Preview Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - UTAS Stadium, Launceston - Saturday 11th May, 1.45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get what you're saying.
I think Max made a concious decision to be more aggressive directly with opponents.
Maybe it's an act in that it doesn't come naturally to him.
But you can fake it 'til you make it.
I noticed Max running up high near the boundary making a big second effort against an opponent midgame last week.. It raised my eyebrow seeing such a big spindly frame so acrobatically reach and leap almost horizontally toward an opponent in an attempt to strip him of the ball. He crashed down, picked himeslf up, and went on.

It spoke to me in a few ways. a) given the context of him not (apparently) trying hard enough, here was an example if him having a red-hot go, I just wondered if he had received a reprimand in the long break and was responding b) I remembered my efforts at school aged 15. I could pull my sox up, and make a sustained effort for a few weeks, tops. I just thought that Max is a cool cat, and that he isnt gonna be a MItch Robinson type pile-driver for long. It just isn't sustainable.

So I thought..oh, now what? And I answered myself by saying that, he will just have to learn how to be a leading type of player, more like Ben. The portrait of of a lone tree, being swarmed by insects, animals, bullets, bombs and napalm loomed starkly. We need more Hills and NASs, and Sincs so that the kinds of passes that suit Max can be more forthcvoming. NOt talking bullets for chesties (although they'd be welcome), as defences are now so flooded there isn't space. I'm talking a combination of a short burst and those long arms are out reaching the opponents and forward momentum mitigates against the 360 degree ragdole attack.

Summary: Max can try harder, but it is not sustainable. He'll be injured. No good. New plan needed.

I noticed Max running up high near the boundary making a big second effort against an opponent midgame last week.. It raised my eyebrow seeing such a big spindly frame so acrobatically reach and leap almost horizontally toward an opponent in an attempt to strip him of the ball. He crashed down, picked himeslf up, and went on.

It spoke to me in a few ways. a) given the context of him not (apparently) trying hard enough, here was an example if him having a red-hot go, I just wondered if he had received a reprimand in the long break and was responding b) I remembered my efforts at school aged 15. I could pull my sox up, and make a sustained effort for a few weeks, tops. I just thought that Max is a cool cat, and that he isnt gonna be a MItch Robinson type pile-driver for long. It just isn't sustainable.

So I thought..oh, now what? And I answered myself by saying that, he will just have to learn how to be a leading type of player, more like Ben. The portrait of of a lone tree, being swarmed by insects, animals, bullets, bombs and napalm loomed starkly. We need more Hills and NASs, and Sincs so that the kinds of passes that suit Max can be more forthcvoming. NOt talking bullets for chesties (although they'd be welcome), as defences are now so flooded there isn't space. I'm talking a combination of a short burst and those long arms are out reaching the opponents and forward momentum mitigates against the 360 degree ragdole attack.

Summary: Max can try harder, but it is not sustainable. He'll be injured. No good. New plan needed.

I think he could work harder to get some non-contested marks, in the way Hayes did on the weekend. But I saw him chase and pressure on a few occasions, and I'm not unhappy with where his game is in this regard. I find the chest-out stuff people called on from some as a relic from a bygone era. IMO it's not who he is or will ever be.

I think he could work harder to get some non-contested marks, in the way Hayes did on the weekend. But I saw him chase and pressure on a few occasions, and I'm not unhappy with where his game is in this regard. I find the chest-out stuff people called on from some as a relic from a bygone era. IMO it's not who he is or will ever be.
Also, he showed some increased physically in the first 2 rounds then got suspended for it. Part of that is still likely weighing on him as he works out what he can and can’t do these days.

Not every shoulder dislocation actually fully tears the tendon. His wouldn’t have given he has come back on and has full range of motion. He’ll strap it to make sure it is 100% as it recovers, but it happens, a lot of players play with strapping because of these issues.

He came into Kade Simpsons office Monday (the day after it happened) (his defensive coach) and put his hands above his head and said “I’m good to go”.

Again, he’ll play. Injuries are complex but once you’re cleared of serious injury and it comes back clean you play.
Been there done that, he’s a key defender and his game is built around intercept marking etc. That shoulder will be tested and no matter what he thinks more likely than not he’ll do it again if not this week in the next couple. Just seems pointless but players play hurt every week, he isn’t the first and won’t be the last.

Been there done that, he’s a key defender and his game is built around intercept marking etc. That shoulder will be tested and no matter what he thinks more likely than not he’ll do it again if not this week in the next couple. Just seems pointless but players play hurt every week, he isn’t the first and won’t be the last.
May have said this already. (Did); but Ben’s arms look way stronger. Looks like Max hasn’t had a whole summer of weights and conditioning like his brother.

I do agree it’s pointless but as you said happens a lot. Glad the club is going toward being careful, we all saw the Rozee incident so shows what a lack of care and poor decision making can be.

Happy to be proven wrong, probably in the view point of not risking it.

Saints fans would be sighing relief thoughts of him not having 15 marks and 40 😂

Saints should win comfortably, and hopefully getting your season back on track!
That would be nice but this is the Saints we're talking about. I'm sure we can find another Hawks defender to kick it to 97 times.

Happy to be proven wrong, probably in the view point of not risking it.

Saints fans would be sighing relief thoughts of him not having 15 marks and 40

Saints should win comfortably, and hopefully getting your season back on track!
Sigh of relief for sure, love watching him play. Just not against us

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't win by 50+ then it'd be a disappointing result. Hawks will be playing a 2nd gamer teenager Dear and veteran Jack Gunston as their talls with Sam Frost and potentially a debutant in Ethan Phillips as their keys.

They shouldn't score more than 50 points and King, Membrey, Hayes need to combine for 10+ goals

If we don't win by 50+ then it'd be a disappointing result. Hawks will be playing a 2nd gamer teenager Dear and veteran Jack Gunston as their talls with Sam Frost and potentially a debutant in Ethan Phillips as their keys.

They shouldn't score more than 50 points and King, Membrey, Hayes need to combine for 10+ goals

I think this is a dangerous mindset. I won't be disappointed if we win comfortably and play well. That might manifest itself in a 6-7 goal victory like last week.

Hawks are a tricky opponent. I'd take any win.

Henry in is massive. The team is starting to look a lot more balanced. It will be very interesting to see who gets dropped this week, but you can guarantee it will be a stronger side than last weekend and players like Wood and Jimmy will be better for their run.

Let's hope this is the start of a good run of form and continuity for us.

Sicily missing this game helps our chances but I thought Libba and JUH missing against the Dogs would help our chances too and we got flogged by 10 goals.

We were coming off a 5 day break in that game though and this time we have had a 7 day break so no excuses for losing this one,

I think this is a dangerous mindset. I won't be disappointed if we win comfortably and play well. That might manifest itself in a 6-7 goal victory like last week.
We won every quarter last week. If we can do that this week and start to get some more consistency we should have a comfortable win.

Last edited:

This. I get why people want the visceral enjoyment of a thumping (and we don't get many of those) but the fact is we want a sustainable gameplan executed well each time, and if that means we don't sometimes have blowout scores the so be it.

If we won every game of the season and finals by no more or less than ~10 points we'd still be premiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back