Mod. Notice Reproduction of articles - Please Read

Remove this Banner Ad

Especially me. :eek: The reproduction of articles on BigFooty has gotten a bit out of control lately, so:

Chief said:
In regards to linking to articles, the Official BIG rule is:

* Headline
* link
* Excerpt up to a paragraph
* link

No more, unless you have specific remarks about specific paragraphs or sentences in which case:

Your comment
More comment

As of now, entire articles are not to be posted. This includes in private boards and social groups.

Thank you.

What about scanning entire articles out of the 'Tiser and posting the images?

That comes to a sudden halt now too. This is the problem when a site is big enough to attract the attention of the legal department of major media outlets.

Tiser - No.

Penthouse/Hustler - Yes.

You, behave. ;)

When you have a really good article that is worth referring back to over a couple of months or even a few years, then they will be lost as some articles go off line within a few weeks.

I guess you have to make a comment on the decent paragraphs to ensure a permanent record.

*bump* We've been getting a bit of slippage in adherence to these rules lately - the mods have allowed a bit of leeway, but be warned, posts that do not follow these rules from now on will be deleted, not modified as has been happening.

Ok I'll stick up my hand.

The problem is when the papers write a sentence per paragraph and you need to quote 3 or 4 sentences to get the jist of the story. Can we do our own sub editing and put those 3 or 4 sentences into one paragraph?:cool:

This continues to happen, so warnings are now being given. This is a serious issue and moderators are on notice to ensure boards adhere to this standard. Please do your bit to help. :)

With new people and a few regulars forgetting, it might be time to bring this instruction back for noting.

Guilty :eek:

It's a rule that only applies on BigFooty so it is easy to fall into habits that are acceptable, if not standard, in the rest of the real and online world.

I would like to see the one link versus two links in a correctly referenced quote tested in court. Having been involved in copyright and intellectual property cases I am yet to come across a scenario where the number of copyright notices is an issue as long as the number is at least one. ;)

But this is Cheif's site and he makes the rules :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not just a matter of Chief's rules, it derives from an agreement reached with legal representatives from a major media outlet, following action initiated by that outlet.

It is not just a matter of Chief's rules, it derives from an agreement reached with legal representatives from a major media outlet, following action initiated by that outlet.
That is interesting. I'll try and keep that in mind.

I wonder why the media outlet insisted on two links. Having one link directs readers to their site. Does having two links direct twice as many readers? :) Probably just trying to be difficult.

I wonder how that media outlet views the Harvard Referencing System? Maybe they are busy taking legal action against a large number of universities and professional journals around the world.

It always puzzles me why posters cut and paste an entire article from another web page into a post. Completely defeats the purpose of the World Wide Web. :confused:

Youtubes can be embedded, links to audio files can be posted.

Is there a specific example that you are thinking about?

Youtubes can be embedded, links to audio files can be posted.

Is there a specific example that you are thinking about?
Well, youtube links being embedded is fine IMO - it contains a link to the original source, and content producers can choose to make their videos unembedable.

Audio files, really I think they should at least receive the same link-back procedures as written articles. By directly linking an audio file, you're not only robbing the creator of their advertising opportunities, but still burdening their servers with the cost of distributing the file as well.

Well, youtube links being embedded is fine IMO - it contains a link to the original source, and content producers can choose to make their videos unembedable.

Audio files, really I think they should at least receive the same link-back procedures as written articles. By directly linking an audio file, you're not only robbing the creator of their advertising opportunities, but still burdening their servers with the cost of distributing the file as well.

That's an issue you should raise in the site suggestion board for Admin to consider.

As far as providing a link to the sound file goes, no existing site rules are being broken.

I do see your point - I thought the sound file was linked to the originating radio station or media source but apparently this is not the case?

*edit* This sound file is linked by Terry Wallace through his twitter account, so I assume he as the owner of the IP gives his permission for it to be shared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back