Coaches' Box (new AFL game in development)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much functionality implimented as yet to make the game fun to play. Just providing a quick view of the direction I'm taking with this style of game and trying to gather information on what people would want from an AFL management game.

In the gameday screen, a few minor additions could be made with what quater and possibly the time ? Or are you just giving us a taste of the match engine for the time being ?

Thanks for taking a look QuiKsiLvA

Game progress is on my to-do list, along with interchange players. I'm think of adding options for auto-coach like FF but also an option to stop at breaks or not.

I'm really after info about what features people want in a game. I thought by providing a demo of where I'm at would encourage this by showing something is being created instead of all the talk about making the game without anything to try.

got an error, it wont let me select one of the back pockets
when i try it just keeps replacing the left back pocket and doesnt let me select a right back pocket

Cheers Leafie. Should be fixed next release.

So far i have added the folowing to my to do list before next release

Game progress on Match tab
Interchange players
Player salaries
Continual improvement to game engine

In the came description next to some people when they kick its got (x=29 y=235) something along those lines

Hi there,

Have just downlaoded the game but cant play it until later as I am at Uni.
These are my ideas that we need in an AFL manager game.

* Finding sponsors
* Ground development
* Training Facilities
* Including all the Victorian Country and Metro footy teams so you are not limited to the AFL.

What do you think of these ideas?

look forward to playing your game!

Just downloaded it and had a look. Looks to be a good start.

My suggestion would be to have the option to speed up the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I definately agree that the speed is slow. At the end of the game I couldnt get back to any other screens. I had to close down and reopen the game.

I think you have made a great start to the game but in my opinion I wouldnt even worry about graphics. I would prefer to see a quarter by quarter scoreline and a rating for each player out of 10 and then look at stats.

That is just my opinion though! :D

yeh on the matchday screen its a bit hard to see the ball n the players just kinda kick it forward n all go in groups but i can understand how hard it would be to code such a thing and i can tell it will only get better.

but for the mean time could u make the ball stand out more....that would make things much easier

I'm looking closer through the logic of each player currently to try and avoid the flocking effect.

My intention is to allow the coach to select tactic for starting positions and kicks-ins for the team and to also create specific tactics for each player. By being able to view the game will allow the coach to see how these tactics work. I'm not sure how well this idea is going to work because as you can see it is hard to control so many players and keep it un-robotic but I'm working on it.

If you don't want to watch the game then just select simulate. I'm looking at adding qtr-by-qtr results to the Games page and also to Standings page. This will also display other key stats about the game.

melbournemartin the project is written in Delphi.

Definatly a great start, I really like the matchday screen and I like the idea of being able to see the tactics you employ. I think the most important features the game should have is tactics, and lots of stats. And i think a detailed offseason is very important for management games. Other features i think would be good inclusions are things such as training, awards eg. brownlow, as someone mentioned before things such as sponsers, injuries, reports, etc. Also I think that you should be able to change the game speed when you coach a game as they can take to long and sometimes and if you are winning easily or getting pumped you may want to finish it quickly. I also think that an autocoach, when tactics are put in the game, is a must for the same reason.

I also expierenced the bug where i couldnt go any where after coaching a match, and when selecting my team i couldnt place anyone in the right forward pcket.

Anyway its a great start and i can see it becoming a very good game.

It looks like it has the potential to be an awesome game, but i just had a look at the eagles team list and the rating aren't even close, although that would have a great deal to do with it being last years lists and all but an updated list with accurate ratings would be ideal. IMO if u want accurate ratings get a supporter of wach club to do the designated ratings, and then post them on the team boad and leave them open to criticism. Thats my opinion anyway feel free to approach that however you want.

just realised that in the ratings, there was no potential improvement column, like in TAR. yeh and dont worry about watching the game, the stats and ratings are good. Haven't done a season yet, but there must be an AA side, brownlow, coleman, norm smith, salary cap, trading, tribunal, drafts, sponsors, VFL, SANFl etc. And if you want it to be awesome just base it on CM/FM and u cant go wrong. Press releases and unhappy players etc would be awesome!

Cheers all reviewing Coaches Box for me, it has been an inspiration to continue. The current database is based around last years FF but I will add a player editor to the to-do list which is growing.

Could someone please explain the error where you couldnt go any where after coaching a match. Does the game just stop?

If anyone is talented enough to create a spash screen or title bar I would be extremley appreciative.

lol i know matthew whelan is a gun player but he aint our second best......

but anyway those things are minor, im sure that ppl here would be willing to help out with player stats

Mate, for where it is in its development its great for me.
Like someone put it, has the potential to be a really special game!!!! :)

I love the screen, how you can watch whihc number player has the ball and where it is.

Very Nice Work! :cool:

I downloaded the thing on your site, but can't start a new game.

It comes up with the message...

'[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver supplied.'

Any help?

Coaches Box said:
Could someone please explain the error where you couldnt go any where after coaching a match. Does the game just stop?

Gday mate

Yeah the game just stops. There is no buttons to select anything and the game doesnt go anywhere. What is actually meant to happen? Does the game go to the ladder screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back