Roy Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2002
demonwiki.org
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon, Atlanta Braves
Every source I read about him says his last game was the Round 15, 1915 match against St. Kilda when he was suspended and refused to play VFL again (though he would have had to change teams anyway as we dropped out for the war, he went to Footscray in the VFA), but AFL Tables lists him as having played round 16 that year and kicking two goals. Can anyone confirm what is correct?

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/R/Roy_Park.html

Can only imagine that he played on a stay of proceedings. The Argus of 9/8/1915 mentions Park twice.

Melbourne advanced first, George being noticeable, and Park got first goal.

Towards the end of the quarter, Park, from a free kick, scored for the home team...

No other similarly-named players are recorded as representing Melbourne that season.

Every source I read about him says his last game was the Round 15, 1915 match against St. Kilda when he was suspended and refused to play VFL again (though he would have had to change teams anyway as we dropped out for the war, he went to Footscray in the VFA), but AFL Tables lists him as having played round 16 that year and kicking two goals. Can anyone confirm what is correct?

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/R/Roy_Park.html

Park did play in Round 16.
The tribunal did not immediately meet after Round 15. Dealt with Park's case and some others, plus reports from Round 16 all at the one hearing a week later.

see The Argus 12 August 1915 page 8

Dr Roy Park is the object of one of the funniest cricket stories I've heard. He made the Test team after some good scores for Victoria, but only played 1 Test, batting once, and made a 1st ball duck.

The story is his wife was sitting in the stand knitting. When Roy was walking to the wicket she dropped one of her needles, bent down to look for it and missed her husband's entire Test career :)

Dr Roy Park is the object of one of the funniest cricket stories I've heard. He made the Test team after some good scores for Victoria, but only played 1 Test, batting once, and made a 1st ball duck.

The story is his wife was sitting in the stand knitting. When Roy was walking to the wicket she dropped one of her needles, bent down to look for it and missed her husband's entire Test career :)

Batted at #3 and came in shortly before lunch after the openers had put on more than a hundred.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back