NSW scholarship holders

Remove this Banner Ad

stevebull

Senior List
Jan 27, 2010
Bronte Beach
AFL Club
Carlton
I just posted a thread on James Brain Brisbane scholarship holder on the draft watch board.

Was wondering if any one else has any idea how many may be going & how blokes picked up last year such as young & johnson have gone this year.

As stated think lions should give Brain a crack apparrently he has gone well in QAFL & named in best for Nth Shore in loosing elim final on w/e, don't know if he can play 18's think they are still active. Newell apparently already up in Qld, Ive only seen him play a couple of times.

Blue boy Bray has gone ok when I've seen him play, kicked 3 in a winning Wests team on the w/e from reports on website & details in the smh in qualifying final against last years prem's,pianta appears stuck in the 18's don't rate his chances Cats Dimmery named in best for loosing side was named in cats vfl side last week, black finished the year with solid form for wollongong named in best a couple of weeks running (though you would want to be playing for the gong, but good effort for a 16 yr old), wales has been injured most of the year & I don't know much about their other bloke.

Saints Ferguson named best for penno & kicked a goal st's have kane murphy as well, wonder if they'd take both, I 'd go with ferguson though murphy has a good footy brain from what i've seen & heard though on the small side.

Webster (bombers) solid must be some chance, cole don't know where he is at.

Stubbs (Hawks) out injured but rated highly by all who have seen, don't know about mahoney or kickett seen them a couple of times for gws wasn't overly impressed though kickett looks to have more upside for me, apparently have played box hill 2's. langford haven't seen him play much but is an athlete, think hawks may go stubbs & langford.

Lloyd appears to have dropped away.

Do north have one of theirs down playing in vfl.

perry from the pies not much hope i wouldn't think, young is a super footballer though.

Has anybody seen these blokes at vfl level at national champs, in local footy, TAC cup games in Melb for GWS etc.

Will be interested to see how many get picked up by their scholarship club or gws or as late draft picks by other clubs, what would be a decent converstion to deem the scheme a success.

Barely any teams have put much effort in the NSW scholarship program besides Hawthorn and Collingwood, most the other teams will pick 1 of there 4 the one thats been the standout.

But the Hawks will most likely take all 4 with Langford going father-son and Kickett, Mahoney and Stubbs will all be taken.

I have also heard Collingwood have some fairly talented players in the program?

Barely any teams have put much effort in the NSW scholarship program besides Hawthorn and Collingwood, most the other teams will pick 1 of there 4 the one thats been the standout.

But the Hawks will most likely take all 4 with Langford going father-son and Kickett, Mahoney and Stubbs will all be taken.

Other than young & perry can't recall much about other pies scholo's.

Big call for the hawks to pick up all 4 considering they picked up johnston last year.

They may take 3 Langford father- son, Stubbs & 1 of the others. Good luck to them all but would be surprised if all 4 got picked up.

Pies brought a 17y.o. down to Melbourne this year, he played all season in the VFL and is guaranteed to be either a rookie or senior listed player next year.

It's a good initiative as playing a season of VFL at 17 is a lot better than the local Sydney comp.

Pies have a couple of others eligible to be drafted this year but not sure how they are going in the Sydney comps.

Pies brought a 17y.o. down to Melbourne this year, he played all season in the VFL and is guaranteed to be either a rookie or senior listed player next year.

It's a good initiative as playing a season of VFL at 17 is a lot better than the local Sydney comp.

Pies have a couple of others eligible to be drafted this year but not sure how they are going in the Sydney comps.

That would be Tom Young very good footballer won the local Sydney rising star last year.

How did he go?

That would be Tom Young very good footballer won the local Sydney rising star last year.

How did he go?
Showed strong signs all year, despite being the youngest player in the VFL by a considerable margin.

Definitely has talent - A Chad Cornes type. Reads the play well, uses it well, good mark.

Any news on what the Hawks may be doing with their scholorship blokes? What is the situation with Langford will they f - s? What happened with Stubbs injured but I thought he moved down likr young?

Haven't seen Bray (Blues) get much of a mention, was ok in a loosing side the last game I watched play up here during finals. I think he has some up side & hope the blues give him a crack. Pianta played in loosing 18's GF side for ece, think he only cracked it for a couple of first games though they won back to back flags don't think he'll get picked up. If hawks don't take stubbs he could be worth a punt for blues, was part of AIS trip to Sth Africa 09.

Ferguson (st's) played pretty well for penno late in the season I hear moves well for a big bloke in the games I've seen him play have heard some mention decision making as something needing work, was hard to tell in gws games I watched as plenty of them made poor decisions, not sure about murphy.

Watched Sydney GF and Dimmery (Cats) played very well for ece 2nd senior flag before 18 you would think he'd be a show, wales out for most of the year would struggle I'd say.

Brain (lions) same as Stubbs if lions don't take him hope blues at least get him to train with us, I rate this bloke, small but hard & smart. Newell no idea.

Young (pies) a cert' I woulsd say, perry played in an 18's flag for uni big bloke may be some chance. Hartley young chance next year, yakimov not sure.

Webster (bombers) think they'll rookie him, cole not sure like what I have seen when fit but not fit enough this year may cost him.

Brown (eagles) wouldn't think he will get picked up playe din a pretty poor team but by all reports doesn't do enough.

Guthrie (swans) have seen him a couple of times over the last couple of years but wouldn't imagine him being kept on, same with lewis though by all reports potter is worth look.

So with young gone to pies as a blue boy I think I would be happy if Bray scapps in on the rookie list but would rather have Brain,dimery or stubbs out of the scholoship players I have seen.

Hawks most likely wont pick all 4 but 100% hawks will pick up Mahoney and Langford.

One of Stubbs or Kickett will be picked up dont know which one Stubbs was highly rated before his knee injury, hopefully it will be Stubbs looks to be a solid tough player for the future while Kickett looks a talent but with Breust, Rioli, Peterson and maybe Hill or Hooper not much room for a guy who looks to be to similar to those players.

I believe we've signed a little 15 year old gem called Elijah Edwards :)

elijah_2.jpg

Sydney are the other team that have put in effort and money, but other than that you're right. It's those three teams that stand to benefit from the program.

absolute gun. He has pace on him like Cyril Rioli.

Of Topic... I got offered to try out for one by the Swans the other day, which I declined. It caught me off guard :confused:

What??!!! You declined? My jolly goodness!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie (swans) have seen him a couple of times over the last couple of years but wouldn't imagine him being kept on, same with lewis though by all reports potter is worth look.

I think Lewis is the only Swans' scholarship holder eligible this year and I very much doubt he will get a spot. Potter is one year away from draft age and Guthrie is at least one year away.

The standout from Carlton's batch is (or has been) definitely Bray. But i'm not about to start spruiking about him as I'm not that familiar with him. There are one or two Carlton posters that know far more.

Found this thread from the Carlton board about him.

I've read that a few have been playing seniors with some in the local league.

Q: Would it be better (and would they be allowed) for some of these boys to be playing in the TAC cup ala Dangerfield instead of senior footy? I know some won't want to move away from home at their young age but for the ones that are coming to Melbourne, it seems like a better option to me.

Just my opinion though.

I think it's a good program though, hopefully the Blues can find a gem somewhere along the way. My fingers are crossed it's Bray as he sounds like a great prospect physically :thumbsu:

We have Craig Moller a 15 year old 205cm ruckman. Was in the best 2-3 players for NSW in the U16's every game in the national champs this year finishing as the MVP for NSW. Huge talent - literally!

Could end up as big as 211!

We have Craig Moller a 15 year old 205cm ruckman. Was in the best 2-3 players for NSW in the U16's every game in the national champs this year finishing as the MVP for NSW. Huge talent - literally!

Could end up as big as 211!

You must be crazy, no 211cm man could play the ruck role properly! ;)

I always liked Moller, hope he works out well for you guys.

Is Josh Duncan still on the Saints scholarship list thingo? He is a gun!! Also a guy at my local footy club may be getting a scholarship with Freo. A couple of there scouts came out to see him late in the season. The guy plays 1st seniors and he's 16 which is pretty good.

I'm almost certain Tom Young will go straight onto Collingwood's list with one of the last picks in the national draft. In fact I think, given what he's shown as an underage player and what he projects as, that he's a good chance to get a game in the seniors next year. Seems to be a Goddard type that can play just about anywhere and has good all round skills.

Is Josh Duncan still on the Saints scholarship list thingo? He is a gun!! Also a guy at my local footy club may be getting a scholarship with Freo. A couple of there scouts came out to see him late in the season. The guy plays 1st seniors and he's 16 which is pretty good.
Josh Duncan was ditched, didn't make it
and um, yeah, you do know you can't sign anymore scholarships?

ps - 1st seniors in NSW ain't much to give praise about
if it's the highest division, then they may be at the level of a SAAFL or VAFA club. Not really that impressive (even for 16 years old, I can think of 9 people who I played with in Sydney who played for Pennant Hills, North Shore or Balmain as 16 year olds, as well as knowing of at least another 2 at East Coast)

Josh Duncan was ditched, didn't make it
and um, yeah, you do know you can't sign anymore scholarships?

ps - 1st seniors in NSW ain't much to give praise about
if it's the highest division, then they may be at the level of a SAAFL or VAFA club. Not really that impressive (even for 16 years old, I can think of 9 people who I played with in Sydney who played for Pennant Hills, North Shore or Balmain as 16 year olds, as well as knowing of at least another 2 at East Coast)

tough luck for him. since when weren't they allowed to?

tough luck for him. since when weren't they allowed to?
Can't recall if last year was the first they wern't allow to sign new people, or the last year they could

It's to allow the young talent to get a shortcut into GWS, and try to become a community based team

btw: If you read my previous post in a bad tone, sorry, I'm in a shitty mood atm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back