Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

For the 50th time.

Ross' gameplan doesn't instruct the players to:
  • miss 2m handballs
  • kick it out on the full going foward when Max is out by 15m on his opponent
  • Find the 1/100 way to mess up an obvious counter attack
  • drop an uncontested mark off a kick-in in th back pocket.

We have a TALENT and EXECUTION problem

And the holding of max king is beyond a joke. Umpires can f*ck off too.

Bloke does my head in. Looks like he's continually unhappy to even be there.

Continually whinges in the media about Ross but always in an indirect way. Where he compliments him but off the back of a whinge.

Whinged under ratten.
I absolutely agree with this.
Wouldn’t mind seeing a high pick come in from trading him. Sounds crazy. I think he is a great talent but should be removed from captain immediately.

For the 50th time.

Ross' gameplan doesn't instruct the players to:
  • miss 2m handballs
  • kick it out on the full going foward when Max is out by 15m on his opponent
  • Find the 1/100 way to mess up an obvious counter attack
  • drop an uncontested mark off a kick-in in th back pocket.

We have a TALENT and EXECUTION problem

The short handpass to another player who is stationary and about to get tackled is something we've been doing that a lot this season and it's so frustrating. Our decision making is deplorable.

Has been one of the problems for a while now, great talent
Not a leader

There is something not healthy inside the club ATM. Far too many players are not enjoying their footy and lack confidence. I wonder if Misson did an anomynous survey of the players and asked them questions about our style and game plan what answers would he get?

I very much doubt many would suggest they are enjoying their footy and believe they personally or the club has improved this year.

I am literally stunned at how bad we are playing, we are getting worse by the week despite getting some better players back.

I hope we are now trying to lose to get better draft picks because if we are then tonight was a raging success.

If we were trying to win tonight then you could have fooled me, we are carrying so many passengers that we could replace Bonza.

We make too many unforced errors & that kills us on the outside, simply put. And when this happens so constantly, why would you wanna keep trying, it's too demoralising.

Well I guess the big question is, where the fluff do we turn to from here?

Might as well throw a grenade under the game plan and any pre conceived ideas of player roles. Let’s see Chito in the middle. Pou at Halfback to get near the ball. Not talking mass changes but some creative rolls of the dice to see if we can unlock something.

I also have felt we have played too many outside players all year. Watching us lose is hard enough without watching 6-8 players choose to avoid physical contact at the expense of team performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To totally rebuild the midfield, apart from the draft, youngish mids we should target:

1. LDU
2. Will Brodie (not getting playing time with Freo)
3. Sam Berry (Adelaide, a tackling machine)
4. Will Philips (former pick 3, starved off opportunities at North)
5. Hobbs (not getting opportunities at Bombers)
6. Any young genuine mids from GWS, Carlton or Bulldogs because they have oversupply of them

Anyone else I’ve missed

I'm starting a petition to build a third elite training facility.
It's funny cause it's true.

It's what we point to when we want something to feel good about. Like a tradie with no assets, no super and a crook back "see those block of apartments son... I did the plastering on those".

Okay, my take outs:

- Whose putrid decision was it for Steele to tag Fyfe? He’s not even their best mid and there’s relatively minimal benefit in this match up.

- Owens and King didn’t stop trying, could’ve had Curnow and McKay tonight and still wouldn’t have made any difference.

- It’s becoming an increasingly restrictive game style with Ross. I get that we want to remain competitive while building, particularly given state of the list, but won’t win anything with this brand of footy. Something has to change.

- I think this contested brand of footy leads to a lot of skill errors, due to playing out of congestion and an exhaustion friendly style.

- Too many short kicks out of D50, mostly lateral or at angles, with minimal territory gain which just invites unnecessary pressure.

- First game of the year I can remember really being smashed at stoppages. We looked a better side when at least breaking even, being more comfortable moving the ball quickly for territory.

- Dow was impressive in his first game back. Pou really needs a spell in the VFL, similar to Windy last year. Can’t play Pou, Lance and Paton together.

- I feel for Marshall, top 3 ruck in the AFL, arguably best on his day, and continues to toil himself for this god forsaken mob. Chuck Wilkie in there too.

Mr rankings

Played well
1. RO
2. Battle

played at an afl standard
3. Webster
4. Sinclair

Tried hard but not full game
5. Windhager
6. Owens
7. Wilson
8. Howard