Benblinkau's 2011 Phantom Draft (1st round)

Remove this Banner Ad

benblinkau

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2011
Newcastle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
EDIT - pick 28 added

Here is my first go at a phantom draft. I will ease in to it by doing just the first round. Here goes, so be gentle!

1 - GWS - Jonathon Patton (Eastern Rangers)
A standout option for one of the first two picks. A key forward who really needs no explanation!

2 - GWS - Stephen Coniglio (Swan Districts)
Its pretty common knowledge that these first two picks are near certainties. Stephen is a talent, I wont bore you with any more, its all been said!

3 - GWS - Dom Tyson (Oakleigh Chargers)
Good all round midfielder, great leadership potential. A good size and ready to play!

4 - GWS - Billy Longer (Northern Knights)
Is clearly the best ruck in the draft, and will come along in leaps and bounds (pardon the pun) with Brogan there to mentor him. I think GWS will take him in their top 5 picks so that Port are not tempted, although I believe Port would pass on him.

5 - GWS - Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh Chargers)
Getting some defenders is a priority for GWS. Tomlinson would be an ideal pick here. I dont believe GWS are just going to stockpile on midfielders. They have a few gems already. Picking Tomlinson here will keep him out of the clutches of both Port and Brisbane, with Brisbane being his most likely other destination.

6 - Port - Chad Wingard (Sturt)
A good fit for port, has silky skills and seems to have that extra time with the ball in hand. Reminds me of a Gavin Wanganeen. Needs to put some weight on and that will be in the gym at Alberton. Port will be very please to get a local lad at pick 6.

7 - GWS - Matthew Buntine (Dandenong Stingrays)
Another defender for GWS. Can read the play better than most in this draft and will be able to rotate through the midfield aswell.

8 - Bris - Will Hoskin-Elliot (Western Jets)
Some additional speed aswell as some KPP will be Brisbane's priority in this draft. WHE will be too good to pass on with this pick, and I feel they will address the KPP with their next pick.

9 - GWS - Toby Greene (Oakleigh Chargers)
Tough inside midfielder who can get his own ball. Smart and good with his hands.

10 - GWS - Michael Talia (Calder Cannons)
The best KPD in the draft in my opinion and will address a need for GWS. Having the big sticks at either end in Talia and Patton looks the goods for GWS in the future. Talia competed well against Patton, therefore he has some definite upside.

11 - GWS - Elliot Kavanagh (Western Jets)
Has fallen down the pecking order a bit during the year, but has the potential to be one of the steals of this draft if he stays injury free. The risk will be worthy at pick 11.

12 - Bris - Fraser McInnes (Perth)
A KPF is the next priority for Brisbane, Jonathon Brown will not be around forever and this young bloke could learn alot while he is still there.

13 - GWS - Liam Sumner (Sandringham Dragons)
Should be a good outside midfielder/winger. Is skinny, and will need some time to beef up a bit. Has pace to burn and GWS will be happy to see him slide to 13.

14 - GWS - Zyrus Manson (Claremont)
I know, its a long shot! :) but with GWS going for best available, and filling alot of their needs with those picks as well, it may not be too unrealistic for Manson to go this early. I know there is the go home factor etc but it is worth the risk given their picks so far. Zyrus is enigmatic, electric and someone who i would travel to western sydney to watch. He will get people through the gate aswell, which is something else GWS will need in the Rugby dominated west. I await the abusive posts :)

15 - Rich - Taylor Adams (Geelong Falcons)
Next best available at this pick. Good inside midfielder who will probably start playing off of a flank. Is a good all rounder with a good character to match.

16 - Freo - Shane Kersten (South Fremantle)
Freo are desperate for a Big forward to replace Pavlich eventually, with their inability to trade in a big forward, or trade one in that has had any success, the local boy should be grabbed as a priority!

17 - WB - Todd Elton (Dandenong Stingrays)
With the retirement of Hall, and the 'retirement' of Hudson, Elton emerges as a player that could help potentially fill both voids. I see him as more of a KPF that can run in the ruck and these areas are what the Bulldogs needs to address in the draft.

18 - NM - Brandon Ellis (Calder Cannons)
Aquiring a strong, skilled HB with an elite kick is a priority for the kangaroos. This will eventually release wells so he can play in the midfield more. Ellis ticks all of the boxes, and tested well at the combine. NM should pick him here to address their needs.

19 - Ess - Mitch Grigg (Norwood)
Essendon need some quality mids to help out Jobe Watson. Grigg is built, and ready for AFL footy. He has a superb kick and is a terrific decision maker. He will be ready to go round 1 to help the one man band that is the Essendon midfield.

20 - Freo - Josh Bootsma (South Fremantle)
Freo will add another local lad to help with their defence. Son of Brad who Freo tried to secure with a father-son pick, but were unsuccessful. Picking a tall forward and backman with their 2 first round picks will be ideal for their future.

21 - Syd - Tom Mitchell (Claremont) F/S
What a wonderful steal for Sydney. an easy top ten pick and to get him at 21 represents a great acquisition for the swans.

22 - Carl - Jackson Paine (Sandringham Dragons)
Carlton need a KPF, and Paine may just be around here at pick 22 for the taking. A smart player who will address a key missing piece of the Carlton squad.

23 - WC - Hayden Crozier (Eastern Rangers)
WC need some small crumbing types as they are well served in the height department. Crozier has the x factor, and is more then just the guy that 'took that mark'. Whilst inconsistent at the moment, he will age like a nice red wine and should develop in to a fine player. He is exciting with great goal sense, and will complement the tall WC forward line, be it in a pocket or on a flank.

24 - GC - Sam Docherty (Gippsland)
GC need some more good defenders that use the ball well. Docherty is a good decision maker and should be a good fit for a GC defence that will have its fair share of work to do for the next few years.

25 - StK - Andrew Boseley (Geelong Falcons)
With the confirmed departure of Zac Dawson, and despite the saints saying they have enough to cover his departure, i think they will go for a potential replacement with their first pick. Boseley is a sound defender with comparisons to Dustin Fletcher. I feel he is a good fit for the saints here at pick 25.

26 - Rich - Myles Bolger (South Fremantle)
Despite the recruitment of Ivan Maric, I think Richmond still lack a good genuine ruckman. Tyrone Vickery is coming along nicely, but the temptation to land Bolger may be too much. Maric is really only a stop gap measure, and i dont think Graham is good enough. A future of Vickery and Bolger could be a tantalizing prospect!

27 - Adel - Sam Frost (Sandringham)
With loss of 2 KPD in two seasons, finding a long term replacement is a priority. Although they have a couple of emerging backmen in Talia etc, the crows will opt to reinforce this area. Frost is tall and athletic and will be a good pick at 27. If Docherty slides, expect they may consider him at this pick also.

28 - WC - Brad McKenzie (Sturt)
I think he is the next best available. Another handy winger/midfielder to compensate for the departure of Brad Ebert.

Well thats my first round! i look forward to your comments. I am neither an expert, 'in the know', recruiting manager or talent scout, so i am sure the actual draft will look nothing like what i have done here. Its purely a draft based on what i think the needs are for each club, and whether this need outweighs just picking best available. I have picked a mix of mids/KPP for GWS as i dont believe they will blow all of their picks on midfielders.

If there are any mistakes, just let me know!

Enjoy! :thumbsu:

20 - Freo - Josh Bootsma (South Fremantle)
Freo will add another local lad to help with their defence. Son of Brad who Freo tried to secure with a father-son pick, but were unsuccessful. Picking a tall forward and backman with their 2 first round picks will be ideal for their future.

Did they?

Edit: Just came across the article saying they did.

Brad Bootsma wouldn't have played 150 games for Souths before Freo came into the AFL (the Bryce Gibbs rule).

Would have been interesting to see whether anyone bid on him or whether Freo could have got him with their last pick.

Yeh, freo came in to the AFL a year or two too early for that to happen.. Too be honest i hadnt even taken him in to consideration for the draft until i saw the story on afl.com.au this morning. Seeing that article forced me to make a slight change before i uploaded my draft this afternoon. The media can be all over the shop when it comes to which players go to which team, but the fact they tried to get him as a F/S would indicate that they are certainly very interested in him.

What do you think of bolger at pick 26? Will maric, graham, vickery, browne(?) be enough to not consider a ruck at this pick?

I would be amazed if we went a ruckman at 26

Maric is 25 and shopuld last considerable years. Browne is 21. Gus is awful, but hardly old. X is not old either. And Vickery is 20 or so.

Rookie ruck, maybe. Even then I doubt it.

I would be amazed if we went a ruckman at 26

Maric is 25 and shopuld last considerable years. Browne is 21. Gus is awful, but hardly old. X is not old either. And Vickery is 20 or so.

Rookie ruck, maybe. Even then I doubt it.

I know those guys are young, but do you see them improving much? I rate vickery, but the rest im not sure about... I just havent seen them enough to comment. Maric was ok at adelaide, but not a genuine number 1 ruck. I just think Bolger could sure up this area for richmond for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EDIT - pick 28 added

Here is my first go at a phantom draft. I will ease in to it by doing just the first round. Here goes, so be gentle!

1 - GWS - Jonathon Patton (Eastern Rangers)

2 - GWS - Stephen Coniglio (Swan Districts)

3 - GWS - Dom Tyson (Oakleigh Chargers)

4 - GWS - Billy Longer (Northern Knights)

5 - GWS - Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh Chargers)

7 - GWS - Matthew Buntine (Dandenong Stingrays)

9 - GWS - Toby Greene (Oakleigh Chargers)

10 - GWS - Michael Talia (Calder Cannons)

11 - GWS - Elliot Kavanagh (Western Jets)

13 - GWS - Liam Sumner (Sandringham Dragons)

14 - GWS - Zyrus Manson (Claremont)

I have picked a mix of mids/KPP for GWS as i dont believe they will blow all of their picks on midfielders.

If there are any mistakes, just let me know!

Enjoy! :thumbsu:

Four mids, three forwards, three defenders and a ruckman. Major, major props from a GWS fan for not going mid-crazy.

Four mids, three forwards, three defenders and a ruckman. Major, major props from a GWS fan for not going mid-crazy.

Ha ha... I just can't see it happening! They have already, and will get some more really good mids with their picks.. Passing on some of those Defenders and forwards would be suicide.

They also have another year of uncontracted player poaching next year, and im certain they have some lined up already (pendlebury, goddard etc)

They absolutely will/need to mix it up with their first round picks.

It isnt poaching - if they wanted to play for their existing club, then they would have negotiated a new contract ;)

Also, dont forget all the compensation picks we've assembled - the ones you get for having players ... poached ... by ... GWS ... *manic cackle*

It isnt poaching - if they wanted to play for their existing club, then they would have negotiated a new contract ;)

Also, dont forget all the compensation picks we've assembled - the ones you get for having players ... poached ... by ... GWS ... *manic cackle*

Ha ha! You know what i mean... GWS are certainly very well placed not just this year but for the the next few years given those compo picks!

Id be pretty excited if i was a GWS fan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back