AFL Player #13: Nik Cox 🦄 - Skipper called him 'the Unicorn' in an interview (confirmed!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Per the AFL
Nic Cox has applied a game-high 23 pressure acts so far in this match, with 15 of these coming in the attacking half of the ground. He also has a tackle efficiency of 80% (4 tackles from 5 attempts).

That’s interesting to note. I thought he had a bit of a stinker tonight with his disposal and decision making but have to commend him on his pressure.

Per the AFL
Nic Cox has applied a game-high 23 pressure acts so far in this match, with 15 of these coming in the attacking half of the ground. He also has a tackle efficiency of 80% (4 tackles from 5 attempts).
Does a handball that puts a team mate under the pump count as a pressure act?

Sensing a direct correlation to how skinny his arms are with every handball he makes falling to his teammate's knees.

Needs a Rich Piana 8-hour arm workout.

Dodgy handballs aside he is going okay but if he ever gets some confidence in his game he could just explode. Right now he is doing a lot of team stuff which is great but he does have the scope to really take hold of the game at times if he backs himself in.

His confidence is gradually returning, it’s great to watch.

He’s gone from 100% lost as a footballer to a bloke who is contributing and competing every week. The next stage will be, as Ant says, to really start backing his ability and doing some of the stuff that made him such a unique prospect.

Well done to Scott and the coaching staff for turning this bloke around.

One does wonder how/why a 200cm, dual sided running machine needed to be turned around….but let’s leave that alone and focus on the here and now!

His confidence is gradually returning, it’s great to watch.

He’s gone from 100% lost as a footballer to a bloke who is contributing and competing every week. The next stage will be, as Ant says, to really start backing his ability and doing some of the stuff that made him such a unique prospect.

Well done to Scott and the coaching staff for turning this bloke around.

One does wonder how/why a 200cm, dual sided running machine needed to be turned around….but let’s leave that alone and focus on the here and now!
Yeah, look at Perkins. It just clicked and now he is bordering on elite.

He's one of my whipping boys and I nearly smashed my TV when he handballed to Goldys feet. That being said if he cleans up his disposal and gets some stronger arms he'd could be a weapon
Yeah, but he also made some really nice handballs that released us up the field and out of traffic.

I only really take positives from last night.

I think it proves that his instincts at ground level are the right ones. He tries to absorb body contact to buy time for the team mate he is giving the ball to. He tries a lot of fend offs, too. It's not coming off quite yet but I can put that down to physical development.

I though his general intensity was good. He stood up in high pressure and played his part in exertion of that pressure.

I'll be less patient with his disposal in the second half of the season. I think he's still trying to find the pace of everything.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He really feels like a different player to what he's been the last couple of years. He's gone back to that level of confidence he had in his first year.

Whatever sports psychology is going on it's working, as he's mentally much more with it and he doesn't seem scared any more. And that goes for the rest of the team as well. They all seem very switched on and in a good mental space, throwing themselves into every contest. Well done to Scott and the team.

Scott seems to be giving guys like Cox, Davey and Jones plenty of time and dropping them too quickly. If they are doing the team stuff and applying pressure, he seems to be more forgiving of errors and not getting the ball so much. Should help their development and confidence. If Cox can just tidy up his disposal though please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back