12. David Astbury

Remove this Banner Ad

2010 Season Stats:
17 games 11.4 disposals 3.4 marks 1.7 tackles

Season Highlights:
  • 7 disposals(6 kicks 1 handball) 3 marks 3 goals in 55 point loss to Melbourne Round 4 Debut
  • 17 disposals(10 kicks 7 handballs) 5 marks 2 tackles in 108 point loss against Geelong Round 6
  • 21 disposals(9 kicks 12 handballs) 5 marks in 4 point win over Sydney Round 14
  • 20 disposals(15 kicks 5 handballs) 9 marks in 82 point loss against Collingwood Round 17
Contracted until 2011

Re: 39. David Astbury

Some pre-draft profiles:

Matt Burgan:

71 - RICHMOND - David Astbury
DOB: 26/02/91, Height: 195cm, Weight: 81kg
Recruited from: Tatyoon/North Ballarat Rebels (VIC)
Draft range: 50-rookie
Meet David Astbury

Astbury is a lead-up forward/key defender with strong foot skills - he was ranked among the top-10 in the kicking test at draft camp - putting him right in Richmond's calculations. He also possesses a strong work rate and good endurance for his size. Melbourne and St Kilda have also been mooted as possible destinations. North Ballarat Rooster Myles Sewell, Murray Bushranger Taylor Duryea and Northern Territory's Deon Gordon have also been linked with the Tigers.

BigFooty Mock Draft - Bourky23:

I've weighed up between Dave Astbury and Serhat Temel.

Astbury arguably has the better "draft pedigree" as he has been on the radar for a while, whereas Temel has come to fruition during (and particularly late in the season) with some fantastic football when it counts.

I personally feel Temel is pigeon holed as a forward whereas Astbury could potentially move down back, he has a terrific set of hands and covers the ground well.

Could perhaps be tried down back to start with in his career at Sandringham and what not and eventually become a medium/long term replacement for Riewoldt at CHF if the experiment down back doesn't work out.

Pick #57 - St.Kilda - David Astbury
D.O.B -26/02/91

Start of season measurements.
193cm's
79kg's

Temel would probably have more fan fare at the moment but I personally believe Astbury will end becoming the better player who will adapt better at the highest level long term. Has athletic qualities as well as footballing ability which is what makes a great player in modern day AFL football.

Really could have gone either way but Astbury it is.

Foj1:

Fremantle Pick 36 David Astbury Key Position NthBallarat
Astbury is an athletic tall who has displayed real versatility at TAC level playing forward and back. I prefer Astbury forward and I can visualise him playing a hard running tall forward role at Subiaco. Astbury has considerable work to put in the gymnasium however he is the sort of prospect that should excite Freo supporters.

Details
Number 12
Height 195cm
Weight 86kg
DOB 26-02-1991
Debut 2010
Games Goals
2010 17 2010 5
Career 17 Career 5

coaches view
David has put on about seven or eight kilos. We're looking for him to step up into a leadership role in our defence this year. He's got all the capabilities, he's just got to believe in himself to do it.

an old article, but worthwhile putting up

Astbury happy in the backline

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/newsid/99074/default.aspx

RICHMOND forward-turned-defender David Astbury says he's gone back for the long-term.

Astbury was taken by the Tigers with pick 35 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft after playing all five games for Vic Country in the 2009 under-18 championships, and has played 13 games this season.

Despite kicking three goals on debut against Melbourne in round four, he says he's enjoyed the move to the backline.

"Life as a forward is hard when you're not winning games [like] when I started at the club," he said at Punt Rd Oval on Tuesday morning.

"Now that I've moved back, I think it's a role that I'll find myself in long-term.

"I'm not finding it hard at all - I've got a few good mates down there who are helping me improve, and I think that's where you'll see me long-term."

Richmond had put together a terrific run until a couple of weeks ago, winning five of six matches, and the defensive unit was a key part of the process. In that period, the Tigers were the team least likely to be scored against when the ball went inside 50.

The 19-year-old said the backline has quality, but it isn’t the only place the team has class, albeit young.

"We've got a terrific group - obviously we've got (captain) Chris Newman back there, and some seasoned players in Luke McGuane and Brett Deledio who have senior experience for the last five or six years, so we've got a group back there, and we're improving every week.

"We've got a young and talented group, but I think it was always just going to be a matter of time when we all started to gel together enough to start putting some points on the board.

"And once it happened, we went through a really good period, and we've had a little bit of a setback, but we'll bounce back.

"Obviously inconsistency was going to feature in our season, because we're such a young group.

"I suppose we've got a few tired bodies at the minute, but I think you'll find that we'll bounce back pretty well - we'll start to get on the up again, and show some more improvement."

He said the opportunity to possibly shape the final eight wasn't a thought heading into this weekend's clash with Adelaide.

"They're on the back of a pretty disappointing loss for their footy club, so I don't think it's about shaping the eight, that's not what we go out there to do.

Astbury dishes on debut season

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/...shes-on-debut-season/2053923.aspx?storypage=0

TATYOON - Tatyoon's favourite son David Astbury enjoyed a rare trip back to his home town over Christmas after a successful debut season with the Richmond Football Club.
Despite a whirlwind 12 months which saw him play 17 senior matches, Astbury has remained the same down-to-earth teenager that was picked up at number 35 in the 2009 NAB National AFL Draft.

The 19-year-old admitted he was surprised to have been given so many opportunities in his first year and is keen to reward the club's faith in him.

He went a long way to doing so in the 2010 home and away season when he booted three goals on debut against Melbourne in round four.

Astbury's stand-out performance attracted plenty of praise from coach Damien Hardwick and cemented his spot in the Richmond line-up.

Since his debut match Astbury has settled into a defensive role where he expects to remain for the upcoming season.

The versatile tall will kick off his second year at the club in a new jumper after being entrusted with Matthew Richardson's famous number 12 guernsey.

In a further showing of the Tigers' belief in Astbury, he was presented with the jumper at Richmond's membership campaign launch at Punt Rd in November.

The honour capped of a dream year for the former Tatyoon player who hopes to further improve his game in 2011.

Ararat Advertiser journalist Jessie Antonio sat down with Astbury to find out what his first year in the AFL system was really like.

Jessie Antonio: What have the past 12 months been like for you?

David Astbury: It was a big thrill to be able to play senior footy early in the season and to be able to hold my spot throughout the whole year was pretty good as well. I suppose being a first year player I came across a few injuries and things like that but other than that it was a pretty successful year for me.

Was your first year of AFL what you expected?

Probably not. I didn't really expect to find myself in the senior team so much. It's always the story that when you're young and you're a tall player you normally take time to develop so I expected to be playing at Coburg a lot more.

Did it take you long to settle in at the club?

It was quite an easy thing actually. They'd just had a big clean out of a lot of older players so the group was pretty young. We naturally gelled together pretty early on so I was pretty lucky in that respect.

Who are some of the players you have become close with?

Guys like Alex Rance, Andrew Browne. I'm very close with Jack Reiwoldt as well. There is a pretty good mix of older and younger guys.

What have your living arrangements been like since moving to the club?

The club organised for me to move in with a host family in Coburg. They're terrific people and they're a great support network so I struck it really lucky with them. They help me a lot. When you've had a big day on the track or something like that and you're very tired it's good to come home to a home cooked meal. Also, if I've had a rough week or don't perform very well on the weekend they're always there to talk to and it's just good to have another support. I'm the first player they've had stay with them.

You're at university as well, how are you managing to balance football and study?

I'm studying civil engineering and commerce. Early it was a real struggle to fit in both. From my second and my sixth game or something we had three interstate trips. That takes a lot of time out of your week so I missed a few lectures and stuff. I deferred again for the second semester and I'm starting again this semester. We have a compulsory program being a first year player in the AFL, called the AFL Apprenticeship which is just like a Certificate III in sport so that takes a lot of time as well.

What would a typical week during the season involve.

Usually six days. The pre-season and the in-season programs are very different. The pre-season is just hard work, there is no other way to describe it really. You've just got to grit your teeth and get through it.

The in-season isn't so bad. You need a couple of days recovery (after a game) before you can do anything serious. During the in-season we would train five to six days a week. Wednesday afternoon and Friday afternoon is normally when I do the majority of my study.

Was it difficult to adjust to an AFL training program?

It was. When I was under 18 I did a lot of training but it was maybe an hour or two hours every day or every second day. In an AFL environment it's pretty much a full time occupation. I feel like I've started to get used to it now.

Last year obviously they had already done a month's training before we got to the club so everyone was really into the swing of things before we event got there. It took time adjusting that way but once you've got your first season under your belt and you've played a few games it's much easier to roll into the next season.

From an individual perspective you had a pretty successful debut season. How did you rate your performance?

Early it was very inconsistent which is something that a lot of people expected but I managed to kick a few goals on debut and then found myself playing in defence. Once I settled into a defensive role I averaged plenty more disposals during the second half of the season.

So, I think I played two different seasons in a way. Inconsistent for the first eight weeks and then for the next nine or so I was a bit more consistent which was more pleasing for me.

So you were happy with the opportunities that you got?

Yeah I was. I was very surprised but once the coach, Damien, realised that I was showing some signs at senior level he gave me a lot of opportunities and I was lucky enough to be able to showcase my skills.

What is your relationship with Damien Hardwick like?

It's very good. It's a very professional relationship and we get on well.

Was there any particular highlight that stood out for you in your first season?

The win against Sydney at the MCG in front of 60,000 people where we came from 33 points behind to win by less than a kick in the last quarter. Personally it was my best game for the season as well so it was a good week after that.

You mentioned you suffered a few injuries during the season, how are things looking now.

I had general groin soreness and stuff like that and I had a hip arthroscope at the end of the year just to sort a few things out.

What goals have you set yourself for 2011.

If can play another 15 or so games I think I will be very happy with that, and just try and hold down a key position in the back half. I think that's where I'm going to play the majority of the year so if I can play some consistent football at centre half back that's probably my main goal.

Have you had much free time since the end of last year's home and away season?

We had eight weeks off in between. I went under the knife on the 23rd of August for my hip arthroscope so I missed Round 22 and then we had eight weeks off after that where a few of us went to Thailand. It was really good to freshen up a bit.

We had 15 days off over Christmas and New Year so that was also good. I didn't have much of a chance to get back during the season. Last year I was away from home a lot so I intend to get home a bit more this season.

What do you like to do when you come home?

I've got three sisters so coming home it's a very different household to the one I live in at the moment. It's good to catch up with them. I do miss them a bit.

Did your family get to many games last year?

They got to almost every game apart from the interstate ones. It was good to know they were there.

You have been in the media quite a bit in your first season. Have people started recognising you in the street yet?

It's funny, lately I have been (recognised)

a bit. Towards the end of the season when I was given Matthew Richardson's number that got a bit of media attention and people started to put a name to my face. I was in Noosa over New Years and I was recognised a little bit.

How do you handle the attention?

I'm not really sure. I don't go out of my way to say that I'm a footballer. You play it with a straight bat and try to be as conservative as you can. You don't try and make yourself a big deal in the public because you don't want to create a bad image for yourself.

You are living the dream of thousands of junior footballers but were there any sacrifices you had to make to get where you are today?

Probably the main sacrifice I made (to become an AFL player) was that I finished school as a 17 year-old and I always intended to go straight to university but I realised that I had an opportunity to play state level under 18 football and really focus on it, so I ended up deferring university and living in Ballarat for a year. I managed to get myself drafted but I was kind of living away from home and not living in Melbourne where I went to school and stuff so it was a bit isolating for me. I guess that was the biggest sacrifice but luckily it paid off.

What advice would you give this year's draft picks?

Just encourage yourself to be an extrovert or I guess express yourself because the sooner the guys can see what you're like the quicker they'll understand you and the better relationship you will have with them. Also be consistent with your training habits.

id would think barring injury astbury will play 22 games as the coaching staff are trying to pump games into our kids.

Barring injury or a horrible loss of form, should play at least 15 games. Will likely get a rest or two during the season, but we have high hopes for him.
Might not be a big scorer in DT or SC but is cheap and would increase in value. I take it that's why you were asking?

As a curious outsider, whats the deal now with Richmond and Astbury? Heard he was relegated because of lacking form, but going from being a sure fire best 22 call up to not playing a game this year? Something must be up.....

Secondly, would you guys be willing to part with him at all? Possibly to the red and the white? ;)

As a curious outsider, whats the deal now with Richmond and Astbury? Heard he was relegated because of lacking form, but going from being a sure fire best 22 call up to not playing a game this year? Something must be up.....

Secondly, would you guys be willing to part with him at all? Possibly to the red and the white? ;)

Coming into 2011 he put on like 6kg of muscle. Showed quite a bit in the NAB cup but couldn't continue that into the season proper. Seemed a bit slow and not quite used to his extra weight he was carrying.

Dislocated his knee cap playing your mob last year. Had a few set backs in recovery and only became match fit to play VFL a few weeks ago.

Doubt we'll play him this year. Probably best to set him up for an uninterrupted preseason this year for a return in 2013.

I like him, needs to work on a few areas but he's got some handy tools that can make him a solid KPP IMO. Just needs time to get his body right and develop - like all talls.

P.S We'll gladly take Rohan or Reid off your hands for him. ;)

P.S We'll gladly take Rohan or Reid off your hands for him. ;)

HA!

Thanks for the analysis. I forgot about him doing his knee last year. Beyond asking for Reid and Rohan (neither who will ever leave the club), what would be fair trade compensation for him? Fringe best 22 player + a 2/3 round pick?

Is apprently rated extremely highly within the coaching ranks at Punt Road. I am a big fan, hoping he gets a game or 2 before the season's out just to remind him of what the intenstity is like in AFL. Will do wonders for his pre season.

The problem with Astbury is he's one of those players where their value doesn't translate well onto the market as he hasn't really had much of an opportunity to prove his worth and he wasn't a very high draft pick (in the 30's), so a lot of his value is potential and that he plays in a position we are desperate to fill (FB and CHF). Whether that potential is fulfilled is questionable but with talls, IMO they need at least 4 fit years in the system to prove their worth.

For us to seriously consider trading him, you'd probably have to offer something ridiculous like your 1st rounder, considering your 2nd and 3rd rounders will probably be in like the 40+ this year.

Though purely hypothetically and objectively speaking, how about TDL + 2nd/3rd rounder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've got HBF's coming out the wazoo. We need small forwards and mids.

What's Parker's worth? He'd have to cost a bit to move I suspect.

Highly rated by everyone at the club from the fans right up to Horse himself. Not going anywhere unless he gets a very sudden case of homesickness.

How about TDL + a 3rd for Astbury?

HA!

Thanks for the analysis. I forgot about him doing his knee last year. Beyond asking for Reid and Rohan (neither who will ever leave the club), what would be fair trade compensation for him? Fringe best 22 player + a 2/3 round pick?
Unlikely that we would trade away a promising young KPD, especially now that Kelvin Moore has retired.

Very impressed with DA's game today. Gave Hurley a bath. This kid can play. Just needs some games and some time.
Agree but where's he gonna get em? Surely not with Grimes, Griff, Rance and Chaplin all fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back