Game Day Around The Grounds Rnds 6 - 10

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast have definitely clicked a bit since the Sydney swans game.

Any team that plays them in Perth and shows up with a similar attitude to Freo tonight will get similar treatment I expect.

The hype is more real for Reid than it is Naicos. Loves getting in the herd stuff too. Got as much guts as he does class.

Let’s all laugh at Norf for deciding the best thing for their long-term outlook is to beat GC in Round 24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see Freo get it up them.
Some of their muppet posters needed the humbling.
Some amazingly arrogant supporters considering they've literally never won a thing.

At start of year I would have had Simpson as coach most under pressure, with a dash of Bevo. Now it would be Longmuir, with a dash of Mitchell, Fagan and Nicks.
He's like Nathan Lyon. Second someone starts thinking his job might be on the line, he takes a 5 for or wins a game by 10 goals.

That constricting game Freo play is hard to maintain, and stifles all creativity within the team. They deliberately play a game that means their opposition is within range even if they are leading. It's not a game for success and they have been their under Ross. I just don't get it.

Then when the effort drops off, they get blown away.

They are blaming the schedule. I guess we will see.

That constricting game Freo play is hard to maintain, and stifles all creativity within the team. They deliberately play a game that means their opposition is within range even if they are leading. It's not a game for success and they have been their under Ross. I just don't get it.

Then when the effort drops off, they get blown away.

They are blaming the schedule. I guess we will see.
I don't agree.

Any plan is better than no plan, and what sets a good or workable plan apart from others is implementation and flexibility. Now, you might say that Freo are completely inflexible, but that's not looking at the layers involved; when they're playing badly and have lost players they cannot cover to injury, of course they look inflexible.

When they're playing well, they can change tack on a dime. You want contested ball? They can outperform us - ******* US - for 3 and a half terms. You want to blitz opposition? Have a look at Freo vs Melbourne at the G early last year; blew them off the park in the third term to the tune of 8 goals in a term without compromising structure. You want dour defense? There isn't a dourer setup in the AFL.

The key there is that Longmuir doesn't give his players as much licence as other coaches. He makes his plan A for opposition X, and it either works or it doesn't. I'd argue that his plans work more often than not, and he's hampered by available cattle in a different way to most sides; where most are hampered by injuries, he's hampered by a talent drain, in which he loses annually 1-2 best 22 footballers to other clubs.

He has to create and cultivate a method that works under those conditions. Dunno if there's a coach in the comp that could do that sustainably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back