Preview Round 8 v Fremantle Sunday May 5th 1pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I get the confusion around why Cumbo isn't getting a game and the same with Ryan.
My thoughts are that Yze wants to develope players by giving them a good block of games in their position so they can learn the game. (Although. This doesn't seem to ring true with Sonsie)
Perhaps he wants these two to do certain things at VFL level before he brings them up and gives them their block of games.
With I juries we have and don't have perhaps they don't fit the team balance ATM or it won't give them their best chance to perform or play their role at AFL level.
As I said, I get the confusion and frustration, but I think we need to be patient and just see how it unfolds over the year. Yze will learn things and make his decision in time.
I get the feeling he wants to give the team the best chance to compete by keeping senior players in while giving the youth a decent cracking at it. I'm sure we will see a transition to the youth over this year and next.
I agree with that, a nice block of good games is the best scenario. Meanwhile we kick 5 goals a game with players that are locks every week doing very little at all and would be better off in the VFL building their game. Don't tell me Campbell is doing enough to keep his spot, and that he doesn't need to go back and work on getting the contested ball, kicking goals etc. Sure he has good potential, but he is pretty invisible at the moment. We carp on about Graham and MacIntosh not doing enough to warrant a place, but Campbell is doing far less. Cumbo might do better, meanwhile carry on.

Why do I get the feeling the Cumberland angst is a subtle form of the leftover Sydney Stack angst.

Has anyone found the agenda to not play Cumberland, it is probably filed with the Sydney Stack agenda and the ARC footage from the Elimination Final.

Why do I get the feeling the Cumberland angst is a subtle form of the leftover Sydney Stack angst.

Has anyone found the agenda to not play Cumberland, it is probably filed with the Sydney Stack agenda and the ARC footage from the Elimination Final.
Just like McBean stuff.

I don't think it's about an agenda, it's more let's try something different. Add Ryan into the mix, he at least can play forward. In the last two weeks in the last half we have kicked a total of 5 goals.

Martin has kicked 2 goals in the last 4 matches, Graham 0, Campbell 0, Mansell 1. This has little to do with Cumberland, but about trying to add a bit of life to a forward line that is not functioning. So try or Cumberland, Ryan. Throw Broad down there, do something. But no, she'll be right.

Last edited:
Why? Because if we didn't we'd finish bottom 4?

🤔
Yze is a new coach and the existing coaching support structure signifies continuance, this then allows major change in the 2nd year without the slash and burn commentary.

Hey lads n ladies. I created the preview thread on the Freo board.

Feel free to jump on and heckle us as a bit of banter can be fun.

Hope you guys lose by 10 goals

Peace KH
Ah, the good Fremantle and Richmond recent "rivalry" dating back to ..

hmm always hated youse since you stole Reece Conca off us

nah.

got nothing.

ooops edit

we stole Mal Brown, M Rioli.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nah.

got nothing.
I can understand the MC is entitled to take the view that they need a certain level of experience so Pickett, macintosh Grimes Short are needed.

The test of the MC will come in next few weeks when Balta. JGTI, Hopper and Prestia return. Will it be Lefau, Sonsie, Banks, Campbell and HRS that make way for them or the old brigade

Let’s bring back KB Flea and any other premiership hero if that’s what warrants getting a game. 😝
Team selection should be based on best performing players and not by what you previously achieved.
Kmac hasn’t played a decent game for nearly two seasons and mini even dropped him.
The other dribble you’re been trotting out is that the old guys are protecting our kids.
The only kid that’s getting a game is actually Campbell. Campbell should’ve been dropped three weeks ago bc he’s dropped off and could easily be replaced with a Green, KMac2 or Smith
The rest are made up of :
mature aged players in LeFau and Young
Or players that have had 3-6 seasons and preseasons under their belts in MRj,HRS , Miller, Mansell, Sonsie Brown Banks etc.
To everyone’s astonishment everyone of those players barring Sonsie have out performed most of the premiership heroes . Sonsie will make it and step up easily if he’s giving a license to play midfield for three to four weeks.
Ryan you’ve also criticised and I’m not a fan of, but he’s played three very good vfl games and should be rewarded over Naismith bc he’s just a list clogger and the games gone way passed him. I want to see if Ryan now with his tail up can transfer his VFL form into AFL . He played around a dozen games last year and was good in four early ones and then tired off , but he’s got another preseason under his belt and needs to be looked at . He's also more of a natural forward to Naismith so we need someone to support LeFau. Naismith was a joke in that role last week as he was leading to the boundary line and the ball was just getting smashed over the line. Even if he marked it the chances of him getting a goal was low as witnessed by some of his kicking. He is also slow as treacle.
The sad thing is if we didn’t have these injuries Brown, HRS, Miller, Sonsie, Banks wouldn’t be playing bc the tractor army would be still getting games. Even Ross would’ve missed out. On our injury list the blokes that woul get a game would be TT, Lynch ,Ross and Balta . Bauer would be in the mix and Hopper , but with Hopper it would make us very slow bc KMac and JGTI with Dusty are in the team. You can’t drop Dusty bc he’s still got some magic in him and can be a match winner on any given day.
I wouldn’t have rushed Short back as he’s been terrible this year and really needs to find form in the vfl and gain full match fitness. JGTI and Kmac shouldn’t have played a game as they’ve been ordinary for ages now . They are both total list cloggers bc they hardly win a contest or the footy and have very ordinary disposal. This is due to their lack of speed and they’re either chasing or under the pump with the ball in hand. Grimes is another list clogger and has been fumbling and making basic skill errors in defence, yet he’s still trotting around. We are now the slowest side in the AFL and starting to resemble our dark days in the mid 80s to 2010. The only thing we can gain from this season is by playing all the guys that can take us to our next premiership , not premiership heroes who have fallen off the cliff.
Dimma told us all he couldn’t cook the snag another way anymore. He knew and opted out bc the list was Shizen housen as the old timers were burnt. He’s not stupid he’s playing 8-10 kids a week seeing who can cut the mustard. We’re living back in the 80’s and starting to run the place with no urgency expecting miracles will happen. As we found out at the end of 2016 you’ve got to check every employee in the place and get the best.
tl;dr

If Cumbo can’t get a game when we have 20 players injured, then he is simply not good enough. There is no conspiracy theory to keep him out of the team. He simply isn’t knocking down the door and 1st year players have gone past him.
he isn't good enough? how did you come to that conclusion?

Average age is a bit misleading this week. If you take out Naismith, grimes and Pickett, the average age drops drastically. I haven’t mentioned taking dusty out bc tbh I’d expect all 3 of the former to not play next year whereas dusty will if he wants to, so I’m looking at the former 3 as short term stop gap that doesn’t really reflect our age and inexperience

How the * are we older, smaller, and lighter than them?
We have 7 x 30 year olds in the line up, while Fremantle has just 2.

We have 7 players under 181cm, Fremantle has just 2

We have 9 players under 80kg*, Fremantle has just 3

* - weights listed on Footywire are guesses based on last known published weights since the AFL removed weights from player profiles.

I can understand the MC is entitled to take the view that they need a certain level of experience so Pickett, macintosh Grimes Short are needed.

The test of the MC will come in next few weeks when Balta. JGTI, Hopper and Prestia return. Will it be Lefau, Sonsie, Banks, Campbell and HRS that make way for them or the old brigade
Be interesting to see where Short plays and Pickett was great as a tagger. I reckon Kmac sub again. Grimes is not bad.

Based on selections for a few years, old brigade straight back in. Hopps can play, Prestia too. question mark over their durability. Last year Prestia was uninjured. Maybe he has an amazeballs Part II of the season.

Balta for Naischmidt first. Lefau holding his spot. Campbell probs needs rest, LOL Cumbo can't get a look in and Seth boy not dropped.

Kids getting games is a plus.

Green named at all is a Plus and he's OK in the VFL
HRS amazing game, staying in the team, looks like he's in favour. ditto Banks & Brown.

Sonz will be in and out until Prestia retires.

I like Ryan too. good footy skills just needs MRJ's dietician. Maybe Kosi improves a lot.

No Lynch for too long has killed us

You know they will, and in some instances it won't hurt some player to have a spell in the VFL. We should be rotating our bottom 6 regularly to give new players a go, bottom 6 including players like the one's you mentioned at the top.

I would like to have seen Smith by now, he has been great all year in the VFL.

nah.

got nothing.

ooops edit

Reece Conca... yeah that wasn't exactly the trade of the century

Mal Brown he was a character
and Maurice Rioli well seeing as I'm a south freo fan from way back I really enjoyed Rioli playing for Richmond. He was electric.

nah.

got nothing.

ooops edit

They stole Prescott and bondy too. The bad blood between these 2 fierce rivals runs deep

Stitched us up with Polak (not really as the trade actually helped us net Jack Riewoldt).

I got nothing too.

They stole Prescott and bondy too. The bad blood between these 2 fierce rivals runs deep

Stitched us up with Polak (not really as the trade actually helped us net Jack Riewoldt).

I got nothing too.
We can't even claim any participation in the Groom/McLeod trade.

The cupboard is bare just like in 'Old Mother Hubbard' nursery rhyme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back