NO TROLLS Homophobia in the AFL - 4 Corners

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed with the premise but hate the "woke" dog whistle for stuff we dont like lol

Its maddening how much celebration people expect for their sexuality though. Ffs the fact no one cares what you do in the bedroom is equality, that indifference people have is a good thing. Ssm voted in favour of, end the parades and celebrations, you have equality. But this lbgt seems to pick up even more steam now which is truly bizarre so is it equality or a pedestal people want?
ha ha ha thats so funny "lgbt seems to pick up even more steam now which is truly bizarre so is it equality or a pedestal people want? "

So give them same sex marriage as long as they dont celebrate who they are ? get married and get back in the closet.

Do you realise how homophobic that is.

ha ha ha thats so funny "lgbt seems to pick up even more steam now which is truly bizarre so is it equality or a pedestal people want? "

So give them same sex marriage as long as they dont celebrate who they are ? get married and get back in the closet.

Do you realise how homophobic that is.
Why should anyones sexuality be 'celebrated'?

I don't need to cheer anyone for their sexuality, and don't intend to. That indifference is true equality, yet somehow that is 'homophobic'. Don't you see how that can be misconstrued as wanting a pedestal and not equality?

Why should anyones sexuality be 'celebrated'?

I don't need to cheer anyone for their sexuality, and don't intend to. That indifference is true equality, yet somehow that is 'homophobic'. Don't you see how that can be misconstrued as wanting a pedestal and not equality?
It's celebrated now because for most of history homosexuality has been repressed. This isn't even deep and distant history either, homosexuality was totally illegal in Australia when I was born.

I think words are far less important than actions.
So you're not suggesting that suspensions for actions like strikes should escalate with each infringement.

OK.

You should try not suggesting that, if that's not what you're suggesting.

No idea. Some people get upset over the smallest things, but I wonder how many would choose being bashed for being different over being verbally abused for being different.

I was racially abused many times, never physically. I cant imagine Id have chosen to swap out the verbal stuff for something violent.
So do you think that a player on the field bashing another player while shouting slurs wouldn't be treated MORE harshly?

It's celebrated now because for most of history homosexuality has been repressed. This isn't even deep and distant history either, homosexuality was totally illegal in Australia when I was born.
What's most of history?? ..... Homosexuality was openly accepted in ancient times especially in Greece / Rome / India and likely thousands of years before that .... its only since the rise of some Abrahamic religions that it has been repressed

Agreed with the premise but hate the "woke" dog whistle for stuff we dont like lol

Its maddening how much celebration people expect for their sexuality though. Ffs the fact no one cares what you do in the bedroom is equality, that indifference people have is a good thing. Ssm voted in favour of, end the parades and celebrations, you have equality. But this lbgt seems to pick up even more steam now which is truly bizarre so is it equality or a pedestal people want?
be careful. I got thread banned for having a similar opinion. Can't even share an opinion on sensitive topics these days.

So do you think that a player on the field bashing another player while shouting slurs wouldn't be treated MORE harshly?

I would assume multiple charges would get laid and it would either go to the Tribunal or the AFL would make a unilateral decision and they would probably be de-listed.

But I cant imagine this ever happening so its a bit of a strawman.

So you're not suggesting that suspensions for actions like strikes should escalate with each infringement.

OK.

You should try not suggesting that, if that's not what you're suggesting.

Ive said I dont actually have a problem if this is what they will now do every single time. But we know they wont. They will always find a way to manage any situation.

They never have an issue punishing the lesser players. Its how they manage the stars which matters.

What's most of history?? ..... Homosexuality was openly accepted in ancient times especially in Greece / Rome / India and likely thousands of years before that .... its only since the rise of some Abrahamic religions that it has been repressed
Ah, only in the last 2500+ years.

I would assume multiple charges would get laid and it would either go to the Tribunal or the AFL would make a unilateral decision and they would probably be de-listed.

But I cant imagine this ever happening so its a bit of a strawman.

It was YOUR comparison.

They never have an issue punishing the lesser players. Its how they manage the stars which matters.
True.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes for a short period of time. The Rugby League world were all behind him.

There are always going to be bigots. The world is full of them. But most people move on with their life.

Far more people took issue with how violent a player he was than the fact that he likes guys.
Yes, and people dislike Adam Goodes cause he slid in knees first once :rolleyes: As I said, revisionist at best,the industry tried to support but the abuse didn’t stop a week or two later. If it had been the internet age, it would have been even worse.

Yes, and people dislike Adam Goodes cause he slid in knees first once :rolleyes: As I said, revisionist at best,the industry tried to support but the abuse didn’t stop a week or two later. If it had been the internet age, it would have been even worse.

Roberts was sued (successfully) by a player because Roberts king hit him on the field.

The last bit is true, but also the easiest to ignore - given how easy it is to ignore whatever you want on the internet.

Roberts was sued (successfully) by a player because Roberts king hit him on the field.

The last bit is true, but also the easiest to ignore - given how easy it is to ignore whatever you want on the internet.
Yes everyone is arguing in bad faith... except you.

:rolleyes:

A lot of people do care what they do in the bedroom though. SSM vote still had almost 40% of the population voting no, plenty of discrimination, abuse and attacks on gay people happen as well.

Heaps of gay people have had to think twice about holding hands with their partner or kissing them in public, whereas a straight couple wouldn't even register a thought about it.

I agree that no one should care though.
Most people would forget about it the very next day, other people's sexuality and private life is a non issue for most people.

Don't blame them for not coming out. Some supporters are so feral, could you imagine the abuse they would cop?

I've heard some pretty awful stuff directed the female umpires.

No idea. Some people get upset over the smallest things, but I wonder how many would choose being bashed for being different over being verbally abused for being different.

I was racially abused many times, never physically. I cant imagine Id have chosen to swap out the verbal stuff for something violent.

So , stamping out the verbal. Probably lessens the physical. Thats the aim of the suspension in a way. Neither should be condoned. If you condone the words then you are opening up further things

We couldn’t even go out and get a latte together because of the sheer fear the both of us had of somebody pointing at the both of us saying ‘oh my god are you guys gay?’.

“But then there was this other side where we could scratch the surface of him being an AFL football player and a legend of the game and how scared he was to ever be found out for who he was, because of the homophobia in the game.

The toxicity and homophobia is what ended our relationship. It was too much pressure on him. It was too much pressure on me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back