Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Hey my dad is wanting to write a book on Tasmanian Football grounds past and present, and information on the clubs that played there. If anyone knows of any info or photos on a certain ground and the club that plays/did play there it would be much appreciated.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Thanks for that and the permission. Have seen the Rossarden ones before when you posted them up years ago but obviously havent seen the other ones so thanks again :)

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
i got the book for u Beyond the big Sticks have u heard bout it Its got everything you need

Yeah I have borroed it a few times from the state library. Is a good book got quite a bit of info especially on the queenstown, derby, and woodsdale grounds I think. Will check it out when I get a chance in September holidays, thank for reminding me :)

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Boyer Oval at New Norfolk was built by Australian Newsprint Mills Limited (ANM) in 1945 and was built with a huge amount of technical input from experts from the VFL (now AFL).
It was built to the same size as the MCG and was intended to be used for football, soccer, cricket, cycling and athletics with a view to expansion in future years when needed.
Boyer also hosted boxing events, community concerts and the like for many years and was an extremely well utilised venue for many years.
The main grandstand (L.W.Hepper Stand) was built in the early 1960's and the old change-sheds, which looked like they came from one of the Hydro villages up in the Highlands were installed when the ground was built and were finally replaced at the end of 1997 with a new facility that remains there today.
New Norfolk played their first match there in 1946 in the SDFA, prior to that they played at Lachlan Park in the grounds of the old Royal Derwent Hospital.
They started in the TFL in 1947 and played all their home games at Boyer Oval.
The New Norfolk Clubrooms on Back River Road were opened in 1972.

Queenborough Oval at Sandy Bay was the former site of the Queenborough Regional Cemetary.
The site, which ran from the edge of Sandy Bay Road right up to the top of Churchill Avenue was purchased by two Sandy Bay businessmen, Thomas Luckman and Stephen Large, for ₤280 in 1873 to give the residents in the municipality a place to bury their deceased away from their homes.
Luckman & Large founded the Queenborough Cemetary Company but by 1913 the cemetary was in poor condition and the QCC had gone broke and it remained so until late 1915 when the Hobart City Council purchased two plots of land through an Act of Parliament and in 1916 began building sports grounds on the sites of what is now Lower Queenborough and Queenborough Oval's.
Queenborough was home to the former Sandy Bay Rovers FC until they went out of business prior to WW2.
Sandy Bay District Football Club (the Seagulls) were founded in late 1944 and made Queenborough its home from 1945 onwards.
The ground was terraced and the Main Grandstand and changerooms built in 1965.
The Bay left Queenborough in 1982 to play games at North Hobart, and remained there until they played five games at Queenborough in 1985, returning full time in 1986. They were to come and go from Queenborough several times until their demise in 1997.
Today, Hutchins OBFC plays their matches there as well as the South Hobart/Sandy Bay Cricket Club.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Cheers for that Kingpin that will help greatly. :)

Just with New Norfolk clubs playing at Lachlan Park before 1946.

Going by this book from school I got The Derwent Valley from Federation to Millennium the club ground in New norfolk was actually at some place called ""Irish Annes"" in Blair st between Kensington and Dean st. Just down from where the High school is now. I dont know which one would be correct, will have to research in the holidays.

Also do you have any idea where Upper Derwent FC played. I would say it was at Ouse but you never know.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Actually yes you were correct with the Lachlan park being the home of the NNFC. They in the early early years played at arthur square, Irish Annes near the High school and an area that is now a part of the fairview housing estate.

markie

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
man U
Cheers for that Kingpin that will help greatly. :)

Just with New Norfolk clubs playing at Lachlan Park before 1946.

Going by this book from school I got The Derwent Valley from Federation to Millennium the club ground in New norfolk was actually at some place called ""Irish Annes"" in Blair st between Kensington and Dean st. Just down from where the High school is now. I dont know which one would be correct, will have to research in the holidays.

Also do you have any idea where Upper Derwent FC played. I would say it was at Ouse but you never know.
Upper Derwent played at the Gretna Cricket Ground until approx' 1986. North Derwent were a club formed in the 70's that played at Hamilton show grounds.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Cheers for that info. Starting to get the Derwent Valley/Centeral Highlands grounds together.

Would you have any idea where Lachlan played aswell. By chance on Google Earth street view I found they played at that racecourse up the back of New Norfolk but was wondering if you knew if they played in the actual town of Lachlan at any stage.

markie

Club Legend
Aug 20, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
man U
Cheers for that info. Starting to get the Derwent Valley/Centeral Highlands grounds together.

Would you have any idea where Lachlan played aswell. By chance on Google Earth street view I found they played at that racecourse up the back of New Norfolk but was wondering if you knew if they played in the actual town of Lachlan at any stage.
sorry, dont know for sure, but dont think so. Do know the ground inside the racetrack behind the highschool is named Kensington Park and Lachlan finished there and were there for some time. Also think they played, at some stage of there history, at the ground inside the Royal Derwent Hospital grounds.Dont know what they called it though.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Cheers. Oval in the RDH was Lachlan Park Oval or something. Do you know where the oval actually is/was if it isn't there any more. Only place I can think of is off George st near Willow Court.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Lachlan were playing at Kensington Park (the racecourse) when they were in the SFL in 1996-1997, not sure for how long they'd been based there before that though.
I had a mate of mine that had just got out of Risdon that signed up and played with them in their last season before they folded.
Lachlan Park Oval is inside the grounds of the old Royal Derwent Hospital in New Norfolk, New Norfolk played there before they moved to Boyer in 1946, the ground was still used for some TANFL 3rds and 4ths matches even in the 1980's.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Thanks for the info Kingpin. Will be going to the state library next week to find some info on more grounds.

Planning to do the central higlands next. Like learning about all those areas up to Queenstown actually, amazing finding out all these clubs existed in and now theres only one (New Norfolk in all the derwent valley and centeral highlands, unless you include the central hawks)

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
The ground at Oatlands was given to the club by some old rich farmer who died and he left them shitloads in his will and so the oval was developed.
From the late 1970's onwards it became the grand final venue for the ODFA.

Anzac Park over at Lindisfarne was a parcel of land left to the community by an old woman who passed away and who wanted it kept as an open field for community sport in the suburb.
That's why there's no fences around the perimeter and it looks like such an out of place sports ground.

Sorell have played at about three different grounds.
Up until about 15 years ago they were playing at the oval near the Sorell RSL, but some of the boys used to get on the piss after the matches and were causing a few problems for the local residents right behind the oval, lobbing their empties over into neighbouring properties, rowdy behaviour etc.
Council kicked them off there and put them at Pembroke Park instead.
Worst ground I've seen.

moocher82

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2008
tassie
AFL Club
Geelong
Boyer Oval at New Norfolk was built by Australian Newsprint Mills Limited (ANM) in 1945 and was built with a huge amount of technical input from experts from the VFL (now AFL).
It was built to the same size as the MCG and was intended to be used for football, soccer, cricket, cycling and athletics with a view to expansion in future years when needed.
Boyer also hosted boxing events, community concerts and the like for many years and was an extremely well utilised venue for many years.
The main grandstand (L.W.Hepper Stand) was built in the early 1960's and the old change-sheds, which looked like they came from one of the Hydro villages up in the Highlands were installed when the ground was built and were finally replaced at the end of 1997 with a new facility that remains there today.
New Norfolk played their first match there in 1946 in the SDFA, prior to that they played at Lachlan Park in the grounds of the old Royal Derwent Hospital.
They started in the TFL in 1947 and played all their home games at Boyer Oval.
The New Norfolk Clubrooms on Back River Road were opened in 1972.

Queenborough Oval at Sandy Bay was the former site of the Queenborough Regional Cemetary.
The site, which ran from the edge of Sandy Bay Road right up to the top of Churchill Avenue was purchased by two Sandy Bay businessmen, Thomas Luckman and Stephen Large, for ₤280 in 1873 to give the residents in the municipality a place to bury their deceased away from their homes.
Luckman & Large founded the Queenborough Cemetary Company but by 1913 the cemetary was in poor condition and the QCC had gone broke and it remained so until late 1915 when the Hobart City Council purchased two plots of land through an Act of Parliament and in 1916 began building sports grounds on the sites of what is now Lower Queenborough and Queenborough Oval's.
Queenborough was home to the former Sandy Bay Rovers FC until they went out of business prior to WW2.
Sandy Bay District Football Club (the Seagulls) were founded in late 1944 and made Queenborough its home from 1945 onwards.
The ground was terraced and the Main Grandstand and changerooms built in 1965.
The Bay left Queenborough in 1982 to play games at North Hobart, and remained there until they played five games at Queenborough in 1985, returning full time in 1986. They were to come and go from Queenborough several times until their demise in 1997.
Today, Hutchins OBFC plays their matches there as well as the South Hobart/Sandy Bay Cricket Club.
Always wondered why it was so big and could not catch Direen running up and down the far wing-a pity the showers and visitors changreooms were not up to MCG standard as well:rolleyes:

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
The ground at Oatlands was given to the club by some old rich farmer who died and he left them shitloads in his will and so the oval was developed.
From the late 1970's onwards it became the grand final venue for the ODFA.

Anzac Park over at Lindisfarne was a parcel of land left to the community by an old woman who passed away and who wanted it kept as an open field for community sport in the suburb.
That's why there's no fences around the perimeter and it looks like such an out of place sports ground.

Sorell have played at about three different grounds.
Up until about 15 years ago they were playing at the oval near the Sorell RSL, but some of the boys used to get on the piss after the matches and were causing a few problems for the local residents right behind the oval, lobbing their empties over into neighbouring properties, rowdy behaviour etc.
Council kicked them off there and put them at Pembroke Park instead.
Worst ground I've seen.

Thanks again for the info. :)

The Sorell website seems to have alot of good info on the grounds they played at including some pics.

http://www.sorellfootballclub.com/history.html

Yeah they actualy played at the site of Pembroke park back when it was a racecourse, but it was destroyed in the 67 bush fires.

Theres was also a ground at some point across the road from the Nugent turnoff.

Have been to the Oatlands rec ground on the way up to the qualifying final at Devonport this year. Good ground when you compare it to the old Parttah and Tunbridge grounds me and my dad stopped at before and after.

Exept for having no fences around the ground and having a dodgy scoreboard the ground ANZAC park isn't really that bad a ground imo. Nice place to play cricket in the summer.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks again for the info. :)

The Sorell website seems to have alot of good info on the grounds they played at including some pics.

http://www.sorellfootballclub.com/history.html

Yeah they actualy played at the site of Pembroke park back when it was a racecourse, but it was destroyed in the 67 bush fires.

Theres was also a ground at some point across the road from the Nugent turnoff.

Have been to the Oatlands rec ground on the way up to the qualifying final at Devonport this year. Good ground when you compare it to the old Parttah and Tunbridge grounds me and my dad stopped at before and after.

Exept for having no fences around the ground and having a dodgy scoreboard the ground ANZAC park isn't really that bad a ground imo. Nice place to play cricket in the summer.

Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that before. :thumbsu:
The old Tunbridge ground was right behind the pub up there, my pop reckoned he played on it sometime after the war.
Abbotsfield Park at Claremont was an orchard up until when it became a footy ground in 1970 or 1971.
Before that the 'Mont played out at Cadbury's Oval, same place where DOSA played a couple of years ago before they went to North Hobart and I think one other ground as well, I'll have to check.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Claremont played where that soccer ground and guides hall is now over the road from Claremont village I've found.

DOSA didn't go anywhere else besides Cadburys before moving to NHO as far as I know. Guy at my schools dad plays for Richmond so I could ask him about it.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Claremont played where that soccer ground and guides hall is now over the road from Claremont village I've found.

DOSA didn't go anywhere else besides Cadburys before moving to NHO as far as I know. Guy at my schools dad plays for Richmond so I could ask him about it.

Yep that's the one :thumbsu: Right across from the bottle shop :p

DOSA started playing up at the oval at Dominic College up in Tolosa Street until they got the boot by the school a few years back and went to Cadbury's.
Shocking facilities at Cadbury's was the reason they made a huge play to move to North Hobart and are now playing there.
Friends' used to play out at Bell Street up behind the hockey centre, I played on that ground a few times, it was a lumpy old thing it was.
They also got booted off it by the school several years back (Friends' School no longer recognised Australian Rules in their sporting program and wanted to turn the ground into soccer pitches) and ended up moving to North Hobart before they folded five years ago.
Those two in particular were sad cases of schools in which they represented (as past students) no longer wanting anything to do with them.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
DOSA started playing up at the oval at Dominic College up in Tolosa Street until they got the boot by the school a few years back and went to Cadbury's.
Shocking facilities at Cadbury's was the reason they made a huge play to move to North Hobart and are now playing there.
Friends' used to play out at Bell Street up behind the hockey centre, I played on that ground a few times, it was a lumpy old thing it was.
They also got booted off it by the school several years back (Friends' School no longer recognised Australian Rules in their sporting program and wanted to turn the ground into soccer pitches) and ended up moving to North Hobart before they folded five years ago.
Those two in particular were sad cases of schools in which they represented (as past students) no longer wanting anything to do with them

I agree its quite sad that schools like friends in what is supposed to be a football heartland do not have anything to do with the sport.

What makes it worse is that Friends run the Southern (and mabey whole state) independant schools sports organization (All the catholics plus Hutchins, Collegiate, Fahan and Friends. And it seems this ignornace of football is put into the organization as they seem to never create football rosters exept for the state matric one (my school ends up having to make a roster with us SHC, SVC, Newtown, Dominic, and Mackillop). Football needs to be more focused around schools I think rather than the junior club system. I mean look at soccer, league teams are school based and they have hundreds of participants. Its always easier to start a sport with your school friends then go to a club where you might not know anyone.

Back on to topic though. Kingpin would you have any idea if St Virgils played at that oval next to the main road at Austins Ferry before they moved to Newtown Oval. And also would you know where Hutchins played before they moved over to Queenborough.

Kingpin

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Norchy_pies4life said:
I agree its quite sad that schools like friends in what is supposed to be a football heartland do not have anything to do with the sport.

What makes it worse is that Friends run the Southern (and mabey whole state) independant schools sports organization (All the catholics plus Hutchins, Collegiate, Fahan and Friends. And it seems this ignornace of football is put into the organization as they seem to never create football rosters exept for the state matric one (my school ends up having to make a roster with us SHC, SVC, Newtown, Dominic, and Mackillop). Football needs to be more focused around schools I think rather than the junior club system. I mean look at soccer, league teams are school based and they have hundreds of participants. Its always easier to start a sport with your school friends then go to a club where you might not know anyone.
Football was much, much better when it was in the schools.
Too much of this namby pamby Auskick nowdays.
Thing is, it all got a bit messed up with the CRESAP Report thing in the 90's when SVC and Dominic dropped their year 11 and 12's which ended up as Guilford Young College, my year was one of the last to go through SVC to Year 12, I think it went two or three years after we left.
The traditional set up was St Mary's College junior school co-ed (Prep, G1, G2), St Peter's Schools (G3, G4, G5, G6) and then onto St Virgil's College (G7, G8, G9, G10, G11, G12), SMC didn't have a footy program (it was all-girl's college post year-2) but certainly the Pete's and SVC did - I had a run in a few teams.

Norchy_pies4life said:
Back on to topic though. Kingpin would you have any idea if St Virgils played at that oval next to the main road at Austins Ferry before they moved to Newtown Oval. And also would you know where Hutchins played before they moved over to Queenborough.
Not sure where they played in all honesty.
I do know that the Austin's Ferry Campus of SVC opened for the start of the 1962 school year and that's when the oval was built, have played on it myself.
There was a lot of school football played on that ground but I'm not sure if the Old Scholars team played out there.
I think they may have played games at the TCA Ground for awhile.
Hutchins' played just up the road from Queenborough on the opposite side of the street, there was a ground there.
They moved only in the 90's I believe, I know I read it when I was doing the TFL stuff and I can remember looking down into the ground when we parked the car on the street to go and watch games at Queenborough, the Hutchins' School site that's up the top of Nelson Road there today was built in 1961.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
I do know that the Austin's Ferry Campus of SVC opened for the start of the 1962 school year and that's when the oval was built, have played on it myself.
There was a lot of school football played on that ground but I'm not sure if the Old Scholars team played out there.

Yeah I wasn't really sure. I mean when I played cricket there last year there was what looked like a club rooms building in the pocket on the river side of the ground. For all I know years and years ago they could of played at the old SVC now Hobart GYC campus before they turned it into a soccer ground (was made into a junior ground in the 70s my dad played there. My dad thinks he might of played against them when he was playing thirds for Claremont in the mid-late 80s but can't remember where they played.

Hutchins' played just up the road from Queenborough on the opposite side of the street, there was a ground there.
They moved only in the 90's I believe, I know I read it when I was doing the TFL stuff and I can remember looking down into the ground when we parked the car on the street to go and watch games at Queenborough, the Hutchins' School site that's up the top of Nelson Road there today was built in 1961.

Thought so seeing it has that pavillion built on wing.

GerogeBluth

Senior List
Sep 20, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
OHA, Glenorchy
They moved only in the 90's I believe, I know I read it when I was doing the TFL stuff and I can remember looking down into the ground when we parked the car on the street to go and watch games at Queenborough, the Hutchins' School site that's up the top of Nelson Road there today was built in 1961.[/quote]

1996 was the last year Hutchins played at the school oval that was my first year playing in the competition. I do remember the ground being in pretty poor nick and turning up to play one week and the ground was covered in sand!

St Virgils did play at least one year up at the TCA in the late 90's also remember talking to a few old folk about them playing at the Austins Ferry campus in the 70's and early 80's.

Norchy_pies4life

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Glenorchy DFC (TSL-SFL)
Going by the ''Australian Rules Football in Tasmania'' book that I printed a few pages off from the Glenorchy library St Virgils moved to Newtown Oval in 1995.

Back