Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

I've really loved his work rate and pressure he's applying, that's what's impressed me most. Looks like he's fit as hell and just doing the little things well. Unselfish too.

Feels like he's a more rounded footballer this year than previously.

Personally, I was not wanting the Hawks to trade for Ginni. I wanted another multi option that did not happen.
He is a shoulder shrugger / and a compulsive arm lifter… of that there is no doubt. This stuff, I do not like… and aparently umpires and the AFL do not like either.

But I have been greatly impressed with the way Ginni does not complain. He just gets on with it.

He has had multiple high tackles that have not been called … which if he was not also rising his arms looking for the high hit… he would have gotten anyway. He needs to stop the arm raise and try the leg drive…

Ginni needs to learn from Moore….the idea of driving through a pack.

His skills are sublime. In afl he is slow and he knows it. But Breust has never been fast.
IQ is his power.

I am now a convert to Ginni

Personally, I was not wanting the Hawks to trade for Ginni. I wanted another multi option that did not happen.
He is a shoulder shrugger / and a compulsive arm lifter… of that there is no doubt. This stuff, I do not like… and aparently umpires and the AFL do not like either.

But I have been greatly impressed with the way Ginni does not complain. He just gets on with it.

He has had multiple high tackles that have not been called … which if he was not also rising his arms looking for the high hit… he would have gotten anyway. He needs to stop the arm raise and try the leg drive…

His skills are sublime. In afl he is slow and he knows it. But Breust has never been fast.
IQ is his power.

I read that post like it was a new Tool song

For someone with supposed elite skills he butchers it a lot. Kicking at 46.5% vs Moore at 70.7%. Career average of 55% by foot.

Just watching the Doggies replay against us and Ginni pulls off an absolutely identical classic Breust in the third quarter. Works opponent under ball, runs onto it and darts off on another angle then delivers it to Hardwick. A nice little trick to be taught.

Last edited:
Ginnivan is an absolute master of winding down the clock. This would be from his Collingwood days as they practice, again and again, bottling it up and running down the clock, when it needs to be done. The Pies are frustratingly good at fumbling and bumbling the ball into a held up situation to milk seconds of the clock and not give away a holding the ball decision. Ginnivan always displays that skill for the hawks and it looks like the team is learning it.

Secondly, how the hell did Ginnivan's thread slip to halfway down the second page? I think it shows he has stopped ducking, and the rest of his game is coming along nicely. Hoping for another big game from him, although all his games have been fairly good.

Great player!

Go Hawks.

Ginnivan is an absolute master of winding down the clock. This would be from his Collingwood days as they practice, again and again, bottling it up and running down the clock, when it needs to be done. The Pies are frustratingly good at fumbling and bumbling the ball into a held up situation to milk seconds of the clock and not give away a holding the ball decision. Ginnivan always displays that skill for the hawks and it looks like the team is learning it.

Secondly, how the hell did Ginnivan's thread slip to halfway down the second page? I think it shows he has stopped ducking, and the rest of his game is coming along nicely. Hoping for another big game from him, although all his games have been fairly good.

Great player!

Go Hawks.
I do understand this and it is very noticeable, but is he applying a blinkered approach and at risk of missing a quick opportunity to get the ball out?

Gone from averaging ~9 disposals a game at Collingwood to ~15 with us.

23 against Brissie, a record for him. If you compare this year to his last 2 at Collingwood, he's up in just about every stat (bar goals per game in 2022). Looking like a really good pick up.

Gone from averaging ~9 disposals a game at Collingwood to ~15 with us.

23 against Brissie, a record for him. If you compare this year to his last 2 at Collingwood, he's up in just about every stat (bar goals per game in 2022). Looking like a really good pick up.
They really don't like him at Collingwood for some reason. And I not sure Shultz is any sort of upgrade for them.

I think the races thing before the grand final was a final straw moment.

They really don't like him at Collingwood for some reason. And I not sure Shultz is any sort of upgrade for them.

Ginni doing far better than Schultz this season. Roughly same goals, but Ginni up in everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IQ is his power.

AFL loved it when it was Selwood. Only changed after he retired to protect his reputation.

The powers that be might have lost some love for him but many of the pies fans still miss him. I think we’re lucky to be getting him at this stage of his career. Still very young but enough experience - good and bad - for it to have made a difference. Love what he brings to the Hawks. Perfect match really.

I knew they would find a way to spin something from his chat, love the kid and his just getting better the more he grows in the game, going to be a pretty special senior player, funny to think that is still 5 years off...

Love what this guy brings to the club and team.
He’s cheeky and a bit of a pest (to the opposition but not me) but he can seriously play. Added so much to the team.
Love the way he just falls onto a pack at the end of quarters, wrapping up everyone in a bit of a bear hug, even though the ball was going nowhere. It’s like he’s hugging everyone. 😂.
Plus it’s pretty clear he bleeds Hawthorn. Love that.

Which he had permission to attend from either the CEO or President. Yes, stupid not to check with Fly but my god it’s not like he was at Revs until 4am. For a club that put up with Dane Swan being a functional alcoholic while playing they really had a harsh view of Ginni.

Love the way he just falls onto a pack at the end of quarters, wrapping up everyone in a bit of a bear hug, even though the ball was going nowhere.
I think he's trying to delay the ball up to give his teammates a few extra seconds to get to where they need to be.

Probably wants to be careful as it seems the umpires are starting to crack down on delaying tactics.

Which he had permission to attend from either the CEO or President. Yes, stupid not to check with Fly but my god it’s not like he was at Revs until 4am. For a club that put up with Dane Swan being a functional alcoholic while playing they really had a harsh view of Ginni.
I wonder whether it's part of the "snap back" from the management staff. Attempting to become more uncompromising on the values of the playing group. They no longer have too many dickheads from what I'm aware.

AFL loved it when it was Selwood. Only changed after he retired to protect his reputation.
Duckwood was sooo much better at milking head high tackles than Ginni. We all knew Duckwwod was angling for the head high tackle, but never as obvious as Ginni’s method. Duckwood also changed with the times… when one method of milking a free kick was banned he stopped doing it and found another method.

Let’s put Poppy on the list as well. He 100% milked free kicks but always through legit methods. He drove through situations knowing they would take him high. Perfect milking.

Ginni keeps rising his arm. He does not need to do it… but it seems compulsive. Do the Hawks have coaches telling him this stuff? Do they think his arm lift is working? Or is he un-coachable?

The rest of his game is going really well… though I’d love to know how his opponents have done. Is Ginni defensively good… I have no idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back