Player Watch #15: Dylan Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree . I watched him live at Sandy & kept thinking what did we see in this cat .
He’s as s**t scared in the VFL too . Clearly helped in a few opposition goals due to his uncertainty with the footy thinking someone’s about to crunch him with a tackle but in fact he was on his own by 5M on those occasions .
Once a cat always a cat …
Will not grow courage over & has little pain barrier .
The ironic part is the player has never been more protected.

ouft. I’ll get shot for this. But I actually recall seeing some good signs of his run more so coming off the wing into the forward line in his last north game.

I feel he is a bit more aggressive with acceleration than Scott, quicker, as soft and scared but perhaps more accurate going inside 50. When he has space he looked quite good actually. Where when Scott has space running inside 50 you know it’s going to get intercepted, kicked over the guys head by two meters or far right on the full.

Hearing he's a "nice" guy.
Totally opposite of what this team needs right now.
We need a few hard arse pr1cks to come in & shake things up.
I cringe every time a new guy comes in and the first take is that he has fitted in well with the group. I immediately think just another washed up player fattening up his super.

ouft. I’ll get shot for this. But I actually recall seeing some good signs of his run more so coming off the wing into the forward line in his last north game.

I feel he is a bit more aggressive with acceleration than Scott, quicker, as soft and scared but perhaps more accurate going inside 50. When he has space he looked quite good actually. Where when Scott has space running inside 50 you know it’s going to get intercepted, kicked over the guys head by two meters or far right on the full.
Yeah better disposal than Scott in general but Scott goes harder.
That said i was ripping hair from my cranium when a sky ball went out on a wing to Scott and Wood. Looked 50/50 until Wood marked with out even any real effort to spoil. Yeah he's taller and stronger overhead but FFS.

It's not all that surprising that we went for him in our attempt to trade in some quality, given that not many are queuing up to join us. What is surprising, however, is that Sydney with their professional approach to recruiting burnt a top 10 pick on him in the first place.

Thing is though, if we can all see it, what is North Recruitment doing?
Seriously, desperate times call for desperate measures. Also we have to meet the minimum salary cap requirements, which I find strange. How can a club that can't win a game be expected to pay 95 % of the cap. We should be paying 40% max .

And then add in ALL clubs think that can make a player better, a fair whack of arrogance at AFL level. And actually also at volunteer VFL level if you follow the work of an occassional poster on this forum .
Oh well indeed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, desperate times call for desperate measures. Also we have to meet the minimum salary cap requirements, which I find strange. How can a club that can't win a game be expected to pay 95 % of the cap. We should be paying 40% max .

And then add in ALL clubs think that can make a player better, a fair whack of arrogance at AFL level. And actually also at volunteer VFL level if you follow the work of an occassional poster on this forum .
Oh well indeed
We're front end loading contracts

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No way.
Scott got the ball at half back on the weekend, burnt off his opponent and set up a goal in doing so.
Stephens is light years away from doing that.
Scott is no tough nut but can beat his direct opponent hands down.

Bailys kicking this year has been below his standard which was average at best going into 2024. Its flat out awful.

Oh well indeed
Culture is talked about a lot around our club recently. You have a bunch of fringe players who work hard (I guess), who are in and out of the team and over one off season an absolute cat is brought into the club on a 4 year deal (I would be surprised if its over 500k, the talk of 700 is absolute bollocks).

This is not good for club culture, it would create divide.

The TPP should be looked at for future clubs who are down the bottom for significant periods of time. Probably a bit late for us now but this should be a case study for the AFL.

in addition if our club was paying at 75% its essentially a massive carrot dangling for better performance standards.

TAO, you’re right and I agree. Its utter bollocks

Culture is talked about a lot around our club recently. You have a bunch of fringe players who work hard (I guess), who are in and out of the team and over one off season an absolute cat is brought into the club on a 4 year deal (I would be surprised if its over 500k, the talk of 700 is absolute bollocks).

This is not good for club culture, it would create divide.

The TPP should be looked at for future clubs who are down the bottom for significant periods of time. Probably a bit late for us now but this should be a case study for the AFL.

in addition if our club was paying at 75% its essentially a massive carrot dangling for better performance standards.

TAO, you’re right and I agree. Its utter bollocks

FWIW, I totally agree on the min % TPP obligation (which is no doubt a bargaining position of the AFLPA). It leads to fringe players being paid way over their worth, which in turn means your ability to move them on becomes totally compromised. I'm sure it was at the heart of why the Suns had to gift Jack Bowes and pick 7 to that year's premier Geelong for next to nothing just so they could clean up their salary cap for some decent footballers.

FWIW, I totally agree on the min % TPP obligation (which is no doubt a bargaining position of the AFLPA). It leads to fringe players being paid way over their worth, which in turn means your ability to move them on becomes totally compromised. I'm sure it was at the heart of why the Suns had to gift Jack Bowes and pick 7 to that year's premier Geelong for next to nothing just so they could clean up their salary cap for some decent footballers.
Combining the salary cap and football department spending would be worth looking at. So if you have lots of developing/cheap players, you can spend more on coaching and development (and recruitment).

Combining the salary cap and football department spending would be worth looking at. So if you have lots of developing/cheap players, you can spend more on coaching and development (and recruitment).
The bargain chip is we have a > % of fund distribution. Thats the counter argument, the share in revenue. We’d have to give up the equal share in afl revenue.

Its just flat out wrong to pay players above their worth because we have to

Remove this Banner Ad

Back