Player Watch #6: Caleb Windsor – Round 8 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

The ironic thing is that for a skinny 19 year old winger he's actually remarkably good in the contest.

Kind of Josh Kelly/Isaac Smith hybrid but right footed.

The ironic thing is that for a skinny 19 year old winger he's actually remarkably good in the contest.

Kind of Josh Kelly/Isaac Smith hybrid but right footed.
The Kelly comparison is not a bad one. Has the makings of a really good inside-out mid. Doesn't quite have the silk of Kelly at this early stage, but is certainly quicker. Has a real nice balance to his game.

Was going to say the same thing, he's the sort of player you don't expect too many tackles from.
How often did we bemoan our wingers getting sucked into the contest to try to win the ball or tackle before we went and recruited some who actually know how to play the position? Not like he's shirking the contest when he does have to go either.

Playing his role fine and we're getting glimpses every game of something special.

The Kelly comparison is not a bad one. Has the makings of a really good inside-out mid. Doesn't quite have the silk of Kelly at this early stage, but is certainly quicker. Has a real nice balance to his game.
Obviously the Hunt comparisons have become a meme but they're literally nothing alike.

Hunt was a straight line player with little vision. Would run straight and kick straight, often missing better options in the process. Also often caught in the process.

Windsor is so well balanced and agile. Gets out of traffic really easily and that goal he kicked boy oh boy. To turn on that angle then straighten and kick it like he did on his right - freak.

Kelly is a far better kick (hes one of the best in the league so to be expected) but the agility in traffic, one touch pick ups, clean hands and staying calm under pressure is very similar.

Was going to say the same thing, he's the sort of player you don't expect too many tackles from.

I don't think a modern team can carry too many one-way runners. You're thinking is about 30 years behind the game.

How quickly people forget that one of the strengths of our 2021 side was the defensive work of Langdon and Brayshaw.

I don't think a modern team can carry too many one-way runners. You're thinking is about 30 years behind the game.

How quickly people forget that one of the strengths of our 2021 side was the defensive work of Langdon and Brayshaw.
Both of those players where established players by that point

Except he's not a one-way runner whatsoever. In fact, his defensive work was one of the primary strengths that scouts talked about.

Tackle numbers fluctuate on a wing due to the nature of the position. His goal-saving run down tackle against the Dogs is clear evidence of his commitment defensively.

I never said anything about two way running he actually does run both ways, I said he's the sort of player that you don't expect to lay too many tackles. He's also only four games into his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inexperience is not an excuse for poor work rate.
But if tackles are the be all and end all defensive metric, how is Langdon's defensive work good, considering he averages 2.0 tackles a game for his career? (1.9 in 2021, the year of his exceptional defensive work).

But if tackles are the be all and end all defensive metric, how is Langdon's defensive work good, considering he averages 2.0 tackles a game for his career? (1.9 in 2021, the year of his exceptional defensive work).

Are you seriously questioning his defensive work in 2021? Did you not have a TV then?

Are you seriously questioning his defensive work in 2021? Did you not have a TV then?
Lol no, I'm pointing out the futility of highlighting a winger's tackle stats. Nice try, though.

The thing with Windsor is that imo he's one of those few players where he needs to develop at AFL level. He needs exposure to the top level to perfect his own game. Running up and down a bogged wing at Casey with slower VFL boys will not hone his skills and decision making at speed and under pressure. The more he adjusts to AFL the more improved he'll be. I'm not saying his immune to being dropped, don't read it that way

The sample size anyway is promising enough, there will be teething issues. This is a kid in his 4th game. Some of you may question the disposals, but look at them.

In a close game in the last quarter;
Kicks a clutch goal
In defense he doesn't panic kick, he delays a second under pressure and releases Viney instead of sending a high ball to Alir and Ratugolea camped down the line
He hits up Fritsch who kicks the sealer

Even earlier in the game he hits up the opposite winger in Langdon who pushed forward

His possessions are meaningful and getting better. He's directly setup two goals and kicked one himself, so all up he's helped contribute to three goals in a 7 point win

Anyone who actually watched his under 18 footage would know how good his work rate is defensively. Some off his efforts were jaw dropping. There was a play where he was 1 on 2 and he laid a tackle on both players in the space of 3 seconds and got the HTB on the second tackle.

Anyone who actually watched his under 18 footage would know how good his work rate is defensively. Some off his efforts were jaw dropping. There was a play where he was 1 on 2 and he laid a tackle on both players in the space of 3 seconds and got the HTB on the second tackle.
Should have made three tackles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back