neglects his role. Entering his ninth year in the league, the converted forward/midfielder is leading the conversation for the best defender in the game.

Currently, Haynes sits atop the defenders' version of the Coleman Medal — the intercept mark leaderboard.

Capture - Haynes graph.PNG
No defender plays alone, and defensive success is best judged by the performance of their entire team. On that measure, GWS have been near the top of their game for much of the past five years.

Congratulations on reaching 150 games, and a life membership of the GWS Giants Football Club. The sentiments in the media piece are a great testament to you and how you go about your footy and your life. :clapping: :thumbsu::)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason for Nick Haynes' rather diabolical form in 2022 is revealed in this article:

NICK Haynes says he feels "reborn" after overcoming a health problem that last year reduced him to a fatigued, under-performing shell of his All-Australian best. What the footy public didn't know is Haynes was also battling a debilitating health issue. Back in 2015, his fourth year at the Giants, the former No.7 draft pick developed severe ulcers in his oesophagus and a gastric reflux disease from taking too many anti-inflammatories. After years of managing the issue, it deteriorated again last year due to medication that he now knows was "doing more harm than good".

However, with a change in diet and supplements, the 30-year-old has put together his best pre-season in three years and is ready to again be a key part of a young Giants backline. "I lost four or five kilos and was struggling with energy," Haynes recalled to AFL.com.au. "I couldn't digest food properly and I had constant stomach problems. It's been a long process. I kind of forget what it's like to play a game and not be wanting to go to bed straight afterwards. Even in pre-season (this year), to have energy in the afternoon for weights and different rotations, being able to perform at the club every day and get better ... or even focus in meetings. It's all combined into helping me get my confidence back to do what I know I can do on a footy field. It's had a massive impact not just (on) football, but my quality of life. It's helped my mood, not waking up and having these problems, and just everything else off the field. I feel like I've been reborn, to be honest."

Haynes, whose 185 games is the fourth most in club history, has played the opening two rounds and says he's enjoying being part of a backline that is constantly improving with Sam Taylor, Jack Buckley and Connor Idun at the key posts.

Congratulations on your 200th, Nick Haynes. An outstanding human being. Hope you have a great game.

Inaugural GIANT Nick Haynes admits it wasn’t the career path he envisioned as an anxious teenager but says it’s one he’s deeply proud of as he prepares to play his 200th AFL game this weekend.

Taken at pick seven in the 2011 AFL Draft, the wiry young midfielder-forward turned star defender will become just the third GIANT drafted by the club to reach the 200-game milestone. While he’s made a name for himself as one of the competition’s best intercept defenders, Haynes says a career on footy’s biggest stage wasn’t always the grand plan, revealing that mental demons drove him away from the game as a youngster. More than a decade later, the 31-year-old is set to add another major achievement to a decorated career which includes a spot in the 2020 All-Australian backline, selection in the 2019 All-Australian 40-man squad, and the 2020 Kevin Sheedy Medal as the GIANTS’ club champion.

“It’s pretty surreal,” Haynes said, reflecting ahead of the milestone match. “Back when I was 18, I was playing local football and I never thought I’d play one AFL game, so to play 200 for one club is surreal. From not wanting to play AFL at a young age, or I didn’t think I was going to play AFL, to be playing 200, it’s nice to be able to reflect on that, and go back to my earlier self and be proud that I was able to make those leaps that I didn’t want to make when I was young. When I first got drafted there was a lot of self-doubt as a footballer and so to be sitting at 200 is a super proud moment.”

Haynes - who uses meditation as a way to help with the mental side of being a professional footballer - will join teammates Toby Greene and Lachie Whitfield as those to have played 200 games since being drafted by the GIANTS, with Callan Ward also achieving the feat since crossing from the Western Bulldogs. “Those players are great friends and great people and helped build the culture of this club so I’m super proud of the club and where we started and where we are now,” Haynes said. “Being here from the beginning is massive for me and being an inaugural GIANT. All the people involved, from the lowest to the highest, are all humble and hardworking and that’s what I’m most proud of is the people at this club. They’ve helped me grow into a man that I can be proud of and that culture that we’ve built has really made that happen.”

more in the story (and the previous video story)

Another interesting stat regarding Nick Haynes:

Haynes stat.png

GIANTS veteran Nick Haynes says it's taken four years, but he's finally overcome his demons.

Slipping out of form and favour because of chronic health issues, Haynes proved his case to coach Adam Kingsley with a starring role down back in the GIANTS' 32-point Opening Round win against Collingwood on Saturday night. Keeping the likes of Bobby Hill and Nick Daicos at bay, the defender had 23 touches and seven intercept possessions, but his selection in the team had once seemed unlikely for the long-time club servant.

While managing severe ulcers in his oesophagus and a gastric reflux disease, Haynes dropped out of Kingsley's preferred back six last year and was left out for the semi and preliminary finals. However, a change in supplements and diet helped Haynes rediscover the form that earned him a 2020 All-Australian nod.

"The body feels as good as it has in a few years," Haynes said on Monday. "Those health issues can mentally drain you and become frustrating, but I'm in a great spot now mentally and physically. The goal coming into this year is just to be healthy and happy. If I'm those two things, I can play good football. You can go two ways about it. You can have excuses, or you can grit your teeth and put (things) into action."

Haynes was at a crossroads at the end of last season, but opted to put his head down and give Kingsley something to think about, instead of seeking a trade. "I was 31, coming into the year not in the team, so obviously you do question where your future is at, whether it was at the club," Haynes said. "It was tough at the end of the year as a competitor. You want to be playing in the finals, and I've been there since the start, but I had a great chat with Adam Kingsley. If it was my choice to stay then I wanted to stay, and at the end of the day it was, so that made an easier decision. This year is as good as any that we can push for that premiership, and I don't want to miss any part of that. Hopefully I have a year or two left in me. I've got a little baby coming in three weeks, so it'll change a bit, but I'm really happy."

Another story detailing Nick Haynes' medical/physical issues, in particular, his multiple staph infections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back