AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Signed to 2030 - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it’s his decision making that’s the issue moreso then his kicking which is fine (especially without pressure)

Seems like Andy and the coaches have done a good job simplifying his role and that’s led to good results.

Now he’s a lockdown small and 3rd/4th option defensive user and he’s thriving in that role.

Would be back to the number one slot out of the top 3 taken in the 2016 draft right now. The luggage is going okay and my man Taranto was having a mare before he got injured.

Had an opportunity to run it inside in the second, elected to hack a 15m chip to Daicos instead (Lance Uppercut)

Also we missed opportunities to transfer to the Warne Stand wing in the last when we often had a spare number there in the last.
Did not say he was 100% perfect. Just said he was not hacking it around the corner without looking from deep in defense as much.

Would be back to the number one slot out of the top 3 taken in the 2016 draft right now. The luggage is going okay and my man Taranto was having a mare before he got injured.

It has taken a few years but he appears to have taken the mantle. Finally got to that level of confidence/maturity required at AFL level and is on the cusp of A grade status.

I honestly think his start to the year last year was better. Playing very well though
I think he has less round the corner or general hack kicks, and seems to be doing more of those twist and turn escape routines before getting on a run (which is perhaps why he is doing less of those hack kicks). But yeah, I think he was good at the start of last year too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How interesting that McGrath is having a better season than McCluggage and Taranto by a considerable margin.

Taranto has also been injured, and McGrath's work has often been unappreciated IMO. Taranto is also a real butcher of the ball.

McCluggage is a good player, but he's an outside-leaning midfielder who's been in a strong side most of his career.

It simply wasn't a draft with a clear out and out star at Pick 1.

Taranto has also been injured, and McGrath's work has often been unappreciated IMO. Taranto is also a real butcher of the ball.

McCluggage is a good player, but he's an outside-leaning midfielder who's been in a strong side most of his career.

It simply wasn't a draft with a clear out and out star at Pick 1.
It was McCluggage. Inside the industry and draft watchers may have known it was a close call or debatable, but McCluggage was the guy that you didn't have to follow it to know the name. The one that you got the stat updates about during the year etc. First I'd ever heard of McGarth or Taranto was when their heads were on the inside footy mag draft edition. And even then you get the feeling Taranto was on there because of the GWS interest.

Very happy we chose McGrath over McCluggage and Taranto. Midfielders are easier to find

Its much harder to find and replace a small defender that can shut down the oppositions best small forward while also chopping off attacks and sending it 500 meters back the other way at 80% efficiency.

Without McGrath, who stops the oppositions most dangerous forward kicking 3-5 every week, and assisting several other goals?

It was McCluggage. Inside the industry and draft watchers may have known it was a close call or debatable, but McCluggage was the guy that you didn't have to follow it to know the name. The one that you got the stat updates about during the year etc. First I'd ever heard of McGarth or Taranto was when their heads were on the inside footy mag draft edition. And even then you get the feeling Taranto was on there because of the GWS interest.

McCluggage was good all season, whereas the others improved and improved as the year went on where McGrath was genuinely rated at #1 by the end of the season. Heaps of times the average punter only hears a couple of names, sometimes those names don't even get drafted, so I don't think it's necessarily an indication of much.

McCluggage was good all season, whereas the others improved and improved as the year went on where McGrath was genuinely rated at #1 by the end of the season. Heaps of times the average punter only hears a couple of names, sometimes those names don't even get drafted, so I don't think it's necessarily an indication of much.
Who has been touted as the superstar of the draft that never got drafted?

He has really good connection with his teammates in the immediate space across half back (within ~5m). He knows when to go, and when to let his teammate do whatever he was going to do and receives the ball that spills out. Looks very fluid, definitely in the zone.

Also for the gram fans since our design is so good

Animated GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back