Autopsy 2024 Rd 9 Blues hold on in 1 point thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 9 vs the Demons?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, that's enough.

The next poster who thinks they should have a crack at an individual or a collective reaction to this game is going to find themselves threadbanned. Terms like 'bleaters' or 'shit posters' will see things escalated further.

Let's discuss our views on the match without getting the knives out, please.

Where are the owies apologists.. our best consistent small by a mile.
I don't think this is fair.

Owies just played his best ever game in Blue. He'll kick more goals and have statistically superior games, but last night he had genuine impact on balls that he'd never have gotten to due to repeat second and third efforts that he doesn't normally do. He was desperate last night, in a way I've never seen him be; he's usually very good at finding holes and popping up and he did that, but there were some genuine jack terrier moments last night where he halved one contest and kept it alive before halving another and another, one bloke against 3.

To say that he played well does not disguise that he doesn't play like that normally. If he does, he'll get the accolades without posters needing to crow.

1. We were missing Saad, Fogarty, Motlop, Williams and (arguably) Marchbank from our best 22 (not to mention JSOS, Doc).
2. We lost Cerra and TDK with a big chunk of the game still to play.
3. Martin, Guv first game in eons....

No one will remember how we won in short order.

We won, yes, could have been by more, but that's moot.

Go Blues.

8 days rest now...

In a wet game like last night, in close, against Melbourne mids, there’s not many getting the ball in space. Walsh has shown his skill at running to the outside and distributing forward 100 times.

I think we’re being a little precious when we start calling two of our most selfless players arrogant because we’re unhappy the oppo’s worked there way back into the game.

If Walsh played off half back I’m sure he’d have all the free ball you like - alas he’s most important to us in the furnace.

Sure. He does gets caught several times a game. Often because he calls for it when he shouldn't.

Never called him arrogant. I just think that he's such a strong character that when the other boys hear him call for it, it's an automatic give. Frequently without looking first.

Now, I'm not sure if Walsh is unaware of the pressure on him, or he just backs himself to beat the opposition.

I have seen him between the opponent and the ball carrier, calling for the ball. The smart play would be to Shepard. Instead he calls for it and promptly gets tackled.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep just needs to adjust his decision making and take 1-2 less steps before disposing of the ball.

Although he isn’t slow, I’d say a lot of AFL players come into the League thinking they’re “quick” after usually dominating the junior leagues with generally superior athleticism to their opponents - at AFL level (almost) everyone is genuinely fast...
Needs a left foot. He takes time to straighten up onto his right.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good to pocket the points but it didn't feel much like a win to me in the aftermath.

I really dislike how early Voss parks the bus. We go super defensive way too early for my liking and it stops us from ever being able to kick away in a contest. A few weeks ago Leigh Matthews was talking about it and mentioned we do it probably a bit too early as well. It shows in how many close finishes we've had that we don't kick away to ice the game. All we needed really was 2 goals in the qtr to kill the game, and probably just 1 in the last 10 mins would've finished it.

I think from pretty much halfway through the 3rd qtr we Parked the Bus. We did it well until the last 5 mins, at which point we panicked several times to give them the game they wanted. The whole qtr I got the sense that this sort of finish was coming, holding the game down only works for so long and I was just waiting for Melbournes explosion, which very nearly was enough.

I think going forward we need to not completely shut the game down so early and we also need to be better in the last few minutes. I know we have loads of wins by under 7 points but I still think several guys in the team clearly panic in those late moments.

1. We were missing Saad, Fogarty, Motlop, Williams and (arguably) Marchbank from our best 22 (not to mention JSOS, Doc).
2. We lost Cerra and TDK with a big chunk of the game still to play.
3. Martin, Guv first game in eons....

No one will remember how we won in short order.

We won, yes, could have been by more, but that's moot.

Go Blues.

8 days rest now...

What happened to TDK?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think this is fair.

Owies just played his best ever game in Blue. He'll kick more goals and have statistically superior games, but last night he had genuine impact on balls that he'd never have gotten to due to repeat second and third efforts that he doesn't normally do. He was desperate last night, in a way I've never seen him be; he's usually very good at finding holes and popping up and he did that, but there were some genuine jack terrier moments last night where he halved one contest and kept it alive before halving another and another, one bloke against 3.

To say that he played well does not disguise that he doesn't play like that normally. If he does, he'll get the accolades without posters needing to crow.

Third highest goal scorer last year and this year so far but always the first alot want dropped when he has a down day...pretty fair comment actually

“We won’t win this by much”

What a clever belief to instil in a team before a game. Brilliant stuff vossy.
It’s great isn’t it, he used the word “win”..so he knew we’d win!

For context in the last four weeks we’ve played.

Giants - Flag favourites at the time.
Geelong - 2022 flag.
Pies - 2023 flag.
Melbourne - 2021 flag.

We’ve come out 2-2 without our best team.

Glass half full!

I go on my emotion on what I think of whether a game was good, bad or indifferent….and I was absolutely fuming walking out of the ground tonight.
Yeah we won, but it so felt like a loss

It's a funny year like that.

I've walked out of the Richmond and Freo wins and the general crowd sentiment is the same - relief but no real joy. Maybe it's just that our expectations are much higher?

Both finals wins were hardly comprehensive, but we bloody loved them. I think we are suffering a form of PTSD given 10 of our last 14 games have been in the balance with 3 minutes to go. 9 of those decided by a kick each way if you count the Freo one, which technically "blew out" to 10 points.

Third highest goal scorer last year and this year so far but always the first alot want dropped when he has a down day...pretty fair comment actually

Yeah agree, couple of years ago I had the same thought processes as others because he wasn’t getting it enough and would kick more points than goals.

But he’s an automatic selection almost and definitely needs more than one or two bad games in a row to be in the drop category.

Unfortunately doesn’t have the same pace, but his footy iq is up there with Steven Milne’s. Yeah yeah, prick of a bloke but he could damn well football

Owies has separated himself from the clutch of smalls by hitting the scoreboard. It has surprised me, because to my eyes he doesn't look to have AFL small forward attributes. I don't see him as particularly fast, a great crumber, nor a fanatical forward pressure type - and he has no "magic" to create something from nothing.

BUT... dammit... he kicks goals. He presents on the lead well and is probably our most reliable set shot for goal

I'd really like to see him develop a little more physical presence - just hit a little harder/lay more tackles and get better at halving marking contests instead of being out-marked.

But there's room for a guy that bobs up and kicks plenty of goals, that's for sure! He's well and truly in the side for good, or until someone takes his place. He played well last night, for sure.

Also O Hollands is too small to do the role he’s doing. It has to be outside run or he’s gotta go gain some strength. Young man, still growing - of course.

Interesting he took Langdon, while Acres took Windsor or whoever the younger kid was. Acres virtually played back pocket , lol.

Owies has separated himself from the clutch of smalls by hitting the scoreboard. It has surprised me, because to my eyes he doesn't look to have AFL small forward attributes. I don't see him as particularly fast, a great crumber, nor a fanatical forward pressure type - and he has no "magic" to create something from nothing.

BUT... dammit... he kicks goals. He presents on the lead well and is probably our most reliable set shot for goal

I'd really like to see him develop a little more physical presence - just hit a little harder/lay more tackles and get better at halving marking contests instead of being out-marked.

But there's room for a guy that bobs up and kicks plenty of goals, that's for sure! He's well and truly in the side for good, or until someone takes his place. He played well last night, for sure.
He's just a very smart, well drilled type.

Won't see him flying with the big boys like Durds!!

He's a medium forward in a small forwards body.

He's not a great crumbing small, but he's very good at finding space and leading into dangerous areas. He Matt Wright esque in that way.

I think criticism of him comes from that he's not a crumber and doesn't really sit at the feet of the bigs well, which as a small is a fair flaw. But he is very good at being a crafty type of forward who lays good pressure, so the criticism is unfair given his other strengths.

Acceptance of mediocrity? You do realise we beat a top 4 side, a side that demolished an unbeaten side the previous week

I was disappointed last night, this morning it’s more , well we got 3 quarters more than right , only got the last wrong, we can work on that, fix it, and still got the 4 points.

“We won’t win this by much”

What a clever belief to instil in a team before a game. Brilliant stuff vossy.
Imagine a coach looking out and seeing the forecast and knowing its going to be a wet and miserable night against a really good side and saying its likely to be close game.

Would you have preferred him to say its going to be a 15 goal win tonight baggers.

Back