2024 Membership Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Map on the Ticketmaster website indicates the following for GMHBA games:

General Admission Seating - Bays A13 to A15 (Players Stand) + the seats in front of standing room in the Selwood Stand Bays A42-A44 (would assume standing area is also GA)
Away Team allocation - Bays A16 & A17 in Players Stand

Good that there is quite a bit of GA available - I would assume that these areas may be upgraded to reserve areas for high demand matches such as round 1 and when bigger teams play down here. The seating behind the goals at the Players Stand end could look pretty bare when interstate teams play down here though (can't imagine many interstate teams or smaller VIC club will sell out there new allocation but at least the constant whinging about only having a couple of hundred seats in the forward pocket should now stop

Map on the Ticketmaster website indicates the following for GMHBA games:

General Admission Seating - Bays A13 to A15 (Players Stand) + the seats in front of standing room in the Selwood Stand Bays A42-A44 (would assume standing area is also GA)
Away Team allocation - Bays A16 & A17 in Players Stand

Good that there is quite a bit of GA available - I would assume that these areas may be upgraded to reserve areas for high demand matches such as round 1 and when bigger teams play down here. The seating behind the goals at the Players Stand end could look pretty bare when interstate teams play down here though (can't imagine many interstate teams or smaller VIC club will sell out there new allocation but at least the constant whinging about only having a couple of hundred seats in the forward pocket should now stop

I’m pretty sure R1 is all reserved seating already. I wouldn’t think any interstate teams would fill 2 whole bays, I’m sure these would turn into GA closer to match day?

Just elitest drivel really. Anyone who supports the club in someway (Even if that is only yelling at channel 7 coverage from the deck chairs in your living room wearing a scarf their nana knitted in 1989) has the right to call themselves one if they choose.
No, not really.

Support the club financially. It's not that hard.

It's cheaper now to buy a digital membership than pay monthly for Kayo....there's your out.

You can save money and be a member.

No, not really.

It's cheaper now to buy a digital membership than pay monthly for Kayo....there's your out.

That is all fine if you can afford Kayo and your internet connection is up to streaming, and you're the only person in your house that supports a footy team. I agree the reasons are very small but one must never assume that everyone else's circumstances are the same as your own.

That is all fine if you can afford Kayo and your internet connection is up to streaming, and you're the only person in your house that supports a footy team. I agree the reasons are very small but one must never assume that everyone else's circumstances are the same as your own.

I've had Kayo in the past and couldn't cancel it fast enough. It's rubbish. That's $25-30 a month I'm very comfortable having in my own pocket.

I've had Kayo in the past and couldn't cancel it fast enough. It's rubbish. That's $25-30 a month I'm very comfortable having in my own pocket.
Perfect example Partridge. Thanks. I myself have had kayo since covid, a few issues originally but they've fixed those and it's pretty good now. Sometimes the shoe just doesn't fit all feet. Doesn't work when visit my folks in the country though.

No, not really.

Not if you need Kayo because you can't get to the game

Can I ask why?

Just stumbled on this post after asking about Kayo in another thread about 15 mins ago.....

Been a long time Foxtel customer but it's getting expensive and now they're forcing me to a platinum package that is, you guessed it, more expensive.

Can I ask why?

Just stumbled on this post after asking about Kayo in another thread about 15 mins ago.....

Been a long time Foxtel customer but it's getting expensive and now they're forcing me to a platinum package that is, you guessed it, more expensive.
Clearly we can all only speak from our own experiences. But I personally have found Kayo to be a mostly reliable platform for watching sport for several years now. At this stage, I don't have any problem with continuing to use it to watch the AFL and a number of other sports as well.

Mate this s**t is so simple-

If you can afford it, buy a membership and support the club. I’ve been a member since the year I started full time work. Since then I’ve signed up my kids and wife.

In the years since 2006 (when I was financially able to become a member- my first year) I definitely haven’t gotten value for money in terms of attending games, but I personally view it as a donation/contribution to the club. Some years I literally wasn’t able to attend a single game.

If you can’t afford to do it, no stress and you shouldn’t be judged BUT if you can and your argument is that I don’t get to enough games etc…. That’s complete BS.

As long as I can afford to I’ll be a member and anyone else who can afford to but chooses not to buy a membership (but hangs around a cats forum) should have a long hard look and themselves.

Do what you can. That’s all any reasonable person can ask of anyone.

Last edited:
Mate this s**t is so simple-

If you can afford it, buy a membership and support the club. I’ve been a member since the year I started full time work. Since then I’ve signed up my kids and wife.

In the years since 2006 (when I was financially able to become a member- my first year) I definitely haven’t gotten value for money in terms of attending games, but I personally view it as a donation/contribution to the club. Some years I literally wasn’t able to attend a single game.

If you can’t afford to do it, no stress and you shouldn’t be judged BUT if you can and your argument is that I don’t get to enough games etc…. That’s complete BS.

As long as I can afford to I’ll be a member and anyone else who can afford to but chooses not to buy a membership (but hangs around a cats forum) should have a long hard look and themselves.

Do what you can. That’s all any reasonable person can ask of anyone.
Excellent post Pods.

Can I ask why?

Thought it was really ordinary. Not reliable, and lots and LOTS of buffering. For context I have zero problems with anything internet-related or anything streamed. Add the fact that you know it was setup purely to gauge more money from fans and it was a very easy choice to ditch it.

As expensive as Foxtel is - and it is - at least it's reliable.

While the mere status of being a club member may not necessarily mirror the depth of one's emotional attachment or sense of ownership, it's crucial to recognize that circumstances often govern an individual's ability to formally join.

It's a source of frustration for me to witness instances where individuals, solely by being paid-up members, mistakenly assume a higher level of entitlement or ownership.

In my own experience, my membership with the club has been intermittent. However I consider myself to be a great supporter.

I can guarantee that if the club faces financial trouble, I will contribute more financially than many so-called members. I don't want any special recognition or do I feel as a consequence I have any special ownership in the club? Nor do I feel the need to justify my stance.

We must acknowledge the diverse ways in which individuals can contribute to and feel connected to a club beyond the confines of formal membership.

My main point is we should not belittle anyone who follows Geelong and enjoy their comradery as equals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's around $100 discount on your annual Kayo fees if you purchase the add on with your club membership FYI. Best of both worlds.

Speaking of memberships, has anyone received their member packs yet? I don't care for the stickers and other printed garbage but given we ridiculously have to scan in and out of the Social Club these days, we'll need the physical ticket and lanyard sent out soon.

Thought it was really ordinary. Not reliable, and lots and LOTS of buffering. For context I have zero problems with anything internet-related or anything streamed. Add the fact that you know it was setup purely to gauge more money from fans and it was a very easy choice to ditch it.

Yep, it's reliable, and expensive. Hence the quandary.

I have found Kayo to be quite reliable these days P. Initially there were lots of issues. But not so much anymore, it's a very seamless experience. Much has changed though on my end too. I bought a new smart TV one off season too, and that might have coincided with the improvements i experienced.

While the mere status of being a club member may not necessarily mirror the depth of one's emotional attachment or sense of ownership, it's crucial to recognize that circumstances often govern an individual's ability to formally join.

It's a source of frustration for me to witness instances where individuals, solely by being paid-up members, mistakenly assume a higher level of entitlement or ownership.

In my own experience, my membership with the club has been intermittent. However I consider myself to be a great supporter.

I can guarantee that if the club faces financial trouble, I will contribute more financially than many so-called members. I don't want any special recognition or do I feel as a consequence I have any special ownership in the club? Nor do I feel the need to justify my stance.

We must acknowledge the diverse ways in which individuals can contribute to and feel connected to a club beyond the confines of formal membership.

My main point is we should not belittle anyone who follows Geelong and enjoy their comradery as equals.
You seem to not have grasped the matter at hand.

1. The point that "... circumstances often govern an individual's ability to formally join" has been acknowledged many times and no one is putting that those stretched financially or have other pressing life issues should be of a mind to put in. I'm not sure how often that has to be posted before it sinks in.

2. The only ones raising the piffle about "entitlement" are people on your side of the equation. The reasons for that people can speculate.

3. You say you don't " feel the need to justify my stance" yet you've spent 6 paras doing just that.

4. The importance of membership was shown in a post that followed a post asking about the revenue raised from membership, as distinct from the numbers. The questioning post was an attempt at misdirection about dogs and cats being counted. Had you and others actually read the details in the attachment to the reply you'd have seen the central part membership plays in club revenue. And unlike many other sources of revenue, all membership fees go into our coffers.

And that did not factor in the significance of membership numbers in gaining sponsorship.

5. You've said you'd put in if the club was "..in financial trouble". What a good idea, let's wait until the club is down on its uppers before we seek to salvage it.

For my part, I want the club to continue to be strong off-field and on-field. One I can be chuffed to be a member of. Not one struggling in the key areas and needing tin rattling to save it.

6. It's of no surprise that Partridge has given your post a 'like', cos he's almost a professional naysayer when it comes to the club he purports to follow. I'm a bit surprised Fred is of a like mind though.:disappointed:

You seem to not have grasped the matter at hand.

1. The point that "... circumstances often govern an individual's ability to formally join" has been acknowledged many times and no one is putting that those stretched financially or have other pressing life issues should be of a mind to put in. I'm not sure how often that has to be posted before it sinks in.

2. The only ones raising the piffle about "entitlement" are people on your side of the equation. The reasons for that people can speculate.

3. You say you don't " feel the need to justify my stance" yet you've spent 6 paras doing just that.

4. The importance of membership was shown in a post that followed a post asking about the revenue raised from membership, as distinct from the numbers. The questioning post was an attempt at misdirection about dogs and cats being counted. Had you and others actually read the details in the attachment to the reply you'd have seen the central part membership plays in club revenue. And unlike many other sources of revenue, all membership fees go into our coffers.

And that did not factor in the significance of membership numbers in gaining sponsorship.

5. You've said you'd put in if the club was "..in financial trouble". What a good idea, let's wait until the club is down on its uppers before we seek to salvage it.

For my part, I want the club to continue to be strong off-field and on-field. One I can be chuffed to be a member of. Not one struggling in the key areas and needing tin rattling to save it.

6. It's of no surprise that Partridge has given your post a 'like', cos he's almost a professional naysayer when it comes to the club he purports to follow. I'm a bit surprised Fred is of a like mind though.
You pay too much for coffee

I think it's around $100 discount on your annual Kayo fees if you purchase the add on with your club membership FYI. Best of both worlds.

Speaking of memberships, has anyone received their member packs yet? I don't care for the stickers and other printed garbage but given we ridiculously have to scan in and out of the Social Club these days, we'll need the physical ticket and lanyard sent out soon.
Don't think we get a physical card this year, it's just scan in and scan out

Can I ask why?

Kayo is fine as long as you don't have dial up internet, or do have a 4G or better phone plan.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the correspondence you're receiving about Kayo here is from people that are still utilising two cans and a piece of string for communication.

Don't think we get a physical card this year, it's just scan in and scan out
Would hope not, waiting for people to open up their phones to get in at each break was a disaster last year. I spoke with someone responsible for this area last year and they said they would look to put barcodes back on the SC cards this year to make it less of an issue.

The email from the club this afternoon suggests that hopefully this is the case:

SOCIAL CLUB ROOM ACCESS

Members will scan in at the gate/s as usual to access GMHBA Stadium. However, to access the Social Club room, you will need to scan in upon entry and out upon exit of the Social Club room using the same entry method used at the gate. This is to ensure that only eligible members have access to the rooms. Please remember to have your ticket or barcoded card ready to scan as you enter/exit the room.

Another season about to commence and no sign of any of the membership packs. Same thing every year, takes multiple emails to get the packs sent out and they usually arrive after the games have started.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back