Opinion North Board-Media & Entertainment

Remove this Banner Ad

Justified, City Primeval : Old mate U.S. Marshall Raylan Givens is back in a spin off series of the original Justified. First 2 episodes quite good, i'm in.
The original was brilliant.

I've been on a few long flights in recent weeks so I did what most people do - watched films that I would not otherwise choose to watch.

So, I watched John Wick 1 and it was pretty good. Then I watched John Wick 2 and it was also pretty good, maybe better. Then I watched John Wick 3 and WT actual F? Has there ever been a bigger waste of time, ever? I already had my fill of Keanu doing judo throws from the first two films, so another film full of them was just pointless.

But I'll probably watch John Wick 4 when I'm next on a flight.

Justified, City Primeval : Old mate U.S. Marshall Raylan Givens is back in a spin off series of the original Justified. First 2 episodes quite good, i'm in.

Started it tonight. First episode was classic Raylen.

I’m a big fan of Justified.

Also really enjoying Hijack. Can’t wait for the finale next week.

Started it tonight. First episode was classic Raylen.

I’m a big fan of Justified.

Also really enjoying Hijack. Can’t wait for the finale next week.
If you like Taylor Sheridan's stuff ( Tulsa King, Mayor of Kingstown, Yellowstone etc ), his latest series, Special Op's : Lioness quite good 2 ep's in so far.

The One Piece live action on Netflix is an incredibly good watch.

They've done well to compress 80ish episodes of the anime into an 8 episode season, kept pretty true to the source material and the casting is phenomenal (the casting of Dracule Mihawk is ridiculously good).

Suggest giving it a look even if you're not into anime, it's very watchable.

Some spoilers in the following video, but a very fun scene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've done well to compress 80ish episodes of the anime into an 8 episode season, kept pretty true to the source material and the casting is phenomenal (the casting of Dracule Mihawk is ridiculously good).

My daughter is obsessed with anime. Is it appropriate for a 12 year old ?

My daughter is obsessed with anime. Is it appropriate for a 12 year old ?
There's one butt, and quite a few fight scenes.

Small amount of blood but they try and go easy on it, theres a scene where someone gets a pretty significant wound (which they're saying "wheres he bleeding from... everywhere" and you cannot see any blood.

I would say its suitable as long as you don't mind a lot of choreographed fight scenes, complete with tonnes of wire work etc.

There's one butt, and quite a few fight scenes.

Small amount of blood but they try and go easy on it, theres a scene where someone gets a pretty significant wound (which they're saying "wheres he bleeding from... everywhere" and you cannot see any blood.

I would say its suitable as long as you don't mind a lot of choreographed fight scenes, complete with tonnes of wire work etc.

Sweet. I’ll see if she’s interested. Anime has really captured her imagination. Since she got into it she’s started spending hours drawing. Not just anime stuff but either. It’s like it lit a flame of her imagination

Sweet. I’ll see if she’s interested. Anime has really captured her imagination. Since she got into it she’s started spending hours drawing. Not just anime stuff but either. It’s like it lit a flame of her imagination
If she really gets into it, the One Piece anime has over 1000 episodes.
CrunchyRoll has at least part of it for free on their site.
Originally created by a 17 year old, so who knows what she might end up doing if you stoke that creativity ;)

The casting of Buggy was ridiculously good.

The casting of Buggy was ridiculously good.
Freaking insane.
He was so-so in the anime for me, take him or leave him. But the casting for the live action made the character.
Have seen videos where people have said he was so good acting on set that all the extras gave him rounds of applause when he finished particular scenes.

Personally love Mihawk's though. Such a cool character that they gave some real depth and pizazz to, and his delivery was top notch.

Freaking insane.
He was so-so in the anime for me, take him or leave him. But the casting for the live action made the character.
Have seen videos where people have said he was so good acting on set that all the extras gave him rounds of applause when he finished particular scenes.

Personally love Mihawk's though. Such a cool character that they gave some real depth and pizazz to, and his delivery was top notch.
I have watched up the Cipher-9 arc in the anime, before giving up on it, so it will be interesting how they fill so many arcs into a few seasons.

I have watched up the Cipher-9 arc in the anime, before giving up on it, so it will be interesting how they fill so many arcs into a few seasons.
I only really got through Alabaster before uni took over my life. So I'm starting over fresh and going again. I've heard it gets way better in the 2nd half.

Favourites directors? Right now I'm on a Denis Villeneuve splurge, revisiting his work and catching any I've not yet seen. What a body of work.

Incendes, Arrival and Sicario are three of my favourite films, with Dune and Blade Runner 2049 spectacular pieces of visionary work. Prisoners is pretty good too, and Enemy quite the trip. Not yet seen Polytechnique but will get to that soon.

Next up is Andrei Tarkovsky.

Currently listening to the 1975 historical fiction Audio book Shōgun by James Clavell. It’s fantastic. Just checked to see if there was a movie/TV show and it turns out there’s a tv series coming out in Feb. Can’t wait.

I read the whole series of books when I was a late teenager, borrowed from the Rosebud Public Library. King Rat (the 2nd last in the series?) is a fantastic book - set in a Japanese WW2 POW camp in Singapore. I’m pretty sure based on James Clavell’s real life experiences.

From memory, there’s also an 80’s mini series based on Shogun - haven’t seen it though.

I read the whole series of books when I was a late teenager, borrowed from the Rosebud Public Library. King Rat (the 2nd last in the series?) is a fantastic book - set in a Japanese WW2 POW camp in Singapore. I’m pretty sure based on James Clavell’s real life experiences.

From memory, there’s also an 80’s mini series based on Shogun - haven’t seen it though.

You’re correct mate, there was a series made in the 80’s.

I will definitely listen to the rest of the ‘Asian Saga’ books.

Do they need to be read in chronological order?

1. Shogun: The Epic Novel Of Japan Book.
  2. Tai-Pan Book.
  3. Gai-Jin Book.
  4. King Rat Book.
  5. Noble House Book.
  6. Whirlwind Book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back