Roast Has Opening Round been totally botched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Big traditional clubs would still be in QLD and NSW playing in prime time slots.

Unless you think Port vs WCE on a Sunday afternoon would overshadow these games?
But it would take the media off those 4 games. The idea we the northern states got all the media.
And they did.
Massive success.

Has Opening Round been totally botched?

comedy central yes GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

I think there's enough to work with. They just need more games. Starting earlier will be a popular move and the Northern states idea is fine. Just make it a full round though.

I wonder if you could do a double header on the Saturday next year at accor stadium. Giants v blues followed by swans v pies.

Anyhow I thought the concept worked well, yes it felt flatter for Melbourne based fans, but I noticed most AFL fans don't seem to care about the growth of the game, it's weird. I love to see the game becoming more dominant in nsw and qld, despite fighting the incredibly biased media there.

So this week we have four "pre Round 1" games, all being held in Sydney and Brisbane.

Going back to the first mentions of "Opening Round", it was all about taking advantage of the NRL being in Las Vegas to open their season. So the AFL would strike with four big games in their heartland.

Sounds reasonably logical.

However, Vegas was last weekend, and this week we have NRL Round 1 games in Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Is this as simple as... the AFL got the dates wrong?

Surely it should have been last weekend?
The supporter bases are very different. Not sure how much overlap there is across NRL and AFL fan bases. Especially in Sydney. Brisbane would have some overlap.

I wonder if you could do a double header on the Saturday next year at accor stadium. Giants v blues followed by swans v pies.

Anyhow I thought the concept worked well, yes it felt flatter for Melbourne based fans, but I noticed most AFL fans don't seem to care about the growth of the game, it's weird. I love to see the game becoming more dominant in nsw and qld, despite fighting the incredibly biased media there.
You can’t. Accor won’t be available after concerts in Feb - no NRL there until Easter.

The season should start with a must watch match. The GF rematch with the runner up hosting. Let’s also assume that MCG, Marvel, Accor, Optus and Adelaide are unavailable due to recent concerts. Also allowing for heat so day games in cooler places:

Thurs
7.30pm Bris v Pies 35k
Fri
7.30pm Syd v Melb 40k
Sat
1.30pm Nth v ESS (Hobart) 20k
4.30pm GC v Tigers 22k
7.30pm GWS v Blues 20k

Sun
1.30pm Hawks v WC (Launceston) 13k
4.30pm Saints v Freo (Canberra) 13k
7.30pm Cats v Port 40k
Mon
3.20pm WB v Crows (Ballarat) 10k

Not sure about Round 0 being a total botch job.

But when you add the fixturing for Round 1 Thursday we could have Carlton on top of the ladder with 8 points, Richmond last and more than half the competion has not even played a game. And ONE team required to play after a 5 day break.

That is a Twilight Zone episode ladder right there.

Just another example of the AFL putting $$$$ ahead of player welfare and fixturing equality.

I think there's enough to work with. They just need more games. Starting earlier will be a popular move and the Northern states idea is fine. Just make it a full round though.

Then it is just round 1 starting a week early. I think the benefits outweigh the negatives - it's far better than letting SA clubs buy themselves an extra home game.

Spilt round would be better I think. Gives you a real chance to showcase every team over 2 weeks

That or not have those playing in the Opening Round then taking the prime TV spots next week to allow the focus on other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spilt round would be better I think. Gives you a real chance to showcase every team over 2 weeks

That or not have those playing in the Opening Round then taking the prime TV spots next week to allow the focus on other teams.
Agree, The whole thing a resounding success......could've had a match tonight at the G. Prime time around the country.
Then next week Thurs Fri Sat Sun.......every club gets max exposure with Split Round opener.

You're spot on. I've read a lot of people asking why they couldn't have done an entire round but with 2 games each in NSW & QLD. The problem with that is that is just a lot less marketable and Opening Round wasn't very well marketed anyway. A split round, as you alluded to, would allow every team a clear, unblocked timeslot to open there season, which would be a net positive. Plus the first week could still be marketed if the games in it featured most or all NSW & QLD games.

You're spot on. I've read a lot of people asking why they couldn't have done an entire round but with 2 games each in NSW & QLD. The problem with that is that is just a lot less marketable and Opening Round wasn't very well marketed anyway. A split round, as you alluded to, would allow every team a clear, unblocked timeslot to open there season, which would be a net positive. Plus the first week could still be marketed if the games in it featured most or all NSW & QLD games.
No, the problem is that AO, Optus, MCG & Marvel are not yet ready after concert season.

Checking tv ratings for opening round .All good but what's up with the new system.Trying to compare afl to nrl but fox isn't included and neither are each states.Anyone know where to find this if there still published?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back