Paul Roos - sickening bias

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
God Roos gives me the irrits. Smug yet transparently biased and intellectually shallow. Craps on about America all the time, engages in little on air romantic moments with his mate Healy.

And the pro-Swans bias is just breathtaking. Hasn't covered himself in glory of late - indigenous athletes will be phased out of the game by endurance concerns - but going on telly and saying straight to camera (bottom lib twitching as the tears welled) that if Goodesy got rubbed out then Lindsay Thomas had to go too, despite all the evidence that they were very different events, was a new low. Basically Bay13 type stuff - our player got rubbed out for something and your bloke did something that looks like it, he has to go too boo hoo hoo. On a major footy show.

Plenty of other serving or former club types go on tele and offer quite reasonable or unbiased opinion - Hird, Eade, Brad Scott last year - and just play the straight bat when given one about their own club.

Roos jumps off his pink BMX, spokey dokeys still clattering, to run the pro-Swans line every time.

Used to enjoy OTC, can't be stuffed with it anymore.

He is horrendous when he commentates Sydney games. Is a nightmare.

Yeah. Eddie and Brayshaw can manage to keep their own allegiances pretty well under the hat, why can't Roos?

The man is so far up himself it is not funny.

Can't comment on OTC as I don't watch it, but as a commentator he gives better tactical insight than most others. Against Freo where apparently gave the worst commentary of all time, he explained very well how the Swans were going to set up against Sandilands and makes a lot better note of position or structure changes than other commentators.

As an amusing side note, against the dogs last year there was a massive thread calling for his head because he apparently said that a dogs shot for goal was 'unfortunately' smothered. Was a few pages along before I pointed out that it wasn't him who said it.

Can't comment on OTC as I don't watch it,

Basically sooked and said "Goodesy got done, Thomas HAS TO GO for this" and wouldn't even watch or analyse the footage.

I will savour his tears on this.

God Roos gives me the irrits. Smug yet transparently biased and intellectually shallow. Craps on about America all the time, engages in little on air romantic moments with his mate Healy.

And the pro-Swans bias is just breathtaking. Hasn't covered himself in glory of late - indigenous athletes will be phased out of the game by endurance concerns - but going on telly and saying straight to camera (bottom lib twitching as the tears welled) that if Goodesy got rubbed out then Lindsay Thomas had to go too, despite all the evidence that they were very different events, was a new low. Basically Bay13 type stuff - our player got rubbed out for something and your bloke did something that looks like it, he has to go too boo hoo hoo. On a major footy show.

Plenty of other serving or former club types go on tele and offer quite reasonable or unbiased opinion - Hird, Eade, Brad Scott last year - and just play the straight bat when given one about their own club.

Roos jumps off his pink BMX, spokey dokeys still clattering, to run the pro-Swans line every time.

Used to enjoy OTC, can't be stuffed with it anymore.

Excellent post. I would have stopped with "Paul Roos - Sickening". Equally as accurate in my opinion.

I can not think of one thing he offers that your local BigIssue vendor can't do instead. Excepting of course crapping on about all things American (Like it's relevant? Like we give a s**t?)

Be high in the running of most annoying commentator. Against pretty stiff competition obviously.

The problem with Roos is that he's a smart guy, but unfortunately he's been insulated in Sydney for too long. It's all he knows now. He finished his playing career there, was an assistant there before coaching there. Since he finished coaching the Swans he continues to live in Sydney and obviously does academy work there.

Not saying Sydney's a bad place or anything like that, but Roos can only commentate on what he knows, and since he's been breathing the Sydney Swans for so long that it's his point of reference when commentating on anything.

His Goodes/Thomas parallel was odd though. Completely separate incidents, completely different outcomes. No need for Roos to defend his boy.

I don't know how anybody gets this passionate about a commentator. Big deal, he's got a bias - most of them do. You don't have to agree with everything (or anything) they say. I don't really care for this standard of total dispassionate impartiality. They can say whatever they like as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes it's more entertaining that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how anybody gets this passionate about a commentator. Big deal, he's got a bias - most of them do. You don't have to agree with everything (or anything) they say. I don't really care for this standard of total dispassionate impartiality. They can say whatever they like as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes it's more entertaining that way.

When a commentator is barracking for a side and he is calling the match it goes too far. Roos does this nearly every time he calls a Sydney game.

Can't stand him.

When a commentator is barracking for a side and he is calling the match it goes too far. Roos does this nearly every time he calls a Sydney game.

Can't stand him.

Yeah, I know I'm in the minority with this issue. It seems to bother a lot of people, but I am generally unaffected by commentators. The only one I really dislike is Luke Darcy just because of his language, "love the way he goes about it", "no doubt about that". Lots of words, says practically nothing.

Yeah this was ****ing amazing! I can't believe the other guys just sat there. Guy has a history of going in feet first cause he is scared versus guy going for the ball....

Yeah this was ****ing amazing! I can't believe the other guys just sat there. Guy has a history of going in feet first cause he is scared versus guy going for the ball....

Healy is his mate and another Sydney line pusher.

I honestly think everybody automatically assumed Thomas was gone so followed what they thought was the party line.

Hasn't covered himself in glory of late - indigenous athletes will be phased out of the game by endurance concerns

Wasn't Roos the same guy that ripped a 20 year old player just coming off 2 broken legs as not AFL standard fitness?

Lucky Ziebell wasn't fit enough - 41 possessions in 69% game time. He might have got 50!

The fact that a commentator shows a bit of bias towards Sydney, as opposed to the default AFL media position of complete ignorance and indifference, really gets under some peoples' skins. It's amazing.

Anyway, he doesn't say much. Lots of unfinished thoughts and half-complete sentences. I don't think he adds a great deal to coverage beyond the occasional tactical insight. I can take him or leave him, and he's not as embarrassing as Kirk.

He was always going to be biased, he left the club a hero and wasn't fired like most others.

Healy isn't afraid to give s**t to the swans, been very critical of us in the past, also one of the only ones who'll run a story on us. I remember when Mitchell committed to us 2 years ago at 17, having previously won the MVP for the under 16 championships for WA, Healy was the only one who made a story of it. Absolutely massive news for Sydney, and no one bothered to know or learn it. Yet here we are getting fed all this s**t over Viney and Daniher, even McDonald.

He is horrendous when he commentates Sydney games. Is a nightmare.

I think it was a game last year vs Essendon and Goodes (or Paul roos vocabulary Goodesy!) had a mark and was going to pass it off with a few seconds left in the game and Roos was screaming Don't pass it!!! :eek::eek::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Don't always agree with Grant Thomas but one of his solid observations was that, post-coaching, Roos has become the "Minister for My Way". Every blessed issue, all he has to offer is how he did it at Sydney, as though one flag in a row a few years ago makes it the example everyone must follow.

but going on telly and saying straight to camera (bottom lib twitching as the tears welled) that if Goodesy got rubbed out then Lindsay Thomas had to go too, despite all the evidence that they were very different events, was a new low. Basically Bay13 type stuff - our player got rubbed out for something and your bloke did something that looks like it, he has to go too boo hoo hoo. On a major footy show.

Even by Roos' standards that was astonishingly poor.

I think it was Grant Thomas or someone who took issue with the fact that Roos, at every given opportunity, insists that his way was the be all and end all of how to manage a list and coach a football side, of the "GWS needs more Teddy Richards" ilk and that sort of thing.

I have no problem with Roos using the Swans as his go-to example on certain things because A: It's what he knows and B: Fitzroy no longer exists, but the blinkers on that man are gargantuan. What makes it more frustrating is that it's coupled with that unaccountable, non-confrontational manner that he and his minions exhibit.

Bring back Walls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back