Autopsy Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones wasn’t injured. A big difference. Owens sat in the forward line where he contributed very little.
Pretty sure they could have come up with something other than an injured underdone player. Easy to say in hind sight but you have to question this decision given the outcome.
Well at least you’d think that’s what they’d be able to do.

Last season Ross wasn't playing anyone that was even half under done. He'd make them do a huge bank of work before considering them for selection.

He's going to make himself a fan favourite if he keeps up that kind of flattery. He was a couple of missed kicks off looking like a first game superstar. Still one of the better debuts in the last 15 years.
Ranked 1st among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game ● Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Goals Per Game
● Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game ● Ranked 3rd among rising stars in One Percenters Per Game
● Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game ● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
● Ranked 5th among rising stars in Kicks Per Game ● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Clangers Per Game
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Turnovers Per Game ● Ranked 7th among rising stars in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game ● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game
● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Supercoach Score Per Game ● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Time On Ground % Per Game
● Ranked 19th in Goals Per Game ● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
● Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Goals ● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Marks Inside 50
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Tackles ● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total One Percenters
● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Score Involvements ● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Kicks ● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Clangers
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Contested Possessions ● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total AFL Fantasy Score
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Time On Ground %

Sorry Stavro but everything suggests that ATM he is still a fwd/mid just as his draft profile states. I have seen nothing to suggest he provides sufficient value to be played as a full time mid. 12 possessions and 3 clearances confirms that.

If you're happy losing games because we play players in positions to which they aren't currently suited that's fine. I'd prefer we win.

The problem with the current structures is straight forward. If they don't play Phillipou as a mid where do they play him and who do they leave out?

King, Membrey, Higgins, Butler pick themselves in the fwd half. Owens has to play forward since they need him to ruck so he can't play as a mid as well. That leaves one spot for Sharman or Phillipou.

As we saw on Saturday when needed an extra tall in defence the only player we could turn to was Sharman which is exactly the reason why I suggested last week that I'd have used Sharman as the "swing" player who could fill in around the ground as required.

Do that then enables you to play Phillipou and Owens as rotating fwd/mids rather than expect a kid with 25 games under his belt to hold his own as a full time mid.

So there's the basis for my "off the cuff" comment, whats yours other than - oh we were gonna lose anyway so lets play the kids.

You realise he didn’t play as a full time mid? He had 7 centre bounce attendances.

Ross had 12 and did nothing in there by the way

Sorry Stavro but everything suggests that ATM he is still a fwd/mid just as his draft profile states. I have seen nothing to suggest he provides sufficient value to be played as a full time mid. 12 possessions and 3 clearances confirms that.

If you're happy losing games because we play players in positions to which they aren't currently suited that's fine. I'd prefer we win.

The problem with the current structures is straight forward. If they don't play Phillipou as a mid where do they play him and who do they leave out?

King, Membrey, Higgins, Butler pick themselves in the fwd half. Owens has to play forward since they need him to ruck so he can't play as a mid as well. That leaves one spot for Sharman or Phillipou.

As we saw on Saturday when needed an extra tall in defence the only player we could turn to was Sharman which is exactly the reason why I suggested last week that I'd have used Sharman as the "swing" player who could fill in around the ground as required.

Do that then enables you to play Phillipou and Owens as rotating fwd/mids rather than expect a kid with 25 games under his belt to hold his own as a full time mid.

So there's the basis for my "off the cuff" comment, whats yours other than - oh we were gonna lose anyway so lets play the kids.

You don't know what his instructions were. If he was told to sit on his player and don't let them win a clearance and he achieved that his stats are irrelevant. Lyon isn't an idiot, if he's not performing the role that is asked of him he's not staying in there.

Thoughts:

• as far as the St Kilda fans are concerned, the sleeping giant has awoken. Last year v Geelong was the first truly great St Kilda crowd in a long while, and the final was one too. I was at the St Kilda end on Saturday and it was noisy. The Geelong fans only woke up in the last quarter.
  • I thought Wilson was quiet but he snags two second half goals and how he got the last one (outrunning everyone to get on the end of the best kick of the night from King) tells you all you need to know about how valuable he will be.
  • I agree with some others that it absolutely needs to be an Owens/Phillipou rotation through midfield and half-forward.
  • Henry looked really dangerous at the ground. It was an almost game from him.
  • I didn't see anything to suggest our forward efficiency has improved (scores from entry percentage be damned, it was almost all hard work to score)
  • Great to see Membrey kick the first goal

Wilson was a tale of 2 halves. Looked way off the pace for a half and then came out and looked at home.

I really liked Henry's game, thought he provided energy and second and third efforts. I think he looks like a massive addition to the list.

Two brownlows, one norm smith and 650games : "This kid is a midfielder, we will play him there."

Bigfooty: "No, my sample size of one real highly contested game vs hardened geelong veterans on their near impenetrable home deck is clearly the most informed opinion."

Forward/mid … so he is a midfielder?

This mental gymnastics you are doing here is unbelievable. The kid is a midfielder that will pinch hit forward.

It isn’t fair to be blaming him for not having a big impact in game 25. He will look better when Dow/Clark/Sincs are in there supporting him. He will get better with games. he will get better when he is attending more then the 6 centre bounce attendances he had on Saturday night.

To his credit he also had 20 pressure acts. He also spent most of his time defending with 85% of his possessions coming in the back half.

let’s pick this discussion up again at the bye.
The only mental gymnastics going on is people trying to find a way to justify a 12 possession game from a player who was played as a full time mid.

Oh he's young, he's learning, he's not physically developed enough yet - all of which is true - and all of which support the view that he is not a full time mid as yet.

If his outputs had of come from playing as fwd/mid role (it is a thing - ask Christian Petracca who played that role for the first three years as he developed), then I'd have no complaints.

Rosco will be having dreams about this kid.
mr. burns fantasy GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and last week Billings got two possessions TOTAL. Melbourne can have him Hopefully they will also take Jones at the end of the year too
You do realise he was a sub last week yeah?

If we'd have had Billlings playing that game yesterday for us, we'd probably have won.
23 disp
15 marks
10 Score involvements
5 inside 50's
2 goal assists
1 goal

That's about a good a game as you could ask for, no need to bag him.

The only mental gymnastics going on is people trying to find a way to justify a 12 possession game from a player who was played as a full time mid.

Oh he's young, he's learning, he's not physically developed enough yet - all of which is true - and all of which support the view that he is not a full time mid as yet.

If his outputs had of come from playing as fwd/mid role (it is a thing - ask Christian Petracca who played that role for the first three years as he developed), then I'd have no complaints.

Except again, he wasn’t a full time mid.

Crouch was and he only had 15 possessions.

I'd love the stats that show he was a 'full time mid'

We watched very different Higgins games if you think he picks himself.

We watched very different Higgins games if you think he picks himself.
I reckon he’s been unfairly maligned, had a few critical errors but had a few really good ones as well. He’s a frustrating player because his best and worst are so far apart but he hasn’t got much competition at the moment. He’s just as likely to kick 5 on Thursday night.

You do realise he was a sub last week yeah?

If we'd have had Billlings playing that game yesterday for us, we'd probably have won.
23 disp
15 marks
10 Score involvements
5 inside 50's
2 goal assists
1 goal

That's about a good a game as you could ask for, no need to bag him.

He did play well, but lets see if he can do that consistently. For his sake I hope he can, sometimes a change of club and free air can be the making of players. We all know Jack can play but at the Saints his good games were too far apart.

Old mate Narkles Helmet having an absolute essay party on the main board sticking the boots into his supposed team and Lyon...
He’s pretty passionate about coaching. He’s big on how much soccer has changed through coaching and thinks we’re a bit behind the times. It’s just an opinion like everyone else has.

I reckon he’s been unfairly maligned, had a few critical errors but had a few really good ones as well. He’s a frustrating player because his best and worst are so far apart but he hasn’t got much competition at the moment. He’s just as likely to kick 5 on Thursday night.
Reckon your being very kind based on past performances. He’s very up and down but he was awful Saturday and his kicking only seems to be getting worse by the day at the moment. He has to go when butler is ready and if Collard was the sub and we’ve got others to come back he’s number 23 picked for me right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back