AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain) - Signed to 2030 - 2/5

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t speak highly enough of him and I hope he keeps the hairstyle. He’s like a much better polished version of Mick Gayfer.

Best on ground for me too. Looked for all money like the pies small forwards were going to take the game away from us in the 2nd but he absolutely cleaned them all up for rest of the game. Should be a lock for AA as a small defender.

Still dump kicks. Still ignores the fat side and kicks up the line from whence it came when we have an opportunity for an overlap.
I was at the game and watched from on high, so saw all the play unfold, plus I've watched the replay in full. I've been extremely critical of McGrath's disposal in the past but yesterday I genuinely can't remember a single dump kick all game, and I also specifically remember numerous examples of him switching to the fat side?

Admittedly, I've missed 2 games being overseas but he seems to be much better with a) disposal and b) not panicking and taking the first option every time. Quite the opposite, actually.

I have been a bit of a bear on McGrath, but credit where it's due he's been unreal this year. As someone who's piled on Pidge in the past I'm well mystified by your comments here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking has really improved. Has he been working with David Rath?
He was indeed working with Rath. Absolutely spearing them mate. There was one he kicked to someone at half forward they had to dive a bit to take it but totally out of the defenders reach - it reminded me of the 80s Hawks kicking to a leading J Dunstall.

I’m eating my words with McGrath. He’s been mostly fantastic this year.

He s**t Hill down after half time and created plenty from half back

Maybe he’s finally found his role, maybe it’s the contract year?

Either way, he’s found his place in defence and I like him there

Always been really good as small defender.

Problem is everyone including himself wanted to be a gun midfielder.
I was at the game and watched from on high, so saw all the play unfold, plus I've watched the replay in full. I've been extremely critical of McGrath's disposal in the past but yesterday I genuinely can't remember a single dump kick all game, and I also specifically remember numerous examples of him switching to the fat side?

Admittedly, I've missed 2 games being overseas but he seems to be much better with a) disposal and b) not panicking and taking the first option every time. Quite the opposite, actually.

I have been a bit of a bear on McGrath, but credit where it's due he's been unreal this year. As someone who's piled on Pidge in the past I'm well mystified by your comments here
His kicking has improved due to the current role being played. Able to have the play in front of him as opposed to around the back of pack or dump kicks in tight contested situations.

Some players are just much better having the play in front of them. Bonus that he is also a very good one on one defender and able to match most small fwds for athletic agility.

Merret has the elite hand to foot speed and skills to do them and parish has the clean hands. So mcgrath odd one out.

If happy to be elite defender then give him 6 years, if still wants to be a mid not sure ess is club for him with parish and merret on long term deals.

Gavin wanganeen had a pretty good career playing a similar position to what mcgrath does.

Always been really good as small defender.

Problem is everyone including himself wanted to be a gun midfielder.

His kicking has improved due to the current role being played. Able to have the play in front of him as opposed to around the back of pack or dump kicks in tight contested situations.

Some players are just much better having the play in front of them. Bonus that he is also a very good one on one defender and able to match most small fwds for athletic agility.

Merret has the elite hand to foot speed and skills to do them and parish has the clean hands. So mcgrath odd one out.

If happy to be elite defender then give him 6 years, if still wants to be a mid not sure ess is club for him with parish and merret on long term deals.

Gavin wanganeen had a pretty good career playing a similar position to what mcgrath does.

Exactly this. He's a s**t kick when he's dump kicking in the midfield. He's an elite kick when the game is in front of him. It's not just David Rath either, he was rated elite last year with his kicking too. It's just the role that suits him better.

I think the improved kicking has come about by banning himself kicking around corners.

As in, he's been told to back himself and run, bounce and carry, break the line, then kick when in space. it's a huge improvement

He does need to be told he doesn't need to bounce after taking 3 steps though 😅

Could go down as a Hurn, Stewart, Vlaustain type of A+ defender. Can get a solid 8 years of consistency and leadership being one of if not the best small defenders in the league. Really wanted him to be a mid but I think well get a lot more value out of him as a team keeping him down back and allowing Perkins, Tsatas, Durham, Hobbs, Caldwell, Merrett, Parish and Setters the midfield minutes

The kick to Jones in the first quarter was excellent. He seems far better than he was a couple of years ago, when he was dump kicking like a maniac.

I think his kicking looks better because there's blokes upfield presenting a target for him to aim at
And he is running with the footy and not just dumping it around the corner .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back