Top 5 Midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't be happy if Lucas goes high this year, as watching him last year, and (assuming he was eligible, pretty confident he was) was very disapointed Essendon didn't at least look at or considered taking him.

well i cant say too much as i havent seen these boys play but there has been some hype about ryan bastinac, koby stevens and jordan gysberts, does anyone know if they are far off from being top 5?? at least at this stage as its probably hard to play guessing games this far from draft day. anyone know much about our hopes in sa?? havent heard much about them, just a few names thrown up, any thoughts on alex carey, matt thompson, luke tapscott, zane kirkwood, byron sumner?? anyone heard of any good kp prospects from sa either???

Won't be happy if Lucas goes high this year, as watching him last year, and (assuming he was eligible, pretty confident he was) was very disapointed Essendon didn't at least look at or considered taking him.

Wasnt eligible last year, 16 June 1991 birthday.

morabito and duncan are the next in line after lucas from wa.
morabito possibly slightly ahead at the moment after wafl league performances and sheer athletic ability and size. duncan probably technically the better footballer. both are of similar potential it depends what the clubs are after at the time.

morabito and duncan are the next in line after lucas from wa.
morabito possibly slightly ahead at the moment after wafl league performances and sheer athletic ability and size. duncan probably technically the better footballer. both are of similar potential it depends what the clubs are after at the time.

Yeah Morabito is in good form I would rate him just behind Lucas I havent really seen much of Duncan. I imagine Lucas's 31 possesion game should bring him back into the 1's atleast I hope so.

Koby Stevens & Jordan Gysberts are probably worth mentioning in this thread.

Yeah Morabito is in good form I would rate him just behind Lucas I havent really seen much of Duncan. I imagine Lucas's 31 possesion game should bring him back into the 1's atleast I hope so.

I would say Morabito would be rated above lucas, who would be on par with sheppard and duncan. Morabito has been playing some super footy for Peel Thunder in the league this year whilst we have seen Lucas struggle with the pace of the game. Sheppard also looks very comfortable at League footy.

My top 4 draft picks would be

1. Scully
2. Butcher
3. Lucas
4. Morabito

I dont know much about the VIC or SA mids but i would think
Morabito, Sheppard, Lucas, Hutchings would all be in the top 5-10 in the country

I think he was saying his first four picks,irrespective of whether they were midfielders or not.

How is Koby Stevens going? pretty sure he would be one of the top 3 midfielders.

Yeah I knew he was talking about overall; But I was subtly getting at doing them types of analysis in this thread, is inappropriate.

Anyway, Koby is going not too bad at all; Humming along quite nicely. Should go pretty high in the upcoming draft I would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year's group are an interesting bunch, a lot of guys that bring different things to the table.

Tom Scully's number 1 at the moment, and I can't see anyone knocking him off. He's got it all that boy.

After him, you've got the elite footskills of Lucas as well as good pace making him a prototype outside player, the athletic prowess of Morabito, the skills and natural football nous of Duncan, the bash, crash and burn of Koby Stevens, the silkyness of Melksham and Carey, the dash of Crichton....there's a bit of everything.

The Champs will go a long way in seperating these boys.

Right now, with my Bomber glasses on, outside of Scully I'd draft Koby Stevens. I realise the magnitude of this call, but if there's ever been a junior that's reminded me of Timmy Watson, it's this kid. And what the Dons would do for a Tim Watson type right now...

I think its too early to separate morabito lucas and duncan based on league performances... morabitos size is advantageous against the bigger bodies. from the league footy ive seen lucas struggled physically as opposed to with the pace. he has been thrown around like a ragdoll on several occasions and I think confidence suffered as a result of this. the three are quite different players and as vandelay said, the championships will be the influencing factor in where they all go in the draft. for me far too early to call but these three are emerging as the three standouts from wa with sheppard not far behind. again, the champs are going to be the deciding factor for the fate of the boys. as ive said before, lucas and duncan are perennial junior champs performers and tend to be absolute standouts against players of their own age. will be interesting to watch.

ill throw in a roughy how about jake melksham of calder and essendone grammar not the best but he is still very good would have to be up there.
Gysberts another one.
sean tobin of sandy dragons super footballer

Does anyone think that Lucas is up in the top 3 purely based on his reputation (and rightly so) and could slide this year as Rich did last year?

If Lucas struggles with WAFL league this year as his body develops he could end up being a magic pick up for a club at 6 or 7.

Of course the counter of that argument is that I think a few clubs thought that Rich didn't have as much potential development in him as some other players (along with their list needs) hence him sliding to 7. Whereas it could be seen that the physical development of Lucas is what is holding him back, not his potential growth as a player.

Alan Christianson from the Falcons? seen him play twice this year and most geelong people seem to think he would be leading the morrish medal if not top 3. gun!

I'm with Vandelay. After Scully i'd say Stevens is next in line at the moment.

good point about Bundy shake_and_bake. i'd have him def in the top 5 midfielders right now

the dash of Crichton..

Yep definitely in the top bunch of midfielders last year for Tasmania if that's who you're talking about. Matches the description; This kid reminds me of Winderlich. Nice pace, skills above average and has got potential written on his forehead. Would be surprised if he got drafted in the top 10, though.

Yep definitely in the top bunch of midfielders last year for Tasmania if that's who you're talking about. Matches the description; This kid reminds me of Winderlich. Nice pace, skills above average and has got potential written on his forehead. Would be surprised if he got drafted in the top 10, though.

Who said he was top 10?

He's one of many draftable players who's got a lot to prove before November. I, for one, haven't seen him play for months, let's wait and see what he's got to offer this year round.

Not sure about a Winderlich comparison. He's skinny enough, and he's probably quick enough, and whilst he can jump, I'm not sure he's got much of a marking game. I'd suggest he's more of a Blease-style without being as good a kick.

Who said he was top 10?

Mentioning him in the top 5 midfielders thread was a little rich I thought. That's all. Most top 5 midfielders generally go in the top 10.

Not sure about a Winderlich comparison. He's skinny enough, and he's probably quick enough, and whilst he can jump, I'm not sure he's got much of a marking game..

He has the pace, agility and frame all similar traits as to what Winderlich had. They're things which you are born with, and can't teach. Marking however can be learnt, so that's where I sort of drew the line in the sand and made a rough comparison.

the coast i think you answered your own question pretty well... lucas is at a veryyy different stage of development to rich at the same time... rich had played in a wafl premiership side and had played league all year. lucas is a very different body type to rich... the reason for rich sliding is supposed to have been of his apparently relatively low ceiling and not being what the clubs wanted. if lucas goes lower than expected it would more likely be performance related i would think... and he will be a magic pick wherever he goes

Right now, with my Bomber glasses on, outside of Scully I'd draft Koby Stevens. I realise the magnitude of this call, but if there's ever been a junior that's reminded me of Timmy Watson, it's this kid. And what the Dons would do for a Tim Watson type right now...

I hope the recruiters would not get caught in the trap of the 'reminds me of'. From seeing this happen so many times in drafts, I think players need to be judged individually on how they will adapt to the current game without comparison to former players.

As soon as you put the rose tinted timmy watson glasses on, the brain will start to assume some things and will probably miss areas he *may* be weak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back