Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

List of things I liked seeing:

Sicily. Just repeating, great captain's game from him. Put his body on the line all day and when the game itself was on the line he went forward and won it. Goes to show that a great game from him doesn't require 30+ touches and 10+ intercept marks.

Yes and no.

Not his first few minutes of the first quarter. Got involved in quite a pile up with lots of push, shove, crash and bash going on when as leader he really needed to be the one who pulled our players out of there and concentrate on the game that was ongoing.

Plus the you know the MRO will always look for something out of nothing and Sicily gave him something to look at.

So gutsy to come back after his shoulder was out and then later his ankle getting some attention. To go forward was a great move and added something.

Certainly his best game for the year after the early scuffles.

Jack Reiwoldt provides some pretty insightful special comments

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wasn't sure about Reiwoldt earlier in season especially when he was commentating Richmond games but don't mind listening to him.
Fresh and different take on things.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be an amazing KPP defender. Totally neutralised the ten million dollar man Naughton.
Gun.
We genuinely have a rotating tall defensive set up - which is not unusual.

Darcy, JUH and (to a lesser extent) Naughton having their colours lowered is down to a combination of Frost, Scrimshaw and Weddle. All of whom should walk off very happy with their games.

There was no real 1-v-1 match up all day from what I could see.

It's Impeys best game in our colours. BOG.
Sicily seriously courageous. Bleeds for the club, even though I've questioned his leadership this year.
Meek becoming a serious ruckman. Elite performance today. Understandably tired without a chop out today.

Emotional win for many reasons. Main one was that I gave us zero chance of a win after last week. My kids were jumping for joy. I'm totally drained. *ing love this club.
When Sic's shoulder popped out and went off I can't lie in that the thought crossed my mind that we could be in for a pretty big belting. However, these are the character building wins that can drive a club up from the doldrums and instil belief. Really impressed with Impey + Scrimma today down back and thought both those guys went when they needed to. Just so proud of all them really as they got tested multiple times especially after losing the lead but then finding the resolve and not making losing an option.

CBA's out of a max of 31:
27 - Meek
24 - Newcombe
22 - Day
19 - Nash
16 - Worpel
8 - Moore
4 - Mackenzie
4 - Dear

The TOG stats were interesting:
79% - Newcombe
78% - Day
71% - Worpel
70% - Nash

Newcombe was clamped in the second half. Day was ineffectual the whole game, with 12 touches and too many up-and-under kicks, and both Worpel and Nash played reduced gametime (symptom of not being able to be rested forward?). But we still won despite that.

Jack Reiwoldt provides some pretty insightful special comments

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He would actually be a pretty good assistant coach IMO. Has a very good knowledge of the nuances of the game as well as strategy. Does rabbit on a bit but alot of what he says is insightful and what you want out of a special comments guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nash 9 tackles.
Worpel 8 tackles.
Newk 7 tackles.

This is what we need more of in 2024.

We don't yet have the polish to go 4 quarters on the outside so these guys need to crack in hard in the inside if we are to win games.

We aren't going to be winning shootouts any time soon so get down and dirty.

At the risk of being unpopular, I'm watching the replay and it's the first time in a long time the commentary hasn't made me want to pull a Van Gogh...

Meek - Best game for the club, outstanding.

Impey - One of his best games for the club and best I’ve seen him for a while. Probably BOG for me.

Weddle - Another player that is building, this kid is going to be unbelievable.

Ginni - Quiet for the most part but I felt he stepped up in the last when the game was on the line, fantastic last quarter.

Croc - Good to see him putting the goals through, he has it, just needs to convert like tonight.

Dear - Very good debut. He’s coming in a big way.

Sicily - That was a tough game. A real captains game. He was near immortal.

Scrimshaw - He’s getting harder and harder to beat, he does some uncanny things that just work and it’s not by accident. Building and building this year, could be scary.

Backline - Outstanding. We still gave up 90+ but with the talls they have down there we could have been demolished.

I would never have believed going into this game at what seemed like a massive height disadvantage at both ends would result in a win. We tackled and competed ferociously for for four quarters and gave us fans another glimpse of what could be. Very professional final minutes for such a young team.

I’m sure there is more to mention that I’ve missed but this is what I could come up with off the top of my head.
And credit to Frost. Haven’t seen as many brain farts this season and has taken his game to a new level. And I like it.

Well, thank you HFC. I really needed that after the past couple of days.

I lost one of my best mates (also aHawks supporter) to a stroke on Friday morning. He was only 56, and had no real health issues, so was a complete shock to us all. Spent yesterday with his wife. I’m so drained right now, but boy the adrenaline was flowing in that last quarter.

That win is for you Crackers. I will miss you mate. Bowling just won’t be the same without you on the lanes with me.

RIP Champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back