Retired #11: Damien Peverill

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 11. Damien Peverill

Played well today, but should probably be moved on at the end of the year.

Agree.

He has been bloody good the last couple of weeks (Even though Brown beat him today and kicked 3 last qrt goals on him).

Agree.

He has been bloody good the last couple of weeks (Even though Brown beat him today and kicked 3 last qrt goals on him).

Pretty sure Browny kicked at least one of em on NLM.

He is worth one more year as insurance. Bleeds red and black and always give 100%.

My feel is that when we get injuries to senior players - guys like him are needed rather than a team full of kids.

Not sure about other games, but his last 2 have been pretty good.

I wouldn't like to see him get another contract, but it'll be nice for him if he can play out the last 6 games, especially after Mr Morbidly Obese came out and said he was done.

Another strong performance today and really hasn't put a foot wrong in the past 6 weeks or so.

It's going to be very hard to delist him or ask him to retire, given how well he is playing!

To think that just 2 weeks ago I said I wouldn't like him to get another 1 yr contract!

I think him getting another year contract depends who else we delist.
We will probably try and delist about 7 players. I do hope that we can hang onto him for another year. He deserves it.

Draft clouds Peverill's future: Knights
7:35 PM Sat 02 August, 2008
THE FUTURE of midfielder Damien Peverill could ultimately be decided by the club's determination to get the most out of the "last uncompromised draft", according to coach Matthew Knights.

Peverill and teammate Jason Johnson were told earlier in the season that opportunities would be limited this year with Knights' focus on youth.

After breaking back into the side in round 14 following a stint in the VFL, Peverill's run heightened with 30 disposals and nine clearances against Melbourne on Saturday.

But Knights indicated the improvement in the 29-year-old's form might not be enough to secure his future at the club, given the upcoming draft restrictions the Gold Coast and West Sydney franchises are set to force.

"It's really difficult," he said. "What you've got to match up, it's not just the equation of whether it's Jason or Pev or a senior player, this is the last uncompromised draft.

"It's really important that you maximise your picks, and the evolution of the game means that there's five or six players that come onto your list at the end of the year and five or six players that have to leave.

"That's the brutal reality of AFL footy. When we sit down and have those discussions over the next two to four weeks, that's when it will come to fruition."

However, Knights praised Peverill's recent efforts and his ability to put the disappointment of his discussions with the coaching staff behind him.

"He's got a strong mind, and when I sat down with him and Jason, it was tough for them," he said.

"I said [to them that] while opportunities may be scarce, it doesn't mean you won't be playing, but at times it will be tough mentally.

"He's rode through that, come out the other side, and when he's come into the team, he's taken his opportunity.

"For that, he's contributing really well and he's a strong part of our team at the moment.

"All credit to him. In regards to post this year, we haven't sat down and had those discussions, so that's something for the end of the year."

Knights also recognised the performance of Andrew Lovett, who returned from a two-game club suspension for missing a training session.

"To come back and have 21 disposals and kick two goals, I thought was a very sound effort," he said.

"He played a decent part in us winning the game. He's a quality footballer, and you don't get too many more damaging players with the ball in his hands.
"We were always of the opinion that he'd serve his sanction and then we'd get on with it."

http://www.bombersfc.com.au/tabid/6477/Default.aspx?newsid=64690

dam.

Hmm, putting it like that makes sense though.

You give Pev a one year contract and that's all he'll play for, just 1 more year.

OR

You use every pick you have, you take some kid with draft pick 80 and you roll the dice.

Have to admire him.

Just over a month ago his career was finished for all money, but he's just too damn stubborn to give up. Playing really well. :thumbsu:

Watching Knights' press conference after the game, it didn't seem like Pev will be here next year.

I won't be too disappointed if he isn't there next year, I see him being squeezed out anyway.

You probably wouldn't pick him for Round 1 next year with everyone up and about.

What I do fear is the message it sends to the group if we don't sign him for another year...

Sorry boys, training hard and playing well just isn't good enough.

Tough one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I won't be too disappointed if he isn't there next year, I see him being squeezed out anyway.

You probably wouldn't pick him for Round 1 next year with everyone up and about.

What I do fear is the message it sends to the group if we don't sign him for another year...

Sorry boys, training hard and playing well just isn't good enough.

Tough one.

It is a tough one but i am very confident it will be well accepted.

Modern footballers are a different animal and are well aware about list management, compromised drafts etc.

We are full of young kids so it will keep open an opportunity for some of them.

I have complete faith in Knights selling his strategy to the players and they appear to have complete faith in him so should embrace or at the very least understand any decisions made.

He won't be there next year.

If he's not playing AFL next year then the system is wrong.

I agree. He is one of the few at Essendon who is willing to put 100% effort in all the time. He deserves to be playing next year. I'll be very angry if he gets cut from the list.

I love you Pev. You are Essendons most reliable player.

I'm not going to say whether or not he should be there next year but i would like to see him continue next year.

Hope he is retiring and he can properly honour him in Round 22. We gain nothing from keeping him in the team and he is simply taking up a spot a kid like Hocking or Hislop should have. If we were to have our full complement of players he would not be in the team. He has been a warrior and I admire him for his tenacity and willingness to perform at 100% every week:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back