2011 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons I would have loved us to use one of the GC compensation picks last year was to get an extra pick at the end of the first round and have a chance at securing a KPP. The fact that Darling was available to us was a surprise, however I rated Karnezis highly as well.

Hadley has the runs on the board so until Karnezis and Lester have a few years in the system we will not know if the call to overlook Darling is the right call.

Assessing Talls at an early age is far more difficult than assessing mids. Some have more developed bodies others are yet to mature. Some like Darling, Gorringe are ready for AFL almost immediately whilst others like Day, Lynch, Lycett will take a few years.

Whilst it is too early to criticize the club on the draft selections, the club can not entirely escape from criticism on not using the full complement of rookie selections available to us.

Using all our picks and including a few developing KP rookies on the list would have certainly benefited us in the long term.

The upcoming draft is incredibly talented in the mids, flankers and utilities. Talls have yet to emerge however the season is early and the various youth leagues and state leagues are in the early stages.
Bit early to discuss the draft but here’s some baby faced potentials for you to gander at; http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/sports/australian_football/athletes

And the names of the boys embarking on a European tour. Not sure if they have games lined up against Man U, or Barca but I’m sure we’ll show those Croatians a thing or two about how to play Aussie Rules. Keep an eye on these boys;:rolleyes:
Devon Smith, Jack Viney, Shannon, Taylor, Brian Coleman-Broom, Stephen Coniglio, Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Whitfield, Chris Yarren, Jaeger O'Meara, Rory Atkins, Nathan Wilson, Nick Vlastuin, Sam Mayes, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Jacob Townsend, Alex Sexton, Elliot Kavanagh, Joshua Growden, Matthew Buntine, Jimmy Webster, Matthew Haynes, Shaun Edwards, Jake Stringer, Adam Tomlinson, Jeremy Cameron, Todd Elton, Sam Michael, Liam Mcbean, Joe Danhiher, Brodie Grundy and Liam Sumner.

Re: Why didnt we pick up Jack Darling?

One of the reasons I would have loved us to use one of the GC compensation picks last year was to get an extra pick at the end of the first round and have a chance at securing a KPP. The fact that Darling was available to us was a surprise, however I rated Karnezis highly as well.

Hadley has the runs on the board so until Karnezis and Lester have a few years in the system we will not know if the call to overlook Darling is the right call.

Assessing Talls at an early age is far more difficult than assessing mids. Some have more developed bodies others are yet to mature. Some like Darling, Gorringe are ready for AFL almost immediately whilst others like Day, Lynch, Lycett will take a few years.

Whilst it is too early to criticize the club on the draft selections, the club can not entirely escape from criticism on not using the full complement of rookie selections available to us.

Using all our picks and including a few developing KP rookies on the list would have certainly benefited us in the long term.

The upcoming draft is incredibly talented in the mids, flankers and utilities. Talls have yet to emerge however the season is early and the various youth leagues and state leagues are in the early stages.
Bit early to discuss the draft but here’s some baby faced potentials for you to gander at; http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/sports/australian_football/athletes

And the names of the boys embarking on a European tour. Not sure if they have games lined up against Man U, or Barca but I’m sure we’ll show those Croatians a thing or two about how to play Aussie Rules. Keep an eye on these boys;:rolleyes:
Devon Smith, Jack Viney, Shannon, Taylor, Brian Coleman-Broom, Stephen Coniglio, Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Whitfield, Chris Yarren, Jaeger O'Meara, Rory Atkins, Nathan Wilson, Nick Vlastuin, Sam Mayes, Will Hoskin-Elliot, Jacob Townsend, Alex Sexton, Elliot Kavanagh, Joshua Growden, Matthew Buntine, Jimmy Webster, Matthew Haynes, Shaun Edwards, Jake Stringer, Adam Tomlinson, Jeremy Cameron, Todd Elton, Sam Michael, Liam Mcbean, Joe Danhiher, Brodie Grundy and Liam Sumner.

Nick Vlastuin

http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/sport...BdGhsZXRlJTJGRGV0YWlsJTJGMzAwNDcxMSZhbGw9MQ==

With that sort of hair, surely he's a shoe-in. :D Vic Metro may count against him slighly.

This just in... Carlton fan rates Carlton player.

Merrett, Patfull and Maguire are all mid 20s. The time to draft their replacements is in a year or two.

I really hope that we target a CHB with our top pick in this years draft, whilst both Patfull and Maguire can fill that role in the short term, I cant see us winning a premiership with either of these two at CHB.

Both were acquired an absolute bargain though and will be more than serviceable in the short term.

I really hope that we target a CHB with our top pick in this years draft, whilst both Patfull and Maguire can fill that role in the short term, I cant see us winning a premiership with either of these two at CHB.

Both were acquired an absolute bargain though and will be more than serviceable in the short term.

Staker?

I agree we need to target a few talls, however I have always been a fan of best available, especially with first round picks.

Out of that list I have seen a fair bit of Coleman-Broom, very very exciting player. QLD has a good crop this year, the best since the 'super draft' imo. There is a fair bit of responsibility on Hadley and co. to get our recruiting spot on in the next few years.

We do need to start looking at some backs, but our need for forwards is more pressing. I'd like to see a genuine forward with the first pick, best available with our compo pick. Then probably a back with the 2nd round pick and best available for the rest.

Personally I really rate Chad Wingard and would love him to have a quiet champs and be available when we pick. This kid will be a special player and if he was available to hell with the talls take him.

For the most part though I think that this year if you are tossing up between two players one tall and one short you take the tall.

We do need to start looking at some backs, but our need for forwards is more pressing. I'd like to see a genuine forward with the first pick, best available with our compo pick. Then probably a back with the 2nd round pick and best available for the rest.

Why not go for two forwards? If one fails, you know the old saying, " a good backman is usually a failed forward".

defitnetly need another polec or someone pretty damn quick and of course a really good crumber

still slower than a wet week i.m.o

(Log in to remove this ad.)

defitnetly need another polec or someone pretty damn quick and of course a really good crumber

I think talls are a more pressing need given how long they take to develop (except bloody Darling). One would hope at least one, if not two of Green, Bartlett and Harvey comes through to add some pace to the seniors. It is also more likely that a young quick small can be drafted for immediate (or at least faster) impact down the line if need be.

I tend to agree. Collingwood have shown that a smaller / faster / fitter side in general is the way football is heading. Obviously they still have a few talls - Jolly, Cloke, Dawes, Tarrant. But I think the future of footy is heading towards having a smaller side in general, in keeping with the fast nature & incredibly physically demanding style of footy played these days.

Well, we need forward, mids, and backs...thank god for the combo pick. But it is starting to piss me off with the result from last years draft. We had enough picks inside 31 too pick up any sliders and we ****in passed on darling and harper!..not ****in good enough!

I tend to agree. Collingwood have shown that a smaller / faster / fitter side in general is the way football is heading. Obviously they still have a few talls - Jolly, Cloke, Dawes, Tarrant. But I think the future of footy is heading towards having a smaller side in general, in keeping with the fast nature & incredibly physically demanding style of footy played these days.

Gee that was an unfortunately very timely post.

Watching the game at the ground tonight, it was extremely clear that we were absolutely smashed by Richmond's speed, the one thing I feared all week.

So many of our players looked slow - even our young ones.

Well, we need forward, mids, and backs...thank god for the combo pick. But it is starting to piss me off with the result from last years draft. We had enough picks inside 31 too pick up any sliders and we ****in passed on darling and harper!..not ****in good enough!

Not to mention Heppel, who is already ahead of a number of our players in our 22 tonight...namely Collier, Stiller and 1 or 2 others.

Well not to be undramatic or anything, but maybe six rounds is not a particularly long time to be judging drafted players?

Drafting is done for 3-4 years down the track. **** me if you aren't one of the most reactionary posters on here. Those players would not be making the difference now.

We still need to draft the best available midfielder at our First pick. We got smashed last night in the midfield again with our only good player in there Black who is retiring soon! I would love to see us get a solid clearance mid and a speedy mid with good foot skills. I would also like to see us trade for a second First Round pick so we can draft two good mids:thumbsu:

So you are saying it was a mistake to take Polec instead of Heppell?.

Not necessarily, will reserve judgement for 3-4 years before making that call...it was more a jibe that such a young player with 5 games under his belt already looks more composed at AFL level than a number of our boys.

Drafting is done for 3-4 years down the track. **** me if you aren't one of the most reactionary posters on here. Those players would not be making the difference now.
Reactionary poster??? The draft was done last year mate, and there have been question marks about the lions decision to pass on darling and harper. You say drafting is done for 3-4 years down the track...spot on. Guess what mate? We need another strong contested marking forward for the post brown era. I have been watching darling and cant help but feel we missed the boat with a chance to get a player like darling learning his craft under brown. If that makes me reactionary, then so be it. But you obviously down read all my posts.

I guess in the coming years the recruiting staff are confident in landing a couple of quality forwards...lets hope so after a obvious missed chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back