TAC Cup 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Might be time to start a thread on this I reckon with praccies just four weeks away. Clubs are doing the hard yards - three nights a week training for most, working out who should and who shouldn't be on their list.

Early days, I think we should do our crystal ball thing again sometime in March and I'll probably set up the tipping comp again if people are interested.

But at this stage - Who are the teams to beat? Who'll provide the most draftees? Any news on the 19 year olds at various clubs? Injury info?

I'd have to stick with Gippsland at this stage as my tip - Stevens, Carr, Butcher, Golby, Weston, Ryan and Vardy are a nice starting base.
Eastern lost Shiels and Blease in the draft. But they'll still have Cass, Scott, Griffiths, Gysberts to name a few. And will Eastern finally get some reward for their yearly blooding of 16 year old kids?
Can the Jets with two AIS Academy members build on the character last years squad showed? With Rayner hopefully back from injuries, hopefully continued improvement from the big man Tighe and a few promosing tall guys down back headed by Kyle Hartigan you never know.
The Knights have underachieved in recent times, does the old master Denis Pagan weave his magic and get them up there. Same goes for Bendigo - can they get into the finals for the first time since 2003? Calder have been a powerhouse this decade - the Cannons spirit disappeared last year - will it return? Big Serhat Temel kicked 28 goals last year - with some better supply how many might he kick this year?
What impact will the school footy have on Sandy and Oakleigh in 2009 with seemingly more and more private school scholarships going the way of their players? Murray seemingly didn't blood a lot of younger players last year when they won the flag with - will Phil Bunn be able to weave his magic again? One handy returning player will be last years Morrish Medallist Farran Priest. And speaking of shorter guys - I wonder what sort of year everyone's favourite player Andrew Hooper will have with the Rebels.

So many questions...we'll have to wait a few months for answers I guess. Can't wait!

Great thread that will hopefully gain momentum as the season approaches!
Agree with your preview, a lot of questions to be answered and hard to say where teams stand at this stage.

For the Jets, training has been has been superb and the spirit has only lifted from last year.
3rd year on baller Scott Sherlock will be sidelined until May after an off season shoulder reco.
Aside from him things are looking good on the injury front. Rayner's back is coming along well i think he is poised to play in the praccy matches.
Also, young stars Dyl Conway and Ben Casley will be lost to school footy.

One player i'm very keen to see this year is Majak Daw.
Limited football exposure but seems to have the 'X factor' AFL clubs look for.
Will raise eyebrows with incredible flashes...bold statement, but i can see him getting drafted if he gains momentum from round 1 onwards.
How much do you know about Majak footyman?

How are other teams travelling? and who are the respective 19 year olds at each club??

Word coming out of the Jets camp is that is the best collective squad they have had in years and they are futher advanced than the two previous that made finals.

Another few names to look out for that havent been mentioned from down Burbank Oval:

Fortune
Halloran
Morris
Carr
Fitzpatrick.

And speaking of Fitzpatrick, doesn't that mean the Jets have 3 AIS academy graduates Footyman? :)

One player i'm very keen to see this year is Majak Daw.
Limited football exposure but seems to have the 'X factor' AFL clubs look for.
Will raise eyebrows with incredible flashes...bold statement, but i can see him getting drafted if he gains momentum from round 1 onwards.
How much do you know about Majak footyman?
Don't know a lot about Majak, saw just one of the two games he played with the Jets last year. Hardly set the world on fire that day out at Dandenong (admittedly little time on the ground), he probably had two kicks - I remember him plucking a mark down in the goalsquare and kicking a goal right on one of the breaks as a bit of a teamlifting goal and his other kick went straight into the man on the mark after he chased an opponent down. He's got a long way to go but some guys are capable of going from that level to draftable within the space of 12months. Who knows.

For the U19s I believe Andy Duhau might be back to the Cannons. Not bad for them to get their B&F runner up from last year playing again. Would be a perfect candidate for it.

And speaking of Fitzpatrick, doesn't that mean the Jets have 3 AIS academy graduates Footyman? :)
You are spot on! Good get. My mistake :eek:

While Im in the question asking mood, maybe that's another question worth asking - what position will he spend most of his time in this year? Personally I hope he plays mostly forward, but it was common last year for him to be shuffled around constantly. Aside from going forward, Vic Metro tried him down back, he pinch hitted ruck with the Jets, the Jets even moved him back to play loose across HB on days with strong winds to pick off the opposition. I like to see versatility, but I cant say I like seeing guys spend 10 mins here, 15 mins there. Must be tough to settle into a game and it surely can't be easy bouncing around like that.

Don't know a lot about Majak, saw just one of the two games he played with the Jets last year. Hardly set the world on fire that day out at Dandenong (admittedly little time on the ground), he probably had two kicks - I remember him plucking a mark down in the goalsquare and kicking a goal right on one of the breaks as a bit of a teamlifting goal and his other kick went straight into the man on the mark after he chased an opponent down. He's got a long way to go but some guys are capable of going from that level to draftable within the space of 12months. Who knows.

Your knowledge is impeccable :thumbsu:
I've played with Maj for a few years now and his improvement has been rapid and very pleasing to see.
This summer he has shown signs that he could be anything.
12 months ago he was just a tap ruckman in the WRFL B's, 2-3 years ago holding a footy was a challenge and only 5 years ago he was kicking soccer balls in africa.
More exposure will only better his knwledge of the game and he is certainly one to watch.
He's shot up to 194cm and is a sizeable 87 kg, i can see him filling the gap in the team at FF.
Only time will tell i guess...

For the U19s I believe Andy Duhau might be back to the Cannons. Not bad for them to get their B&F runner up from last year playing again. Would be a perfect candidate for it.

Yes i think he is returning..

Also remember seeing Sam Vale's name in the training squad, interesting considering he's never play TAC cup footy before.
Although he did play an impressive game for assumption in the herald sun sheild final last year.

12 months ago he was just a tap ruckman in the WRFL B's, 2-3 years ago holding a footy was a challenge and only 5 years ago he was kicking soccer balls in africa..
It'd be a nice story if he did improve to a level that sees him get drafted wouldnt it.

Even if not, it was good to see the Jets add a few guys to their squad last year with African/Sudanese backgrounds. Al Riak didnt do much good (dont think he even played??) but I suppose the AFL is trying to become more multicultural, the more opportunities and good stories that come of it the better. Hopefully Bachar Houli's success will flow through in the next few years perhaps it'll get a few more Muslim kids playing Aussie Rules footy.

Can't say I've seen Sam Vale - it'd be interesting to know if he was boarding at Assumption and whether perhaps Bendigo or Murray let him slip through the net.

Fitzpatrick.

I rate this Kid and I would not be Suprised when the 09 Draft comes along that he is 1 of the top 3 Talls in the Draft

From what I've heard there won't be any 19yos in the Murray team. Their U16's didn't have the greatest of carnivals either. Premiers and GF's in the last 2 years who lose Sidebottom, Ziebell and Tiller for 2009. Murray will also have to contend with school footy issues with Keath, Patone, Duryea and Pianto all in Melbourne. Best coach in the business so don't under estimate them.

Also heard that Jonno Nash will be offered a 19yo position at Sandy. They lose Watts and Lowden for 2009 but they were APS players and Sandy would have only seen them rarely anyway. New coach in Dale Tapping which can only be an improvement from last year's mess. No doubt school footy will severely impact on Sandy again, but also had the most draftees of any TAC club.

From what I've heard there won't be any 19yos in the Murray team. Their U16's didn't have the greatest of carnivals either. Premiers and GF's in the last 2 years who lose Sidebottom, Ziebell and Tiller for 2009. Murray will also have to contend with school footy issues with Keath, Patone, Duryea and Pianto all in Melbourne. Best coach in the business so don't under estimate them.

I read that Collingwood has Aligned with Collingwood and Geelong so The we can get a Murray Kid onto out Bench for VFL Games, Do you know who the Likely player to come down are?

i belive that Gippy will be the team to beat, They seem to be strong all round the board and have some very good excting players!

Round 1 will be a huge game Sandy Vs Oakleigh with both teams having there full squad to pick from. Thoughts on who will win, and players to watch from Sandy V Chargers

I read that Collingwood has Aligned with Collingwood and Geelong so The we can get a Murray Kid onto out Bench for VFL Games, Do you know who the Likely player to come down are?

Sorry Dave, I'm struggling with ^^^.

Can you re-phrase^^^ so I can understand what you mean?

Happy to answer if I know what the question is mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be time to start a thread on this I reckon with praccies just four weeks away. Clubs are doing the hard yards - three nights a week training for most, working out who should and who shouldn't be on their list.

Early days, I think we should do our crystal ball thing again sometime in March and I'll probably set up the tipping comp again if people are interested.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Sorry Dave, I'm struggling with ^^^.

Can you re-phrase^^^ so I can understand what you mean?

Happy to answer if I know what the question is mate.
1 Murray kid can play with the VFL Teams of Geelong or Collingwood on a Extended Bench

1 Murray kid can play with the VFL Teams of Geelong or Collingwood on a Extended Bench

Is that a current 2009 Murray U18 TAC player in a squad that yet to be finalised? Or do you mean an U19 if there is an U19 in the Murray U18 TAC squad.

Or is it just a player such as Sheahan, Birthistel or a Barolli who missed out on being drafted last year?

To be honest I don't know the rule, is it a new rule or been in place for a while?

Is that a current 2009 Murray U18 TAC player in a squad that yet to be finalised? Or do you mean an U19 if there is an U19 in the Murray U18 TAC squad.

Or is it just a player such as Sheahan, Birthistel or a Barolli who missed out on being drafted last year?

To be honest I don't know the rule, is it a new rule or been in place for a while?

I'm quoting footyman from another thread here...hope you can make sense of it.

AFL Victoria has regulated the use of a 23rd player which must be a TAC Cup player in designated senior VFL games in the 2009 season. The actual logistics of its operation are as follows:

1. VFL Round 3 (April 25/26)

• 19 year old players only to be used

2. VFL Round 9 (June 6/7/8) to Round 12 (July 4/5)

• 19 year old players and 18 year old NON National Representatives only to be used.

3. VFL Round 13 (July 11/12) to Round 20 (August 29/30)

• 19 year old players and 18 year old players (including recent National Representatives) to be used.

The Thread above explains what is happening

I'd have to stick with Gippsland at this stage as my tip - Stevens, Carr, Butcher, Golby, Weston, Ryan and Vardy are a nice starting base.
Eastern lost Shiels and Blease in the draft. But they'll still have Cass, Scott, Griffiths, Gysberts to name a few. And will Eastern finally get some reward for their yearly blooding of 16 year old kids?
Can the Jets with two AIS Academy members build on the character last years squad showed? With Rayner hopefully back from injuries, hopefully continued improvement from the big man Tighe and a few promosing tall guys down back headed by Kyle Hartigan you never know.
The Knights have underachieved in recent times, does the old master Denis Pagan weave his magic and get them up there. Same goes for Bendigo - can they get into the finals for the first time since 2003? Calder have been a powerhouse this decade - the Cannons spirit disappeared last year - will it return? Big Serhat Temel kicked 28 goals last year - with some better supply how many might he kick this year?
What impact will the school footy have on Sandy and Oakleigh in 2009 with seemingly more and more private school scholarships going the way of their players? Murray seemingly didn't blood a lot of younger players last year when they won the flag with - will Phil Bunn be able to weave his magic again? One handy returning player will be last years Morrish Medallist Farran Priest. And speaking of shorter guys - I wonder what sort of year everyone's favourite player Andrew Hooper will have with the Rebels.

You left out Stingrays and Falcons FM - don't you rate either team this year then?

I'm quoting footyman from another thread here...hope you can make sense of it.

AFL Victoria has regulated the use of a 23rd player which must be a TAC Cup player in designated senior VFL games in the 2009 season. The actual logistics of its operation are as follows:

1. VFL Round 3 (April 25/26)

• 19 year old players only to be used

2. VFL Round 9 (June 6/7/8) to Round 12 (July 4/5)

• 19 year old players and 18 year old NON National Representatives only to be used.

3. VFL Round 13 (July 11/12) to Round 20 (August 29/30)

• 19 year old players and 18 year old players (including recent National Representatives) to be used.

That's a real attempt to get more 19yos and others into the system. Is it mandatory?

It would need a corinthian attitude by the clubs, to give the National Representatives a game in VFL when the TAC season heats up in rounds 13 to 20, something that didn't necessarily happen with Geelong and Pat Dangerfield. I'd like to see the fine print on that, how many? same players? how would a team with no national reprentatives go? etc.

You left out Stingrays and Falcons FM - don't you rate either team this year then?

Stingrays will be thereabouts again this year, not too far behind Gippsland on paper for mine.

Not sure about the Falcons, they seem to lack a bit of size and I don't think they appear to have much depth this year (although depth is always a hard thing to gauge at this time of year).

The Falcons are a tough one to assess. I think they'd be happy they retained Thompson for his top age year, they also have the lightning quick whippet Callum Bartlett who hopefully sets things on fire with his leg speed, another small in Christensen, jack of all trades Ben Cunnington, and a couple of other young guys in Fisher and Mackenzie. But at this point I couldnt get too excited about the Falcons.

The Stingrays, well I suppose they fit into that category of how will school footy impact on them? Limited use of Scully, Pitt, Millard for a start. They lose Savage who was drafted by the Hawks, but retain guys like Bastinac and Heddles who showed a bit last year. Bastinac particularly looks the goods.

That's a real attempt to get more 19yos and others into the system. Is it mandatory?

It would need a corinthian attitude by the clubs, to give the National Representatives a game in VFL when the TAC season heats up in rounds 13 to 20, something that didn't necessarily happen with Geelong and Pat Dangerfield. I'd like to see the fine print on that, how many? same players? how would a team with no national reprentatives go? etc.
Essentially it means that if a side has 19 yr olds on the list, they can also play some VFL games early in the year. From about mid year, top agers (18 yr olds) can also be given an opportunity to play VFL.

It is one player per week. That player will be the VFL senior teams "23rd man" and be part of a five player interchange bench.

How it works remains to be seen. I guess the number one issue that I have is the amount of ground time guys are given.

Essentially it means that if a side has 19 yr olds on the list, they can also play some VFL games early in the year. From about mid year, top agers (18 yr olds) can also be given an opportunity to play VFL.

It is one player per week. That player will be the VFL senior teams "23rd man" and be part of a five player interchange bench.

How it works remains to be seen. I guess the number one issue that I have is the amount of ground time guys are given.

Sounds an interesting concept, game time would be a big issue as the VFL teams will have to embrace the concept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back