AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Yeah, what about it?

I don't have much of an idea of Melbourne's 'best' players under 25. There's a few names I recognise but there'd probably be 3 players out of that lot I'd happily have on WCE's list, if WCE had their current list and got to choose.

Those players would be Windsor(we need outside run), Pickett(elite) and Rivers.

That's not to disparage the rest but I don't think any of them add anything to what we currently have.
Well I think McVee is probably slept on but he's rated extremely highly internally. I expect him to be AA I the next few years. From WCE, I'd take Hewett, Ginbey, Reid, Bailey Williams and obviously Oscar Allen.

But to suggest you wouldn't take Petty is beyond ridiculous. He's basically Oscar Allen that is actually elite in the backline.

Well I think McVee is probably slept on but he's rated extremely highly internally. I expect him to be AA I the next few years. From WCE, I'd take Hewett, Ginbey, Reid, Bailey Williams and obviously Oscar Allen.

But to suggest you wouldn't take Petty is beyond ridiculous. He's basically Oscar Allen that is actually elite in the backline.
Doesn't your mob want to play Petty at FF? That's why I left him out.

I said you don't just need quality, you need quantity. are you choosing to skip over comments or something?

No you didn't actually, you said nothing at all about quantity and thank god our club aren't stupid enough to go down that proven to fail path...

The fact that you think you have a dire need for contested ball winners speaks volumes. You're not drafting for needs at the moment. You're drafting for best available. You don't need contested ball winners anymore than you need mids, forwards, backs and a ruck.

Every club in the AFL would take from pour last 2 drafts

Brady Hough - So slept on its weird. Kept Charlie Cameron possessionless in a 10+ goal drubbing for example.
Ryan Maric - projected top 15 pick when we got him in mid season draft, he would have been picked up in the draft, better then Van Rooyen
Harley Reid - Yes
Elijah Hewett - Solid first year but injuries didnt do much good
Noah Long - Great first year
Reuben Ginbey - Great first year
Archer Reid - Was going to get picked up this season
Clay Hall - Was going to get picked up this season
Harry Barnett - Athletic freak. Best of his ruck class last year and coming along well
Coby Burgiel- Should be in best 22 by middle of the year. Injuries did him bad last year but id put him ahead of say Hewett based on how club rates him internally so if Hewett is wanted Burgiel would be too
Rhett Bazzo - will take Jack Riewoldts opinion of him being very good ahead of yours. Unfortunately when your mum dies and you have zero pre season as a result, danster thinks its a non issue

Good haul for 2 drafts really.
Reid- Good
Ginbey - Good
Hewett - Good
Maric - Unproven. Good skills but has no physical presence. He's a 196cm flanker. Far worse than Van Rooyen who plays true key position.
Noah Long - Unproven. Had a good debut season. But he's a pressure forward and nothing else. Doesn't kick goals. At least, not yet. Spargo is his ceiling.
Bazzo: A highly rated junior that was picked #37. Not highly rated by clubs.
Archer Reid: Unproven. Not highly rated by teams. Taken at pick 30. Ironically Melbourne traded away pick 27 and 35 to Move from pick 14 to 11. That's how highly we rated the kids in the 30's. Facts.
Clay Hall: Unproven. Not highly rated by clubs.
Burgiel: Unproven at afl level.

Reid- Good
Ginbey - Good
Hewett - Good
Maric - Unproven. Good skills but has no physical presence. He's a 196cm flanker. Far worse than Van Rooyen who plays true key position.
Noah Long - Unproven. Had a good debut season. But he's a pressure forward and nothing else. Doesn't kick goals. At least, not yet. Spargo is his ceiling.
Archer Reid: Unproven. Not highly rated by teams. Taken at pick 30. Ironically Melbourne traded away pick 27 and 35 to Move from pick 14 to 11. That's how highly we rated the kids in the 30's. Facts.
Couldn’t be further off the mark with Long, kid is gonna be very very good. Not gonna bother with the rest of the s**t you spout like comparing Allen to Petty 😂

Define 'no physical presence', because he is rated elite for tackles. He's a sknny bloke who lost 20 kgs in the lead up to being drafted but has put on a fair bit of size during the off-season. Not bad for a bloke who was stacking shelves at Coles prior to being drafted, whereas JVR already had 1 and a half pre-seasons before he debuted.

Also doesn't punch blokes in the face, costing his team a forward target and having them go out in straight sets in finals...

Played every AFL game he was available, hasn't played WAFL. Pretty damn good for a bloke picked in the 50s, playing one of the hardest positions on the ground, in the worst team on record.

You wouldn't know this. Also, Jack Riewoldt sung his praises a while ago.

Umm, no. Melbourne were only ever going to take 2 picks in the ND, so why the hell wouldn't they use their later picks to move up the order.

Use your brain before posting please.

We had to trade up 2 places because Essendon were going to take him. Also the only non-Allies mid to make the AA team.

Obviously, been injured most of last year.

Couldn’t be further off the mark with Long, kid is gonna be very very good. Not gonna bother with the rest of the s**t you spout like comparing Allen to Petty 😂
Yeah, that's why Adelaide are frothing over Petty. Petty is a gun. Long may be good, but Spargo is still his ceiling. Spargo is decent, just had a poor year.

Either way, its understandable that WCE fans are biased on their list.

Many neutrals and people in the media believe that West Coast need more good players. i.e. splitting the pick.

Define 'no physical presence', because he is rated elite for tackles. He's a sknny bloke who lost 20 kgs in the lead up to being drafted but has put on a fair bit of size during the off-season. Not bad for a bloke who was stacking shelves at Coles prior to being drafted, whereas JVR already had 1 and a half pre-seasons before he debuted.

Also doesn't punch blokes in the face, costing his team a forward target and having them go out in straight sets in finals...

Played every AFL game he was available, hasn't played WAFL. Pretty damn good for a bloke picked in the 50s, playing one of the hardest positions on the ground, in the worst team on record.

You wouldn't know this. Also, Jack Riewoldt sung his praises a while ago.

Umm, no. Melbourne were only ever going to take 2 picks in the ND, so why the hell wouldn't they use their later picks to move up the order.

Use your brain before posting please.

We had to trade up 2 places because Essendon were going to take him. Also the only non-Allies mid to make the AA team.

Obviously, been injured most of last year.
To me physical presence is about crashing packs, loving the physicality, sticking knees in defenders backs, actually competing strongly in 1 on 1 contests. This sort of thing. Maric is not that sort of player. Which is okay. But he's just not that sort of player. I'm not saying JVR is perfect, he needs to work on his footy IQ and timing his leaps etc. but no neutrals are taking Maric over JVR.

Why was Melbourne only ever going to take 2? There's plenty of players we could cut to create the space. So why only take 2? Jason Taylor basically said that he didn't rate the draft after 20 odd. I did my research thanks.

To me physical presence is about crashing packs, loving the physicality, sticking knees in defenders backs, actually competing strongly in 1 on 1 contests. This sort of thing. Maric is not that sort of player. Which is okay. But he's just not that sort of player. I'm not saying JVR is perfect, he needs to work on his footy IQ and timing his leaps etc. but no neutrals are taking Maric over JVR.

Why was Melbourne only ever going to take 2? There's plenty of players we could cut to create the space. So why only take 2? Jason Taylor basically said that he didn't rate the draft after 20 odd. I did my research thanks.
Based on that description you must not rate Bayley Fritsch one bit?

Every neutral is taking Maric over JVR in 18 months time. Not even close. Maric showed as much as JVR 2 weeks removed from stacking shelves at Coles. If Maric was in the draft, id be surprised if he isnt the player youd have taken with your 2nd 1st rounder even.

Maric would take pressure off Fritsch who he is more like then JVR who is more of the bumbling slow forward

Yeah, that's why Adelaide are frothing over Petty. Petty is a gun. Long may be good, but Spargo is still his ceiling. Spargo is decent, just had a poor year.

Either way, its understandable that WCE fans are biased on their list.

Many neutrals and people in the media believe that West Coast need more good players. i.e. splitting the pick.
You have Harrison Petty and we have Oscar Allen... Like why is this a discussion :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hell even the dees offered 6,11 and a F1 is in the ball park. you need quantity, not just quality (Reid).
Trading Reid for what effectively ended up as Windsor and Tholstrup and some pick in the mid to late teens next year sounds like a horrible deal retrospectively. Thankfully we didn't go down this path.

We split our top pick last year.
There's every chance we do it again next year.
I think it's a bit short sighted to be diluting our top end talent in a year when there's a stand-out player who fits our needs exactly.

Who are your 9?
Rivers- 25 games
Pickett - 23 games
JVR - 20 games
Spargo - 14 games
Sparrow - 23 games
McVee - 25 games
Bowey - 23 games
Petty - 14 games (injured)
Chandler - 23 games

These are 9 games that are starting 22 in a team that finished 2nd on the ladder. West Coasts youngster are completely unproven at afl level.

Trading Reid for what effectively ended up as Windsor and Tholstrup and some pick in the mid to late teens next year sounds like a horrible deal retrospectively. Thankfully we didn't go down this path.

We split our top pick last year.
There's every chance we do it again next year.
I think it's a bit short sighted to be diluting our top end talent in a year when there's a stand-out player who fits our needs exactly.
I think it's probably a little unders I agree. But not too far off.

Sure, maybe neutrals would prefer JVR but he's also had an extra year in the system over Maric and plays for a top 4 side, which would heavily influence peoples' perception.

Not a bad player is JVR by any means, I don't see him being a next gen power forward however. Too undersized and doesn't have the elite attributes that someone like Curnow does.

Yes but the same bloke traded up for Tholstrup, who'd likely have been at the later pick anyway...

Having said that, he had a clear plan in mind.

NFW would I give up Reid for Windsor and Tholstrup, if WCE had of taken the deal.

The fact your own recruiting manager offered such a deal means he rates Reid far higher than what Melbourne ended up with, so why on Earth would WCE take that deal then?

You're talking about players under 21. So if we look at a guy like Jack Williams, taken pick #57 in the draft, so no clubs rated him, fast forward 2 seasons and he hasn't done anything at afl level after 10 games. So he hasn't moved the needle since being drafted.

So yes, pick number does matter in the first couple of years, unless they of course produce really well on field.
Pick 1 you could say is the best number

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harrison Petty is Oscar Allen in defense??

Sure, maybe neutrals would prefer JVR but he's also had an extra year in the system over Maric and plays for a top 4 side, which would heavily influence peoples' perception.

Not a bad player is JVR by any means, I don't see him being a next gen power forward however. Too undersized and doesn't have the elite attributes that someone like Curnow does.

Yes but the same bloke traded up for Tholstrup, who'd likely have been at the later pick anyway...

Having said that, he had a clear plan in mind.

NFW would I give up Reid for Windsor and Tholstrup, if WCE had of taken the deal.

The fact your own recruiting manager offered such a deal means he rates Reid far higher than what Melbourne ended up with, so why on Earth would WCE take that deal then?
Who said anything about being generational? Literally no other player in the afl is like Curnow so why would you expect JVR to be? But JVR can become a very good forward for 10 years like Mihocek. Tough and strong.

Melbourne is in a COMPLETELY different position. we are drafting for the now. You sre drafting for the future.
Harrison Petty is Oscar Allen in defense??
Petty is a better defender.

Who said anything about being generational? Literally no other player in the afl is like Curnow so why would you expect JVR to be? But JVR can become a very good forward for 10 years like Mihocek. Tough and strong.

Melbourne is in a COMPLETELY different position. we are drafting for the now. You sre drafting for the future.

Well there you go, you arrived at the conclusion as to why Melbourne's draft strategy was the way it panned out, all by yourself.

Congrats.

Still, a bit weird how Melbourne had no interest in developing their KPP stocks, considering May's getting on, BB is shot, Schache's a total spud and Gawn's close to retirement.

Adelaide will come hard to Petty again until he either leaves, or signs a new contract.

Relying on an undersized Fritsch and JVR to lead your forward line for the next decade seems fraught with danger.

Cupboard is pretty bare and they completely ignored stocking up on KPP's in a draft flush with them.

Odd decision.

Well there you go, you arrived at the conclusion as to why Melbourne's draft strategy was the way it panned out, all by yourself.

Congrats.

Still, a bit weird how Melbourne had no interest in developing their KPP stocks, considering May's getting on, BB is shot, Schache's a total spud and Gawn's close to retirement.

Adelaide will come hard to Petty again until he either leaves, or signs a new contract.

Relying on an undersized Fritsch and JVR to lead your forward line for the next decade seems fraught with danger.

Cupboard is pretty bare and they completely ignored stocking up on KPP's in a draft flush with them.

Odd decision.
because we go best available with the early picks.
gawns got like 4 years left. Still killing it.

we picked up Jefferson with our first rounder last year. it's important that he develops.

Rivers- 25 games
Pickett - 23 games
JVR - 20 games
Spargo - 14 games
Sparrow - 23 games
McVee - 25 games
Bowey - 23 games
Petty - 14 games (injured)
Chandler - 23 games

These are 9 games that are starting 22 in a team that finished 2nd on the ladder. West Coasts youngster are completely unproven at afl level.
If JVR is in Maric is in
If Spargo is in, then Im in. Im aware im not on a AFL list but im better at football then Spargo
If Chandler is in then Petrucelle/Jones/anyone who resembles one of Eagles small forwards is in also

You really have

Rivers
Pickett
Sparrow
Bowey
McEvee
Petty

Just a heap of role players outside of Pickett whose got star quality. If you offered me all 6 I wouldnt give you Harley Reid for example

Remove this Banner Ad

Back