Qld (1/2 Hour Delay)

RADIO
Vic: MMM, 3AW.
Qld: MMM, BIMA, ABC.
SA: NIL.
WA: 6PR, BIMA.
NSW: NIL.
ACT: 2CA (AFL Live).
Tas: LAFM, 7AD, 7BU, 7SD, 7XS (AFL LIVE).
NT: BIMA.

Ladder:
MelbourneBrisbane LionsLadder.gif

Season Win/Loss
MelbourneBrisbane LionsSeasonWL.gif

The Melbourne Perspective:
Originally Posted by [NAME]Supermercado[/NAME]
The Bigger The Headache, The Bigger The Pill
Greetings to our friends from the north, former Roys and ex-Bears fanatics. I’d like to confess that I have a shameful love of Dare to Beat the Bear, but sadly we’re not here to do an in-depth dissection of theme songs – maybe another time. What I have been asked here for is to preview our side of next Saturday’s nights match. Now, you join the Melbourne Football Club at a very interesting time. Two wins a row, youngsters flying with confidence, equal with the ledger after round 4 for the first time since 2005. Roll on September eh? Well, maybe not. Strength of schedule is a stat that doesn’t get nearly enough coverage in AFL, and right now ours shows that the teams we’ve beaten are a combined 0-8.

When you’ve been belted from pillar to post for three years you’ll take a battling win over a team of fading cripples and a nine goal result against the AFL’s crisis club of the week but it’s nothing to rush to TAB Sportsbet and get excited about. Having said that there’s nothing surer than some muppet having a grand on us winning the flag during this week.

I can see how the United Nations of Brisbane are unbeaten at the right end of the ladder (though tell me you’re not at least slightly worried that it could all come crashing down like a house of cards at any time), and I’ll admit to having pangs of man love every time one J. Brown comes on my television, but if you’d told me after the round one DEBACLE against Hawthorn that we’d be facing off with you only outside the eight on percentage I’d have howled you down and tipped a table over in anger. Of course only sides who have won two spoons in a row (or are about to - hello Richmond!) actually care about ladder positions after four rounds, but still we’ve come a long way since the slop served up in round one caused some (mainly me) to dive for the record books to find out where we’d sit in the line-up of teams who had ‘won’ three spoons in a row. Now we sit a Ricky Petterd fingernail away from being 3-1 and there are positives all over the shop.

But can we take the positives shown against a criminally disinterested Collingwood and the two bottom sides of the competition and translate them into a decent performance against an unbeaten side with near unlimited scoring potential? Probably not enough to win, but I’m happy enough to go along next Saturday night in the knowledge that we’ll see more things to like for the future.

Obviously the major concern is the twin towers of terror Fev and JB. Luckily when coming up against a team with attacking options out the wazoo we’ve actually got a half decent backline. We’ve copped our fair share of poundings over the last few years but I’d argue that’s more to do with getting smashed in the middle of the ground than anything else. I shudder to think what would have happened to us without the likes of Warnock, Frawley, Rivers, Garland and – before his controversial conversion to a ruckman/forward/reserves player – The Stefan Martin Experience.

The Tiges didn’t do too badly against us last week, but if you take out the shots from free-kicks, the wildly speculative bombs that came off and a handful of crumbed goals they were pretty well held. This week, though, offers something different altogether.

At least Bradshaw is gone and won’t use us as his personal punching bag this year (lest we forget him ruining Nathan Carroll’s career so spectacularly that the buffoon with the rubbish hair went from All-Australian contender to getting arrested for punching on with the cops in a WA pub in just a couple of short years), though Fev is a fair replacement for the job. God knows what, if anything, is going through that man’s head at any given time but there’s no doubt that the one thing he’s good for is kicking goals. He’s fairly handy at stitching us up as well, even if you take out the seven he got against us when the tank was in fifth gear near the end of last year he’s plundered us for 29 goals in nine other starts. Even though he’s playing second fiddle to Brown so far this season I don’t like our chances of keeping them both quiet enough to keep you to a score we can match. I’d suggest Rivers might come back in for Garland and will tag in and out on Fev duty with James Frawley.

A look at Brown’s stats show that he’s played less games against Melbourne than any other club in the competition. In fact until he kicked six against us in R15, 2007 he’d never had more than one in a game. Since then he’s gone 2, 5, 5 and is playing absolutely out of his skin this year. It could be time for him to have a big day out against us and I’d expect Warnock to get him, but at the same time I’d love to see Frawley get a crack at the job. He slaughtered Brett Burton for the last three quarters of our game against Adelaide and is rapidly emerging as the best player in our defence. Riewoldt probably just had the better of him last week but if he’s going to step up to the next level he’s going to have to take on some of the big hitters eventually. Warnock on the other hand is the kind of guy that nobody has ever heard of unless you follow us but has finished 4th and 5th in the B&F over the last couple of years. Not much competition admittedly, but it shows how dependable he is. Not bad for somebody who was seconds from being out the door until Dean Bailey showed up.

As for our forward line I don’t think you’ve got too much to be worried about. This is the side that yesterday romped to eight goals in the first quarter for the first time since Round 20, 2000 and then followed it up by kicking none in the second. Between Ricky Petterd, Matthew Bate, Brad Green and Col Sylvia there’s the stirrings of a good attack but they’re not quite there yet. Needs one big bastard in the mould of Brown/Hall/Bradshaw to go up there and lead from the front. Petterd is trying his guts out, and getting some good results, but he’s not big enough to lead the line of a top eight team. It’s not inconceivable that we could kick another decent score, but

Meanwhile in a useless stat from Ridiculous Fact Corner, we have as many Queenslanders on our list now as we have had combined in the rest of our history. You can have Brad Miller and Jake Spencer back and Joel MacDonald (you may remember him) is doing pretty well but I’m quite keen on Petterd and Rohan Bail so you and the Gold Coast can stay well away from them thanks very much.

One place I think we can at least break even is the midfield. Mark Jamar has gone from world class spud to super stud so quickly I don’t think even he knows it yet, and for the last three weeks he has almost single handedly dominated the centre. Though having said that we’re in more trouble than the early settlers if he goes down during the game because we’ve been running with some very ordinary pinch hitters as back-up. At the big Russian’s feet lie the back from the dead James McDonald and a grunt work division consisting of Brent Moloney (pending the results of the Match Review Panel spinning their suspension wheel of fortune), Nathan Jones, Cameron Bruce (don’t be fooled by Supercoach scores, he’s struggling) and Clint Bartram. Jack Grimes and Aaron Davey give much needed class off the half-back line, and Joel Mac has fit in well without setting the world alight so far. On paper we lose the in the centre, but there’s enough in that lineup – as well as the emerging top end of the draft table duo SCULLGOVE – to argue that if Jamar can get hitouts to advantage we can get the ball forward. What happens when it gets there is the issue – and that’s where we’re going to be tripped up.

With the Lions playing in Melbourne for the first time this year except ‘humorous’ comments from the crowd on the subject of Fev’s many indiscretions. Take a drink every time one of them is actually funny and you’ll be stone cold sober by the final siren while Fev will probably have a matchwinning five goals. The other angle to watch is how Travis Johnstone is received. When we traded him there were murmurings of discontent and a bit of internet anguish but you won’t hear anybody upset with the deal now that Grimes – picked with the selection traded for TJ – is absolutely tearing it to shreds off halfback. Looks like the classic win/win for me, we’ve got a ten year player and future captain, TJ gets to play in a winning team and contend for a flag and Collingwood ended up getting stooged with Cam Wood. Everyone’s a winner except the Pies, and that’s to be celebrated.

Your wildcard player of the night to watch out for is young Jordie McKenzie – he turned down an offer to join the Crows in the off-season in order to stay on our rookie list and has delivered big time. Great tackler, great competitor and probably the happiest man in the world that he didn’t choose to move to Adelaide just to play in their worst side ever.

So, the Lions to win fairly comfortably but I’d like to think we’ll at least give you some anxious moments. Brisbane by six goals.

The Brisbane Lions Perspective:
Originally Posted by [NAME]Axel.[/NAME]
This is the first “danger” game for us this year and our only game at the MCG. Melbourne is playing great footy right now coming off two good wins against Adelaide and Richmond and almost getting over the line against Collingwood. While we’ve also had a great start to the year with four wins out of four games beating teams like West Coast, Carlton, Port and Bulldogs. We still haven’t played anywhere near our best footy which is “technically” a good thing. We should also have a full squad for this game with the likes of McGrath, Clark and possibly Black coming back.

Players to watch.

Todd Banfield.

Before the NAB cup matches started none of us would have thought he would have been in our 22 but now look at him. He might be the answer to our small forward problems. Fast, talented and great around goal. Might be a smokey for this years rising star award.

[YOUTUBE]394_URAqb8k[/YOUTUBE]

Brendan Fevola.

The Fevaulsion has been excellent so far for us with his defensive pressure on the ball, his marking and the way he can turn the game around in one quarter. He has chipped in with 13 goals for us but hasn’t kicked a bag yet and this might be the game. Gary Lyon also said “he’s in career best form” and how can you argue with him!

[YOUTUBE]7UYgIdphALE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Tom Rockliff.

Yet another young upcoming player from the 08 draft who looks like he’ll be a very good player for us. Picked up in the pre season draft, he dominated the reserves last year and made his debut. This year he has taken his game to another level averaging about 25 touches per game in the NAB matches and he is currently averaging 21.5 disposals from his two games this year.

[youtube]fBNv1yH6n4U[/youtube]

Where will the game be won?

Forward line. I have no clue who Merrett and Maguire will go on. Melbourne have a very unpredictable forward line. They don’t really have any tall forwards playing at the moment but they have many small/medium size forwards who are can be very damaging like Pettard, Green, Sylvia and Bate. If we can keep them quiet we’ll win the game.

While it’s the complete opposite at the other end of the ground. The twin towers will probably dominate this game against Melbournes young defense. But we’ll still need a few solid contributors other than Fevola and Brown to put goals on the scoreboard.

Prediction.

Really depends on the umpires and if we kick straight or not. I’ll go Lions by 30 points. GGGGOOOO LLLLLIIIIOOOONNNNSSSS!!![/QUOTE]

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Nice work fellas:thumbsu:

I particularly liked this bit:

"Looks like the classic win/win for me, we’ve got a ten year player and future captain, TJ gets to play in a winning team and contend for a flag and Collingwood ended up getting stooged with Cam Wood. Everyone’s a winner except the Pies, and that’s to be celebrated."

:D

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Awsome previews fellas really enjoyed the read. A special congrats to fello Brisbane poster Axel on your first and very creative preview.

My prediction Lions by 38, it will be close for the first 3 but we will kick away in th last(I hope).

Good preview gents. One thing Axel..

Gary Lyon also said “he’s in career best form” and how can you argue with him!

He said on TFS that Adelaide were the only team capable of shaking up St KFC/Geel/Doggies ;)

acuguy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 31, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great preview fellas!!!

We need to exert a real physical presence in this game early. I really hope Vossy gives this game a finals like preparation, just to make sure complacency doesn't slip in.

First of all i would love to see us physically get stuck into Jordie McKenzie, he has been a massive shining light for the dees.

Scully and Trengrove need to be buried into the turf at every opportunity.

Anyone remember Vossy breaking J.Corey's collarbone with a bone crunching tackle. One of the playing group should get a copy of that tackle and show it to the group. That is the ruthlesness we need to get into our group.

McGrath should take Bail- been very important for the Dees

McDonald will probably go to Rischitelli this week. Risky has put his hand up to be one of our best mids and i think this week might the first week he has a tag.

Lions by 45

Ray Button

All Australian
Oct 15, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Voss, today, on the Lions & AFL websites:

I think all of the players that played on the weekend did enough to be able to warrant their spot back, and then it comes down to what you need,” Voss said.

“It could be the fact that we feel like the 22 did such a great job that they deserve another go."

This is the kind of thing he says before making five changes to the team . . .

Sylvia is a huge danger man. Comes back in off a broken jaw, instantly gets a mountain of the pill and kicks 5 goals.
Patfull the clear option to take him. Confident in his ability to stop him too. He did a fantastic job on Murphy last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monday previews – well done All. :thumbsu:

United Nations of Brisbane – nice call Supermercado and much preferred to the ‘foreign legion’ quoted by some… and the crashing ‘house of cards’… interesting, I see your Ricky Petterd fingernail and raise you with a Fevola boot and Barassi’s ‘10 year rule’ drafting Wade, Davis and Rantall. 2 years to play in the GF and 3 to win it – ponder that -- but I digress.

Yeah I expect/accept there will be non-humorous taunts from the crowd – the doggies came up with beer pouring. Your mob, from the other side of the river with a degree in mathematical science and inability to refer to players by name but by number, will no doubt call out to Fev with a “Hey… square root of 25 – bet you kept one photo”… send in the needle and thread. ;)

Yep, Grimes is a bewdy but your other backs of Frawley and Warnock are IMO just better than serviceable against most but currently, not yet against Brown and Fev – with this being our only H&A game at the ‘G’ this season the Lions players will be wanting to engrave “I can play well at the G” on their CV’s.

The Lions for me, no margin as I expect word to spread at both the ¾ time huddles that Weevil has already brought out ‘the lady’.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Loved your slant on things supermercado..excellent reviews guys, as usual..

This game worries me, Melbourne are playing some great footy at long last..then again, they have often played great footy against us:(..

...but fellow Lions, you all know by now that ALL games worry this ol' MM:eek:;)..

paulige

Club Legend
Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I am led to believe that should we win this Saturday, it will be the first time we've ever been 5-0 after round 5. Ever.:thumbsu:

Our current best start was in 2002, when we were 4-0, and succumbed to (you could probably guess if you didn't know) West Coast in Round 5, by 46 points.

All the more reason to come out hard this week!

At the start of the season, you'd probably chalk this one up as a win. I still think that is the case, as despite sitting 2-2, Melbourne have only beaten the two winless teams. That said, aside from an abysmal round 1 performance, they haven't really had a bad game yet.

I'm thinking the twins towers will combine for 11, and Mcgrath slotting back into our already very strong defence, will make it very difficult for them to post a winning score.

Jamar has been very good particularly with his tap work, so it's important Luey/Clark both get on top of him, and do the usual work around the ground.

TBH I have no idea who McKenzie is, but from what's being said we should keep him quiet. Shut-down Davey, as well, and we're home.

We cannot afford to let this one slip, and given I really think we're better in every area of the ground, we won't.

Lions by 39.

(It won't happen... but in the highly unlikely event we show up with the mentality we had in 2008, Melbourne by 39.;))

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
TBH I have no idea who McKenzie is, but from what's being said we should keep him quiet. Shut-down Davey, as well, and we're home.

He's a freaking tackling machine. Leads the competition with 35 and he's only played seven games in his careeer. Wouldn't get too excited about having to shut him down from your perspective, because he's not a massive attacking option but he's definately another gem we've snared off the rookie list.

I'm really looking forward to Saturday night. Like I said above I don't expect to win, but I want to see if we've learnt anything from belting the dregs (now that we're hopefully sneaking out of the dreg division) that can be used against a quality side.

Nuggo

Club Legend
Aug 24, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Based on the doggies game we should win this. Our midfield and rolling defensive zones are the keys. All we have to do is keep our foot on their throat and kick straight.

On a side note: Jamar has been in ok form so the ruck dual will be good.

lionroar

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2009
A Lone Lion @ my work
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Detroit Tigers
If you see two 30 yo's cheering loudly whilst two pensioners sit quietly next to them, that will be the wife and i with my parents. We are all mad Lions (Bears) supporters.

First game in Melbourne: FINALLY!!!!!

We all remember 2008 and the devastation of that lost.
Monday at work after that game was hell, but i digress.

Hopefully Blacky stays home with a PS3, whilst the lads enjoy their first foray onto the might MCG.

Won't be a well attended game, but the curious neutrals wanting to see the Twin Terrors in-person will hopefully fill the stands some more..

Mar 23, 2007
Koh Phangan
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good preview guys. Easy to say we should win this one, but it's these types of games that can go pear shaped... having covered that base, it'll be the Lions fire power that'll cause a young demons outfit a fair bit of trouble I'm hoping. I think we will win clinically, not letting the foot off the throat like against Port to run out 58 point winners. Either that or we'll give them 7 junk time goals to win by 17 points. Go Lions.

DemonLord

Senior List
Mar 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You guys along with the Saints and Geelong are obviously the benchmarks at this early stage of the season.

I would of loved to have a few more forward options available - LJ for his X factor and the fact he takes a good defender to mind and Aussie to give you some deja vu from 2008.

All in all I think you will win and win comfortably but I would not be suprised if it was closer than some people think.

Here is hoping the new improved Dees and not the round 1 fakes turn up to make a good match of it. And I'm sure win lose or draw our young brigade will learn a lot which can only stand us in good stead in the future.

Game on. Good luck Brissie - here's hoping you need it.

Oh and nice review to both OP.

DL

Mar 21, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea
Our fitness this year through all quarters has been amazing, never have I thought we would fail to run out a game. We do have fades still, but so far we haven't really ran out of legs.

Watching Lake battle to keep up with Brown in the last half tells the story.I think this will come in handy against Melbourne's young mob.

They have definitely taken steps forward and have some very dangerous players in Davey, Sylvia while Petterd and Bennell can be damaging too.

Having said this I still have a fair load of confidence coming into this game and don't think there is really an area where we are lacking. I just hope we don't come out thinking that it a guaranteed win and play at anything but full throttle.

NQlionnut

Senior List
May 29, 2008
Townsville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for the preveiws, nice to have them on a monday i am usually hanging out by wednesday. I actually hope this is a close contest so as to keep the team sharp for when we face sydney the week after. Just cant see the demons defense holding back the towers of terror, hopefully staker can reset his radar too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back