AFL Player #17: Todd Goldstein - 10,000 hitouts - A VFL/AFL first

Remove this Banner Ad

17 - goldstein.jpg
Contract Status: Out of contract 2024
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 25, Vander18

Welcome aboard, big fella.

Never thought I'd see the day when Todd Goldstein plays for Essendon, but here we are

Last edited by a moderator:
Draper might not be on the field for a little while. But last year our forwardline was at it's most potent with him down there, sharing it with Phillips.

Think Bryan isn't ready to ruck one-out for a full season yet either, so a high chance Goldstein plays a significant role alongside either of them, plus whether he can (hopefully) add some coaching assistance to these days.

Draper doesn't do the basics well, Goldstein was exceptional at the basics. Hopefully Draper can learn from him.

What's the thought on how Essendon are planning to use him? From what I heard the Essendon deal was guaranteed money as opposed to Collingwood whose deal was more based on games he played - which would indicate he's going to get a fair bit of game time at the Bombers. Will Draper be played more forward?
I'd say a large part of the deal will also be a continuation into a coaching role post-retirement. Whether that be as a ruck coach or as an assistant, hard to say until later on

For 2024 I'd say he'll probably be playing a fair bit as others have said; Draper having hip problems is certainly not ideal

Personally Im really happy with this trade. I liked how the lions used senior guys like hodge/birchall as on field coaches in the early years of the fagan era and I think goldy can do similar. Even if he didnt come from a winning team like they did he still was one of the premier ruckmen throughout his career and can impart alot of knowledge.

Reckon he plays the majority of the first half of the season and we reassess from there.

Even if Draper can go he won't have the work in the legs to ruck as much as he did last year, and he's a burst animal anyway so you'd anticipate it's probably 30/70 ruck forward to start for him.

Bryan would need to have the biggest pre season of all time to start ahead of Goldstein as the other ruck IMO.

Personally Im really happy with this trade. I liked how the lions used senior guys like hodge/birchall as on field coaches in the early years of the fagan era and I think goldy can do similar. Even if he didnt come from a winning team like they did he still was one of the premier ruckmen throughout his career and can impart alot of knowledge.

FWIW the North posters I read mentioned he'd never once been in the leadership group that they can remember, so I'm not sure he's a leader in that sense.

What's the thought on how Essendon are planning to use him? From what I heard the Essendon deal was guaranteed money as opposed to Collingwood whose deal was more based on games he played - which would indicate he's going to get a fair bit of game time at the Bombers. Will Draper be played more forward?
Draper probably misses the first month or so. Goldy and Bryan in tandem to start and then hopefully Goldy moves to VFL.

387067128_18393507163057143_7441024211041759329_n.jpg

This looks so strange to me.

probably end up using him interchangeably with bryan, and likely providing a mentorship role in conjunction with mark jamar for the two of them

The photographer: "Ok Todd, can you give us 'devastated to be here'?"

Probably a bit spooked given the last joint he was at didn’t have a ceiling.

Not used to being enclosed, will have to coax him out with small bits of cheese like a frightened possum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW the North posters I read mentioned he'd never once been in the leadership group that they can remember, so I'm not sure he's a leader in that sense.
i’m not too concerned about this honestly, i feel like he’ll be important in an understated way; like, off field, around the club stuff vs actually joining a leadership group.

actions vs position, if that makes sense

i’m not too concerned about this honestly, i feel like he’ll be important in an understated way; like, off field, around the club stuff vs actually joining a leadership group.

actions vs position, if that makes sense

If he can teach Draper and Bryan how to do the basics at the level he’s done them and how to keep themselves on the pitch each week then that would be a big contribution.

Draper has to stay on the park to start with . Has not managed to see out a full season . We will play two rucks and Sam has also struggled to play more than 60% ruck time so yes Draper to play a bit of forward and I suspect Goldy as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back