Who was better in 2004? Warren Tredrea or Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Two very different types of players. Both superstars.

One was a stay up CHF with a fantastic leap. The other was great at going on long leads outside 50 to provide a link and be the out kick receiver.

I think in general Riewoldt was considered the better player during those seasons.

It's a tough choice but if I had to choose one during that time it would be Nick.

Nick was the better player overall, but this was right at Tredrea's peak (maybe a year or two past it, can't remember off hand). Tredrea captained a team widely derided at the time (so same as now really) as chokers to a premiership win over the three peat Lions. Massive achievement.

Riewoldt had a massive second half of the year in 2004 and finished the year really strongly. From memory he was in St Kilda's best players in all 3 of their finals. Tredrea had the better year, but didn't finish as strongly. I remember at the end of 2004 I definitely thought Riewoldt had become the best player in the game after the finals series.

Tredrea had the better year... And is the only player to have 4 consecutive years as the named CHF in the AA team. He's criminally underrated in years since.

Nick Riewoldt has had the better career, had more longevity and was an absolute running powerhouse.

I believe Champion Data always loved Tredrea. Here's what they had to say about him in the 2006 AFL Prospectus after his 2005 season:

Tredrea has maintained consistently elite numbers for a key forward for five consecutive seasons.

There has been little variance in his disposals, marks and goals average in that time and if anything, he is still improving. In 2005, Tredrea averaged a career-high nine marks (the most in the competition), had more effective kicks than any other key forward, and led Port Adelaide in these statistics as well as contested possessions - an amazing feat for a player of his size and role.

In each of the past five seasons, he has ranked top-6 in the competition in both marks and contested marks. His tally of 968 marks since the beginning of 2001 is 147 more than any other player and his tally of 303 goals in that time ranks third.

Tredrea is also adept at ground level or on the lead. He won more ball gets at ground level inside 50 than any other key forward, and led the competition in marks on a lead.

Another thing that separates Tredrea from other players is his remarkable durability. Since the beginning of 2000, he has played 141 of a possible 145 games. He has been maligned for his shooting for goal and after peaking at an above average 65% in 2004, his accuracy dropped back to 59% in 2005, which was below average. In particular, from long range his accuracy of 40% is poor.

Definitely a player whose impact goes beyond the stats. His CD ranking points (SuperCoach) was 125.6 in '05 - a super elite number.

I believe Champion Data always loved Tredrea. Here's what they had to say about him in the 2006 AFL Prospectus after his 2005 season:

Definitely a player whose impact goes beyond the stats. His CD ranking points (SuperCoach) was 125.6 in '05 - a super elite number.

Imagine if he wasn't running round on knees made of crepe paper.

I don't remember see anything like his game against carlton, where he kicked 8 goals and took 17 marks in about 3 quarters before doing his knee. He was 19 years old then.

Still had an amazing career but imo probably had the potential to be on par or better than Carey if he hadn't battled with knee issues his whole career.

Imagine if he wasn't running round on knees made of crepe paper.

I don't remember see anything like his game against carlton, where he kicked 8 goals and took 17 marks in about 3 quarters before doing his knee. He was 19 years old then.

Still had an amazing career but imo probably had the potential to be on par or better than Carey if he hadn't battled with knee issues his whole career.
I was lucky enough to be at Princes Park for that one, by the third quarter even the Carlton fans were in awe at what a teenager was doing to them.

Tredrea was better in 2004, Nick in terms of longevity had the better career. Warren battled knee injuries between 06-08 and then an ankle injury in 2010 ended his career, he probably gets to 300 games and kicks another 150+ goals in his career otherwise.

Riewoldt.
Finished that season as the #1 guy in the game.
Started the following season brownlow favorite, youngest ever capt'n of an afl club, his team was flag favorite...and in the 3rd qtr of very first game of 2005 broke his collabone leading to the Mal Michaels/Scott bumps to his shoulder.
Tredrea had a great season but the footy world was watching a new star emerging in 2004. He was sensational to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the one who was voted by his peers as the most valuable player for the year.
Or the CHF who won the AFLCA coaches award, kicked 81 goals and led his team to the premiership. :think:

They both had outstanding seasons. Difficult to split them.

One of the key differences between them in 2004 was that Riewoldt typically used his athleticism & endurance to burn off his opponents with long searching leads out to centre wing, take a big mark over some hapless midfield stooge and then wheel around and drive the Saints inside fifty to Fraser Gehrig (109 goals) and Steven Milne (46 goals)

Whereas Warren Tredrea did most of the heavy lifting inside fifty for Port Adelaide. He was a huge physical presence in there, contesting everything, smashing opponents and bringing the ball to ground for his teammates. Tredders was Carey-like at his peak from 2001-2005 (and 2004 was definitely his peak season.)

I would give the nod in 2004 to Tredrea (by a whisker). He was 25 years old, in his absolute prime and playing his 8th season of AFL footy. Riewoldt was 21 years old and playing just his 4th season. He wasn't as physically mature. He put together a great season in '04, but his very best would come few years later (from 2007-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back