AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

Two of the Waterman marks I doubt anyone stops. One mark and goal was on Kelly so Laverde gave up 2 goals and there should have been a third. He played okay.

harsh, he tries. his ability just isn't good enough
Ability is nothing to do with it when you give away a free kick like that on Greene. Just mentally doesn't care. Anyone switched on would know it wasn't necessary.

I’ve said before Scott isn’t dropping him until he costs us a game. We’ll see if this is the one. Guy is VFL quality and way too slow for the game. A good fourth qtr made people forget that he’s been terrible all year
forget vs forgive. think everyone knows that’s his peak but were lenient since it did give us a win

forget vs forgive. think everyone knows that’s his peak but were lenient since it did give us a win
give the guy a break. recruited as a tall midfielder/forward , then pushed back as a second tall, did ok so he gets the job as main full back against the monsters. This year he struggles for form early then plays a breakout game as second back and you doubt him. other clubs would laud him as one of their main roleplayers,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve said before Scott isn’t dropping him until he costs us a game. We’ll see if this is the one. Guy is VFL quality and way too slow for the game. A good fourth qtr made people forget that he’s been terrible all year
Ridley &/or Reid fit should see Jayden head back to VFL level. Not for a couple more weeks

Was great after quarter time. Solid two weeks.
Agree. In fact Hogan beat McKay more times than Riccardi beat Laverde. People need to take the bias blinkers off and just watch the game. He did a s**t load of good stuff after a couple of early one on one defeats.

I think his spot is in danger once Ridley/Reid are fit but the shrieking over some of his performances are a bit over the top.

I don't think he did a lot wrong, and it's worth remembering that mistakes in the back half look far worse than the same error in attack simply because the opposition score more immediately.

The past few weeks/months Scott has been hammering his 'effort and intent' mantra and with that in mind it's easy to see why a guy like Laverde gets games.

3/4 of the goals in the first quarter he was directly responsible for.

He could not give less of a heck about trying.
Dude….could we use an upgrade? 100% we could.

Does he care? Yes, he’s basically broken himself sitting in front of packs and getting creamed week after week. Dusts himself off and comes back for more every, single time.

Agree. In fact Hogan beat McKay more times than Riccardi beat Laverde. People need to take the bias blinkers off and just watch the game. He did a s**t load of good stuff after a couple of early one on one defeats.

Even the Riccardi goal was barely his fault. No pressure on the ball carrier and set it perfectly on his head. Defender loses that contest 95 times out of 100. The Greene free was a bit s**t but Kelly had flown for the contest, let it get out the back to his man. Likely ends in Jones goal over the top if Laverde isn't applying pressure.

I get having players we need to upgrade, I certainly have mine own, like Kelly and Heppell, but always give credit when I think it's due.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back